What characters make for the best stories? (Street level or Extremely Powerful Heroes)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Poll What characters make for the best stories? (Street level or Extremely Powerful Heroes) (12 votes)

Street levelers such as Daredevil, Hawkeye, The Punisher, Deadpool 50%
Superheroes who live up to the title "super" eg. Thor, Superman, Lanterns, Thanos storylines ect 50%

I'm wondering what you guys think. Personally I've taken a big preference to street level characters and I'm planning on reading a lot of Daredevil, Punisher, Hawkeye, Deadpool, those type of guys. I just like this idea of vulnerability with my characters. And all the different power scales of characters gets a bit confusing at times, so it keeps things simple when you know your preferred hero will die when shot. Although, I'm reading Guardians of the Galaxy and New Avengers right now and I'm enjoying both. What do you guys think?

• 
Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Any of them as long as the writer know what he/she is doing.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good way of putting it! But no preference in terms of what you read?

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

@black_claw said:

Good way of putting it! But no preference in terms of what you read?

Eh, if I had to choose I'd have to say the "super" ones.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Veshark

There was a thread like this a long time back, as I recall, it blew into a pretty explosive debate.

That aside, I started out with street-level characters. Superheroes like Batman and Moon Knight appealed to me with their gritty, dark stories. The vulnerability was definitely a selling point, as was the overall depressing mood of these stories. Overtime though, I've come to appreciate the brighter, more superheroic comics as well. At present, I think I enjoy superhero comics of different styles - it just depends on my mood on a particular day. Some days I might prefer reading Brubaker's Captain America. In others, I might want to read Fraction's Iron Man. Et cetera.

I have to say that I don't care much for cosmic stories though. Characters like Thanos or the Silver Surfer never grabbed me, and neither do events like the Sinestro Corps War.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I tend to lean more towards street level characters. But I'll read anything by a favorite writer or if it gets a good recommendation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: Yeah we're pretty similar then. I'm also not crazy about cosmic stuff, despite how cool Silver Surfer seems.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I should of made a third option for people without a preference... ah well, the threads mainly for discussion purposes.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I echo it depends on the writer.

For instance, Grant Morrison has written a very good Batman story and is still wrapping it up.

Jonathan Hickman wrote an excellent Fantastic Four story.

Street or super doesn't matter. It's also going to come down to taste.

jonEsherfey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By jonEsherfey

I guess I slightly prefer Street Levelers because I love Batman and Green Arrow but with the right writer either one can be just as good.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know personally I prefer the character in the middle like Spiderman,Most of Marvel mutant and other character like that.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By SOG7dc

i think it really depends on the writer. its harder to write an extremely powerful character because they're just that, extremely powerful. (especially superman because of the clark/superman balance when most other characters that powerful don't have a secret identity)

there are more good street level stories because its easier to relate to but by no means does that make them inherently better. superman for tomorrow, all star superman, thor and the god butcher, blackest nightm rebirth, superman earth one, silver surfer requiem, war of the green lanterns all of these are GREAT stories for cosmic level characters in my humble opinion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: I hear ya.

Yeah what I'm more or less taking away from this thread is that any story can be enjoyed as long as it is well written. Though some people may still prefer a certain type of character because of the story they bring. For instance you wouldn't normally see Daredevil out in space fighting some powerful alien race, he'd more likely be in Hell's Kitchen doing his thing.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@i_like_swords:

yeah man. its easier to relate to daredevil or batman because no matter how skilled or prepared they are, one bullet could end them, they can b poisoned, stabbed drowned. but superman for instance...the guy takes showers in the sun lol but I don't think that makes one character better or worse than another.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

Street level. But I will still read "super" comics.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Street level. But I will still read "super" comics.

Couldn't think of a better way to phrase it than "super" haha.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@i_like_swords:

yeah man. its easier to relate to daredevil or batman because no matter how skilled or prepared they are, one bullet could end them, they can b poisoned, stabbed drowned. but superman for instance...the guy takes showers in the sun lol but I don't think that makes one character better or worse than another.

definitely doesn't make one character better than another, just wanted to see if and why people had a preference. but yeah that's kind of why I prefer street level characters and also some of them have dark gritty stories like Batman, punisher, daredevil, they all had some traumatic experience which kickstarted them into the hero business. that kinda stuff appeals to me.

Chronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Extremely powerful characters.

krunkeela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the fact that there's a full spectrum of power with all the heroes and villains so that I have a better sense of how strong some of these guys are.