Posted by xxYoungFatexx (99 posts) - - Show Bio

Are these movies doing more harm than good?

I am sorry if I am spouting too much of my beliefs. However, several blogs caught my attention, and I wanted to convey my point of view on these comic book movies. I, like many others, enjoy these comic adaptions. However, when issues over source material come into play, or rather being nonexistent, I always begin to question these movies.

From a business standpoint, these movies cater to those who do not know much or anything about the characters or series. This is my problem: when you drastically change things, dissimilar to comics, how much does that affect someone (if) when they decide to buy a comic book. I will put it simply; I believe movies ignoring source material do more harm than good. If someone watches a movie, most likely, this person will expect nearly the same character in the books. Humans react this way, in my opinion.

When you distance material between these two mediums, you divide the consumers. To be honest, comic books have many problems right now, some their fault and others because of competition. So, why add another competition to an already struggling industry? Who in their right mind would dish out about 4 dollars a month, while these movies exist for a onetime fee?

I am unaware exactly how these movies help the comic book industry, but based on discussions with comic book storeowners, these movies cause a brief spurt of more sales. However, why does this spurt end so rapidly? Next to improbable prices, comic books also have to compete with these movies, which change preexisting characters, and then the audiences, who only watch the movies, are disconnected. (Now, this is not true with everyone.)

I am a firm believer that animation helps comic books more than films because both are drawn. That is for a later blog, though. Back to the topic, I honestly do not care how good a film is when it comes to comic books. I may be flamed for this, but me, being in a loop with Hollywood’s exploitation of comic books, if I dare call it exploitation, do not understand their motive, except making lots of money.

The King, Jack Kirby predicted the success of these adaptations. Going as far to say, “Science fiction themes are very popular with Hollywood producers… they probably will do very well when exhibited to the public.” this is very true and has been proven. However, what will happen when (or if) the day these studios move onto the next subject? If comic book sales are this stagnant with the aid of movie adaptions, which are breaking box office records, what is in store for this medium’s future without the movies help?

In my opinion, these movies have become a competing crutch for this industry. Before the days of these movies, I do not believe the majority/ many of comic book writers were also screen directors, writers. Now, the very people, who make these movies, which cause my problem, are writing Comic books. I love Joss Whedon, Bendis, Christopher Nolan (Who I know is not writing comics), and I respect their visions and adaptations. However, there must be a time and place, where I must ask, what does the industry really gain with these movies? Your first response will be either exposure or money. This is true, but Superman, Spiderman, or Batman has always been big names, without these movies aid. In addition, they have always been able to sell (merchandise wise, cartoons, etc.).

Now, at the end of the day, I am a comic book fan first. These movies are amazing I cannot deny that. On the other hand, I ask those who are fans of comic books too question what exactly comic books are gaining with their deals with Hollywood. I hope, and I know without a shadow of a doubt, comic books will survive through any crisis.

Jack Kirby's Interview

#1 Edited by CrimsonCake (2677 posts) - - Show Bio

More recognition and media attention from mainstream audiences?

#2 Posted by xxYoungFatexx (99 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonCake said:

More recognition and media attention from mainstream audiences?

It is definitely for those reasons. However, I wonder how many movies you can create of the same story. It seems these movies are attempting to do what they do in comics, reuse the same material repeatedly, only making slight changes to the story. Unlike comics, I do not think it will work for this medium. Soon it will be rebooting the reboot time after time. If these comics are for attracting mainstream audiences, I hope the industry plans to use lesser-known heroes, or even villains more. They deserve/need more airtime than the “big three”, in my opinion.

#3 Posted by joewell (6365 posts) - - Show Bio

i say its doing good. because if a kid dosent know about the comics then the movie can intruduce them to the charters. like i watched the percy jackson movie and thought it was great, but when i read the books i relized how much its strayed from the book. the same can be saidfor the comics

#4 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5884 posts) - - Show Bio

The only big issue I have with comic book movies dealing with the success of comic books is that the material in comic books are often changed so that way, people who haven't read the comic books but have seen the movie will enjoy the comic books more because it's what they saw in the movies. Whenever changes to the comic books happened because of the movies, the continuity starts getting mixed up and it's hard for both fans of the movies and the comic books to tell the difference between the two universes.

#5 Posted by Shawnbaby (10773 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think the comics lose anything at all from the movie adaptations. If someone likes the movie and decides to start reading the comics and continues to do so...then they have gained a reader. If that same person buys a comic and decides he doesn't wish to continue reading them...they lose nothing.  The movie inspired this person to buy the comic....otherwise they may never have done so. Maybe the movie inspires former readers to come back and take a look at the characters they used to enjoy.

As a reader myself, as long as they don't change too much about the characters involved, I tend to enjoy the movies...but it's not the same experience at all as reading the comics. 

#6 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

i think it helps it brings in more readers, thus keeping the industry alive longer.but the negative part is if the movie is good you'll get a mass wave of annoying fanboys of that charecter.

#7 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

increased fan base...if not increased readership (but not much)

#8 Posted by menaceforever (3696 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing. Although we earn more uneducated users.

#9 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

Money, lots of money.

#10 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20239 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis said:

Money, lots of money.

Exactly this.

You see, if they make a movie about a comic book, it would gain more attention. When it gains more attention, it will most likely gain viewers. When it gains more viewers, it will probably gain a larger fanbase. When it has a larger fanbase movie sales and comic book sales both boost up, hence gaining lots, and lots, of more money.

#11 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@DocFatalis said:

Money, lots of money.

Exactly this.

You see, if they make a movie about a comic book, it would gain more attention. When it gains more attention, it will most likely gain viewers. When it gains more viewers, it will probably gain a larger fanbase. When it has a larger fanbase movie sales and comic book sales both boost up, hence gaining lots, and lots, of more money.

Not to mention the action figures, T-shirts etc...

#12 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20239 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis said:

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@DocFatalis said:

Money, lots of money.

Exactly this.

Not to mention the action figures, T-shirts etc...

And a possibility of a Movie Video game. (shivers)

#13 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

I got into comics through movies, and much preferred comics (and characters) to movies.

#14 Posted by xxYoungFatexx (99 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think we all can agree that comic book adaptations, toys, video games, etc. are a hot commodity. It is just very disappointing that comic books are not having that same success anymore.

#15 Posted by RoboShark (1271 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno.

But I know when my daughter was born at the beginning of 09. I wanted to read Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns, and I can't put the sh-t down now. I freak out when I go 2 or 3 weeks without reading on-goings.