What Defines a Superhero/Villain?

Impy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Impy

My definition of a superhero or supervillain is any hero or villain who has superhuman abilities; abilities that have supernatural origin, mutations, or skills that cannot be learned by a normal human. Pretty simple. But I've been wondering lately, because definitions seem to vary widely. For example, I've seen the Chameleon being called a supervillain. And even though Batman has no super-powers, he is often called a superhero.

So what do you guys think? What differentiates a superhero/villain from just a plain hero/villain?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A superhero is usually a hero with superhuman abilities. As has been said many times "anyone can be a hero".

That being said, there are some heroes (namely Batman, Captain America) who don't have superhuman powers or abilities but are able to accomplish superhuman feats, which in a sense makes them superheroes.

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Are you trying to imply that Lex Luthor is not a super villain?

Impy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laserlambert: No, not at all. I don't even read Superman. The only Superman I've read is from the late 50s-early 60s. That gave me nearly incurable anti-Superman bias. The only good thing there was the Mr. Mxyzptlk story. You wouldn't happen to have any bias antidotes on hand, would you?

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Moral values and their ideology. Best example is Magneto. He has strong moral values being a mutant who sees mankind as inferior and views them as a problem that needs to be solved. But as the years have passed he his moral values and ideology of this concept had changed. Captain America has strong moral values of upholding whats right in the world that's the reason he became captain america to stop the injustice of the nazi germany was creating in WWII. Kang believes he should be the ruler of the world that he was born to rule the world and will travel to any time to gain the power he needs and not even a future version of himself (immortus) can change his ideology. Batman sticks to his moral value of never using guns (broke the rule once) becuase of what happened to his parents by a criminal with a guy. spider-man sticks to his moral value of great power comes with great responsibility. I can go on but I feel what makes a hero and a villain is their views of the world their moral values and their ideology.

Impy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanrocket: You're talking about simple heroes and villains, correct? In my original post I was referring to superheroes and supervillains. Good points though. :)