What can you do if you have the power to control Atoms?

DeadCosmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DeadCosmos

I wondered if you have the power to manipulate, create and control Atoms, what could you do? I have a feeling the Silver Surfer has this power, but I don't know...

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By joshmightbe

the ability to create and control atoms would make you a god for all intents and purposes

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By joshmightbe

@Glitch_Spawn: you could alter the mass of objects to give the appearance of super human strength, and give your self a de facto healing factor rendering yourself immortal

Nightshade50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Nightshade50

Create Gold out of nothing.... $$$ Or discover undiscovered Elements..... Nobel Prize. Or Get rid of all this problems with the environment and stuff.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7  Edited By SC  Moderator

This is like asking what can you do if you have the power to control hands. Depends on how many your talking about. Depends on what kind of control. 

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Billy Batson

anything.
BB

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By joshmightbe

@Nightshade50: you could actually create new elements so you wouldn't need to discover them

Nightshade50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Nightshade50

@joshmightbe: Thats what I am saying

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By turoksonofstone
@Billy Batson said:

anything.
BB

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By difficlus

Dr Solar has energy manipulation.

Energy manipulation is the real meat of those god-like powers. Matter is energy too...

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By difficlus

@Enzeru said:

@difficlus said:

Dr Solar has energy manipulation.

Energy manipulation is the real meat of those god-like powers. Matter is energy too...

Are you sure about that one? D: Shoudn't they call him "Man of the Energy" then, instead of "Man of the Atom"? D: I are am confused! D:

In valiant his true power was around energy manipulation. It just looked like he manipulates matter due to the narrow minds of humans who perceived his powers.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By Timandm

You're basically talking about the power of the The Molecule Man. Are you familiar with him? There was a mutant named Mr. M. who had this power as well to a lesser extent...

But you have to dfeine exactly what you mean by "control atoms." Are you saying one would have the power to:

1. Speed up atoms or slow them down.
  2. Split them? (likely resulting in a nuclear explosion.
  3. Alter their composition? I.E. change their number of protons, neutrons, or electrons? (create isotopes, ions, fissionable material, new elements)
  4. Rearrange molecules / change the way they are attached to each other?

You would also have to consider:

1. The range over which one would have control? 10 feet? 100 feet? 1 mile? An entire planet? An entire galaxy?
  2. Would this person also have control over the atoms of their own body? Basically meaning they can alter their own structure to give them every single power in existence...

The BIG PICTURE answer to your question as written...

• CONTROL OF ELECTRICITY - The universe is made of energy and mass. Energy and Mass are really flip sides of the same coin. You can neither create nor destroy energy or matter, you can only change them. With this in mind, control over matter (atoms) implies control over energy as well... An easy example of this would be electricity or lightning. These are both movement of electrons. Electrons have mass and are part of what atoms are made of. So, one who could control atoms could control the flow of electrons.
  • CONTROL OVER RADIATION - Atoms release radiation as they decay from one isotope form to another. Carbon dating is done based on this fact. Carbon 14 has two more neutrons than Carbon 12. As those two neutrons decay, the atom loses two grams of mass (per mole of atoms) and releases radiation. All isotopic decay releases energy. This is a significant source of energy for a planet. If not for radiation from isotopic decay, the core temperature of the earth would be MUCH colder than it is now. Anyway, the ability to control atoms means you can generate isotopes and cause them to decay, thus releasing radiation...
  • LIGHT GENERATION - Molecules can absorb light energy and re-emit that energy (usually at a longer wavelength/lower energy form). For example, phosphorescence and fluorescence. The crux of this phenomena is the fact that electrons can be elevated to a higher quantum energy level, and when that energy level collapses the energy is released in the form of light.
  • CONTROL OVER MOST FORMS OF ENERGY - I hope you don't mind if I don't feel like explaining this one.
  • FORM ANY ELEMENT
  • CREATE NEW ELEMENTS
  • MAKE ANY STRUCTURE
  • BUILD ANYTHING. ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING MADE OF MATTER (matter being all things that have mass upon which gravity has an effect.)

So basically, one who could control atoms could basically do anything... (I'm speaking only of the physical realm, not the spiritual, or metaphysical.)

thediamondlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thediamondlord

Well, what if some maniac decides to crush every single atom in the sun, Mars, Saturn or Earth at the same time? Or if he went to the center of the universe, found an incomprehensibly large black hole, and destroyed all the atoms there? Most of you that the density of a black hole is nearly incalculable. Oh, the havoc.

Or what if he changed all the ground into legos... a Satan would have been created.