What books have you dropped recently?

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By reignmaker

After getting the #1 Valiant titles for free on Comixology, it quickly became apparent to me that I needed to trim some fat from my pull list. Here's what I decided to give the axe. Both $4 DC books.

Detective Comics - I've suffered though this book from the beginning (New 52). Definitely has pounded home the lesson that no matter how pretty the artwork is, you've got nothing without writing. So why leave in the middle of Layman's run when he's obviously better than what this title has had for a while? It's been average. No wow factor. And he's demonstrated that he likes to touch upon needless backstory - referencing all this Birds of Prey stuff, etc.

Sword of Sorcery - I'm a fantasy buff, so I really wanted to like this series. The main story is very generic and uninspired. It's also moving at a snail's pace as it develops Amethyst. The last issue was entirely spent performing actions and establishing precedents which have already been set in previous issues. Christy Marx (the writer) mentioned how one of her favorite themes is mother-daughter tension - something I already feel has been beaten to death. I also don't like the writer's desire to rush Amethyst into the main DC universe. The backup was a ton better in my opinion and it just ended. So has my readership.

I'd be interested to hear what books you've recently given the axe, and why.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I dropped Earth 2, Ultimate Spiderman, Batman Inc, Bravest Warriors and Teen Titans about 2 months ago. I am also unsure if I will continue to read X-Force.

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Catsnlynne

I guess you can say I dropped Captain Atom, Deathstroke, and Grifter. I only have 5 issues of Captain Atom, 2 issues of Deathstroke, and 1 issue of Grifter. I decided not to get anymore because I have picked up Stormwatch and Demon Knights along with my regular pull list.
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

-Action Comics awhile ago, I'll come back when Grant Morrison leaves 
- I'm about to drop Batwoman for a second time after her Wonder Woman arc is done in prep for getting Green Arrow

Sharkbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sharkbite

I dropped Teen Titans last month. I've been buying Teen Titans since before Young Justice, but honestly this whole run of it has just been terrible since New52.

I dropped Earth Two at the end of the Grundy arc. Entirely failed to grab my attention.

I dropped Deadpool with the start of Marvel Now. He had become progressively less entertaining, and hearing the slapstick story they were running the relaunch with, I just found myself totally disinterested.

Team Seven has until the end of this present arc to get interesting or I'm giving it the boot.

I've been seriously considering dropping Age of Apocalypse as it continues to be very bland, but I hold out based on potential for it to turn around into something awesome.

If they kill Nico in Avengers Arena, I'll be dropping that one too. Right now I'm only reading it because I'm starved for a Runaways comic.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

#6  Edited By knighthood

Recently... Catwoman, X-Men Legacy, & Earth 2.

I will also be testing a few books out to see which ones make the cut. These are Constantine, Savage Wolverine, & Fantastic Four, Katana, JLA, Birds of Prey. I know some of these books haven't been released yet, but I pre-order my comics so I have to make decisions months in advance.

Happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Happenstance

Ive been steadily dropping a lot of DC books lately. I was actually looking forward to the DCnU when it was announced but the more ive read of it the more ive found that I just dont like the characters and stories anymore. Ive dropped Superman, Teen Titans, Superboy, Supergirl, Nightwing, Green Lantern New Guardians, Birds of Prey, Worlds Finest...there are probably more but thats what I remember off the top of my head.

Oh and not that ive read it but I'll link Superior Spider-Man to Amazing and say ive "dropped" that as well.

Sharkbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sharkbite

Filled out my pull list from this month's Diamond catalog and decided to drop Talon. That one was entirely a waste. I thought coming out of the Court of Owls, and being a Gotham hero that was not a part of the Bat-Family, Talon would be like a version of Batman not afraid to use lethal force. It turned out he was a version of Batman not afraid to be a bland copy of a copy of Batman. Talon, I had hoped you would be everything that Red Hood could have been. Instead, you only disappoint. You are the weakest link. Goodbye.

briangsharon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By briangsharon

@Happenstance said:

Ive been steadily dropping a lot of DC books lately. I was actually looking forward to the DCnU when it was announced but the more ive read of it the more ive found that I just dont like the characters and stories anymore. Ive dropped Superman, Teen Titans, Superboy, Supergirl, Nightwing, Green Lantern New Guardians, Birds of Prey, Worlds Finest...there are probably more but thats what I remember off the top of my head.

Oh and not that ive read it but I'll link Superior Spider-Man to Amazing and say ive "dropped" that as well.

Really? Green Lantern?

Also I suggest you pick up Nightwing again. I will assume you dropped it during Higgins' break , but he is back ...and he has big plans for the character.

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TrueMoonchilde

Everything Spider-Man related. Have no interest in reading about Dr. Octopus pretending to be Spider-Man.

Happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Happenstance

@briangsharon: Green Lantern New Guardians, im still reading the main Green Lantern book. As for Nightwing, I like the character but im just not interested at the moment, the same feeling I have with DC as a whole really.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Mercy_

I haven't dropped stuff so much as books I was reading ended or got cancelled.

Sharkbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sharkbite

I feel for you, Mercy_.

With New52, they cancelled Secret Six, Robin, and Doom Patrol, without giving me a really decent substitute. And Marvel... well, they took my three favorite Marvel titles of the last 10 years, cancelled them, then dumped their roster in Arcade's murderworld so they could kill them all off. grrr...

And I consider Thunderbolts cancelled as well. They killed the villain title I was enjoying and gave us a Marvel Now roster of heroes instead. No thanks.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

#14  Edited By knighthood

@Sharkbite: Talon isn't a bad book at all. I'm actually happy that they are making something else than a batman clone.

Sharkbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sharkbite

@knighthood: I would have loved something other than a Batman clone, but I dropped it because that's exactly what he felt like to me. No powers, extensive training, super detective work type skills, master of stealth, uses gadgets to circumvent situations, refuses to kill though trained by assassins.

I thought he'd be differant than Batman, but it was just more of the same.

Avatar image for death_certificate
Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Moonchilde said:

Everything Spider-Man related. Have no interest in reading about Dr. Octopus pretending to be Spider-Man.

Even Venom and Scarlet Spider?

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SmashBrawler

The Phantom Stranger.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By sinestro_GL

Well, not recently, but since the n52 began, I've dropped Detective Comics and The Dark Knight. In the case of the latter, it was due to only 2 issues of utter garbage.

I dropped the Superman title after about 6 issues, but picked it up again when H'el on Earth started.

Also recently dropped Nightwing due to the mediocre stories and the terrible art.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By TDK_1997

Batman:The Dark Knight,Catwoman,Blue Beetle.