What caused comic art to change?

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JulieDC

I am not sure how to explain this but while at my library, I was looking at some comics from the 1990s, and noticed that the art you see by the late 1990s/early 2000s looks very different from the 1980s and early 1990s. I guess what I want to know is, was there a catalyst for this change? Did technology change or the kind of materials used or something?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Veshark

I know in the 90s Image started using computer-coloring, and slowly other publishers began to imitate them. By the late 90s I believe the whole trend of 'EXTREME heroes with tough names and armor and five o' clock shadows' had worn out. In the 2000s, superhero art has taken a bigger pool of variety - we have photorealistic artists like Hitch or Epting, cartoony ones like Bachalo or McGuiness, or just straight-up superhero ones like Jim Lee and Reis.

Nightwing4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The CG looking art I've never liked. There are some good stories featuring that style, but not my taste. I prefer Greg Capullo and Eddie Barrows styles of art.

Avatar image for mynamewasdeleted
MyNameWasDeleted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, now this is a deep topic... the evolution of art. Younger artists bring all that has come before them as reference, and strive to push boundaries with their own stylistic approaches, all the while dialoging (visually- through their work) with other artists.. borrowing this or that... tweaking a design... and continuing to push boundaries to achieve something they can be satisfied with. Knowing all the time they will never be content, always need to work and re-work a piece, only the inevitable deadline stays the artist's hand and fixes it in place.

my 2 cents

Tacos_Kickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics are made on computers now which allows for better production of the art. Which is why you'll notice comics from before the 80's look like they was colored in with crayons. If you want to see some art made on computers to see how its done just YouTube something like " how to draw batman" and most of the videos will be of someone drawing a batman on a computer using a tablet.