What country is mostly associated with blue?

PrinceMarvel_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I know that green is Ireland, Yellow is China, and Red (at least by extension) is associated with Russia, but which country is blue mostly associated with?

I'm doing this for a story I am writing.

I also prefer not to have any countries that are similar to the other three that I already have, e.g. since I have Russia, I do not want any other Slavic countries; Since I have China, I do not want any other Oriental country; or, since I have Ireland, I do not want any countries within the United Kingdoms.

Any help would be great.

Ishkafel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

China is associated with yellow? I always associated China with red same with Russia. Anyways most color associations I have tend to fit similarly with the flags (uninspiring I know) so as far as blue I'd go with France or Australia.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By PapiNacho

Australia?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@princemarvel: China is pretty red yo. Yellow seems a little...racist. Unless you're thinking that way because of the Yellow river. But even then...

Blue I'd associate with the U.S. or France. Maybe Sweden too (it's all about the flag colors).

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say if one is from a country that has a certain color in their flag, they're bound to associate that color with their own country. That's just how nationalism works.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Every strategy game I have played has blue as France's color.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Outside_85

I would say France, seeing as they are sometimes refered to as Le Bleu.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By Strider1992

France

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finland, The Balkans, Argentina, Scotland to name a few

The EU is also blue if that helps

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If azure counts as blue then Italy especially their football team.

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

was just about to mention this.But the strange thing is Blue is not in the national flag.The reason has something to do with the old Italian Royal family.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tupiaz

@tupiaz said:

was just about to mention this.But the strange thing is Blue is not in the national flag.The reason has something to do with the old Italian Royal family.

Yeah I know. The same goes for Oranje (the nickname of the national football team of the Netherlands) again a country or at least some of the country is connected with a colour (in the case of the Netherlands if you haven't figure it out it is orange) that has nothing to do with the nation's flag.

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

@chaos_prime said:

@tupiaz said:

Yeah I know. The same goes for Oranje (the nickname of the national football team of the Netherlands) again a country or at least some of the country is connected with a colour (in the case of the Netherlands if you haven't figure it out it is orange) that has nothing to do with the nation's flag.

I know the Dutch Royal Standard has the Orange.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tupiaz

@tupiaz said:

@chaos_prime said:

@tupiaz said:

I know the Dutch Royal Standard has the Orange.

But that is not the national flag it is the flag of the Royal family and the oranje has its ties here.

This is the flag of the Netherlands.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#16  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

France

PrinceMarvel_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually yellow is still China, and it's not because of their skin color, yellow is very important in Chinese history and culture.

Here is an excerpt from wikipedia.

---

In China

Yellow has strong historical and cultural associations in China, where it is the color of happiness, glory, and wisdom. In China, there are five directions of the compass; north, south, east, west, and the middle, each with a symbolic color. Yellow signifies the middle. China is called the Middle Kingdom; the palace of the Emperor was considered to be in the exact center of the world.

The name of the legendary first Emperor of China, Huang Ti, meant literally "the Yellow Emperor." The last emperor of China, Puyi (1906–67), described in his memoirs how every object which surrounded him as a child was yellow. "It made me understand from my most tender age that I was of a unique essence, and it instilled in me the consciousness of my "celestial nature" which made me different from every other human."

The Chinese Emperor was literally considered the child of heaven, with both a political and religious role, both symbolized by yellow. Only members of the Imperial household were permitted to wear yellow. Distinguished visitors were honored with a yellow, not a red, carpet.

In Chinese symbolism, yellow, red and green are masculine colors, while black and white are considered feminine. In the traditional symbolism of the two opposites which complement each other, the yin and yang, the masculine yang is traditionally represented by yellow. Just as there are five elements, five directions and five colors in the Chinese world-view, there are also five seasons; summer, winter, fall, spring, and the end of summer, symbolized by yellow leaves.

---

I'm not looking for flag colors, I know flag colors, I'm a vexillologist (somene who studies flag). There are two reasons why a flag might have blue in them, and it is usually accompanied by red and white, it is either a flag that excercises freedom (United States, France, United Kingdoms) or it is a Slavic country (Russia, Check Republic, Yugoslavia).

What I'm looking for are colors that symbolize a country, usually it is on their flag because it symbolizes that country. For example, red is on Russia's flag because red is symbolic of communism. Green is on the Irish flag, because it symbolizes their Celtic roots. Even though it is not on their flag, yellow symbolizes China because of their history (not their skin color).

---

And points go to Outside_85 for bringing of France as Les Bleu. I was thinking about switching Ireland to blue for it's association with Saint Patrick's Blue, and then use green for Arabic culture; however, I will instead use blue.

Basically, I am creating an Oz-ish story, using red, yellow, blue and green as my four countries (the colors of the four classical elements), and I'm going to decorate each country with the mythologies of the country they represent.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By JakeN7

@princemarvel: Doesn't matter, it's still iffy. I don't care if Ghana has a rich history with the color black, giving them black is still pretty terrible.

PrinceMarvel_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But it is because of their history and not the skin tone which makes it racist. If I had picked yellow because I was associated with their skin color, then it would indeed be racist. However, it is because of their history with that color that connects it with their symbolism, that's not racist.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Australia

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

England.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Greece? Flag is blue and white.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny, Italy has green, white and red on the flag, but the color we associate it with is blue. For example, the national soccer team has blue shirts and we call them "gli azzurri" which means "the blue ones"... in our language the color blue has no significance regarding the mood.

PrinceMarvel_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the help, but I've decided to go a somewhat different route. Each of the basic primary (red, yellow, blue) and secondary (orange, green, purple) have a royal shade. So I'm going to go with the countries that my four colors symbolize royalty. With the exception of Russia, they are the same. Red is Greece, Yellow is China, blue is France, and green is Ireland (I don't know if green represents royalty in Ireland, but still wish to use Ireland because green symbolizes the Celts).

And to settle any confusion, I am taking inspiration from their mythology.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This is of topic but.... england?.... New Zealand... Australia?