What are your thougts on Crisis on Infinite Earths?

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I've recently got my hands on the Crisis on Infinite Earths Absolute Edition. Only started reading it now and wanted to ask what do you think about the story? Also, do you think it could make a good basis for a future DC movie. Similar to Marvel's Infinity Gauntlet movie.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Greatest DC event ever made

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Greatest event ever.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (3078 posts) - 35 minutes, 52 seconds ago - Show Bio

Greatest DC event ever made

THIS^^^^

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 the_stegman  Moderator

Reboot done right.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quite possible the greatest comicbook event ever.

FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FuzzyLittleRodent

Do you guys think that it would make an epic movie? The kind that would rival Marvel's Infinity Gauntlet if done right?

EdgeJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A convoluted mess tbh

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MAZAHS117

Do you guys think that it would make an epic movie? The kind that would rival Marvel's Infinity Gauntlet if done right?

Trying to bring COIE's to the big screen would be a daunting task. You're talking multiple versions of the same characters and trying to cast all these roles, explaining the multiverse, the destruction of many universes etc etc. I'd be awesome to see, but at the pace WB/DC is moving with their film properties I just don't see it happening. INFINITY GAUNTLET seems to be the easier story to adapt, since it really just involves one universe and one version of all the characters that have already been established.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Great comic event...can't see it making a good film. Not even a good animated film, too much back-story would have to be included.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see a simplified version being adapted for the DCCU as a way of combining the TV and movie universes.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just good stuff. One of my favourite DC story arc.

FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything: @shazam117: I'm not saying, that they should adapt every single comic panel. I agree that it is a very large and at times confusing story, but using as a basis for a multiple part movie would be epic. Marvel is dominatig the movie scene, that's why WB/DC should make something even bigger. Out of both companies, DC has a better developed multiverse concept. Introducing it to their movie universe would be it's trump card and probably only shot at surpassing Marvel.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MAZAHS117

@fuzzylittlerodent said:

@manwhohaseverything: @shazam117: I'm not saying, that they should adapt every single comic panel. I agree that it is a very large and at times confusing story, but using as a basis for a multiple part movie would be epic. Marvel is dominatig the movie scene, that's why WB/DC should make something even bigger. Out of both companies, DC has a better developed multiverse concept. Introducing it to their movie universe would be it's trump card and probably only shot at surpassing Marvel.

I mean.... with the right writer/script/director sure it could work I guess. My issue is even with a scaled down version of this story it would take a lot of planning and story weaving to bring it all together. Stuff we haven't seen WB/DC do with their movie properties yet. Perhaps we're at the Genesis stage of WB's looping their live action superhero properties/stories together now...but a story like COIE's is SOOOOO far down the line from where we are now my brain can't even fathom the process of setting it up let alone them actually pulling it off. That said tho, if it happens in my life time you bet your a$$ I'll have my ticket!

As far as surpassing MARVEL is concerned, WB/DC need to focus on their own way of doing things and just deliver good films at this point. They don't need to get caught up trying to overtake MARVEL, cause that's when we'll get crap-tastic rushed films....But this may be a topic for another thread.

FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgejohn: admit it, dude. You hate everything that is DC.

Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fuzzylittlerodent said:

I mean.... with the right writer/script/director sure it could work I guess. My issue is even with a scaled down version of this story it would take a lot of planning and story weaving to bring it all together. Stuff we haven't seen WB/DC do with their movie properties yet. Perhaps we're at the Genesis stage of WB's looping their live action superhero properties/stories together now...but a story like COIE's is SOOOOO far down the line from where we are now my brain can't even fathom the process of setting it up let alone them actually pulling it off. That said tho, if it happens in my life time you bet your a$$ I'll have my ticket!

As far as surpassing MARVEL is concerned, WB/DC need to focus on their own way of doing things and just deliver good films at this point. They don't need to get caught up trying to overtake MARVEL, cause that's when we'll get crap-tastic rushed films....But this may be a topic for another thread.

Surpassing Marvel at the box-office is hardly a concern. I don't care who does better that way, I just want all films of comic-heroes to be well-done, because I see 90% of them. As noted before, movie-wise, it's not even a real Marvel vs DC battle..it's Disney vs WB. I roll my eyes every tine someone says "Marvel is winning" in regards to movies. How do you win at a game you're not competing in? It'd be like rooting for the Seahawks or Patriots to "Win the World Series"

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MAZAHS117

@manwhohaseverything said:

@shazam117 said:

@fuzzylittlerodent said:

Surpassing Marvel at the box-office is hardly a concern. I don't care who does better that way, I just want all films of comic-heroes to be well-done, because I see 90% of them. As noted before, movie-wise, it's not even a real Marvel vs DC battle..it's Disney vs WB. I roll my eyes every tine someone says "Marvel is winning" in regards to movies. How do you win at a game you're not competing in? It'd be like rooting for the Seahawks or Patriots to "Win the World Series"

Totally agree. OP made some comment about WB/DC "surpassing" MARVEL Studios, and that has a lot to do about nothing as far as I'm concerned too.

FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shazam117: @manwhohaseverything: When I said "surpassing", I wasn't just reffering to the performances at the box office. I'm also talking about the general quality of their future films. Marvel is pretty much the nirvana of comic book movies. I want DC to strive for that. So why do you view competition as such a bad thing? In my opinion, competition is healthy for the industry as each company will try as hard as they can to surpass the other with better movies

GrimRarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reboot done right.

Except for the Legion! I don't know why they restarted everything and left the LOSH as they were. Their origin had to be cleaned up by introducing a mirror universe Superboy since Post-Crisis Superman had never been.

Then they went and restarted them 8 years later. :|

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MAZAHS117

@fuzzylittlerodent said:

@shazam117: @manwhohaseverything: When I said "surpassing", I wasn't just reffering to the performances at the box office. I'm also talking about the general quality of their future films. Marvel is pretty much the nirvana of comic book movies. I want DC to strive for that. So why do you view competition as such a bad thing? In my opinion, competition is healthy for the industry as each company will try as hard as they can to surpass the other with better movies

I don't view competition as a bad thing, not at all. One needs competition to makes itself better as far as I'm concerned.

I guess I took your "surpassing" comment as the classic "MARVEL vs DC" nonsense or them somehow needing to copy the formula Disney/MARVEL Studios has mastered. Just as an example...many feel that just because MARVEL Studios has a fleshed out cinematic Universe,as them somehow winning or beating WB/DC O_o. Are they maybe ahead of the game/curve? okay that's debatable perhaps...but for me it's all about quality of the films. I don't want WB/DC to possibly sacrifice quality of their films just for the sake of playing catch-up, in some made-up war from fans perspectives and start rushing out films.....that's where I'm coming from.

If I miss understood you, my apologies. Didn't mean derail your thread as well!

Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Competition is fine. I'm just saying the movie universes/quality of films isn't a Marvel vs DC competition. You have the right game, just the wrong players.

FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shazam117: nah, it's ok, man. Partially my fault for not being clear enough.

FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Avatar image for marvete_e_dcnauta
Marvete_e_DCnauta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the greatest crossover event ever... ever!

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

Top notch story and a great work. For me it would have to be a multi part movie production and the time involved and years between "episodes" would be way to annoying.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Its frikkin' awful, one of the dullest, most inane comics I've had the misfortune to read.

A 350 page story with about 30 pages worth of plot, a whole load of nothing.

devitciiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

I did not enjoy this series. The plot was somewhat interesting but they story telling was bad. I felt no connection to any of the new characters that were introduced, and there was very little development for older characters. If it wasn't for my preexisting interest in the characters, I wouldn't have cared about anyone in this book.

I know it was the 80's and comics were written for a different audience at the time, but the dialog is unbelievably juvenile as is the narration. The amount of exposition in the story is insane.

The fallout from this book was horrible. That's not necessarily COIE's fault, it may have had a cohesive plan that was later scrapped, but this is not an example of a reboot done right. There's a reason that Zero Hour happened 8 years later.

The art is nice. A little busy at times, with dated looks (it was the 80's so that's to be expected) but over all the pictures are much better than the words.

My criticisms may come from the fact that I read it as an adult in 2003.I imagine nostalgia is a huge factor for many people's love of this book.

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

One of DC's best events in my opinion

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The definitive event that, despite being 30 years old isn't too dated. It was really ahead of it's time and really struck a balance between being large in scale/including literally everybody while not requireing you to read a bunch of tie-ins. The art was also phenominal, still is. It's hardly flawless interns of pacing and being a little slow at times, but these are minor flaws in the long run.

For a film, it would require a lot of build up and introduction of concepts like different eras(which the ww rumors might be leading to), multiple super teams and alternate universes. The actual film(s) would require a lot of things that film and the superhero genre aren't ready for. That amount of actors required and the budget would have to be through the roof. This all assuming they stay true to court though.

bdelloidgrain2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with what the general consensus is. One of the greatest comic runs ever made.