#1 Posted by JudgeDreadlocks (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Current or Older series. Ive recently retired the cape and cowl, and have been enjoying alot of Horror books. Mainly the things Avatar Press have been releasing along with Image's Revival and a few others. It pains me to see Hellblazer come to an end but these things happen from time to time.

Anyway what are some of your favorites? Gimme some suggestions!

#2 Posted by etragedy (1091 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the E.C. homage 'Twisted Tales' that was published by Pacific Comics and later Eclipse in the 1980s.

#3 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Hellboy, I suppose. Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. Thomas Ligotti's Nightmare Factory.

I read Simon Dark, but found it kinda meh.

#4 Posted by Binski (647 posts) - - Show Bio

Sandman, The new 52 Animal Man and Swamp Thing, I'm reading Hellboy In Hell and Hellraiser Dark Watch both are good, Walking Dead, and I never read but everyone rants and raves over Saga.

#5 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

Swamp Thing, Walking Dead, Bedlam (I guess it qualifies, being about a serial killer and all), Marvel's Tomb of Dracula is a classic

#6 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooh, forgot to mention Matt Wagner's Sandman: Mystery Theatre.

#7 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33973 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Edited by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15 said:

@dabee: TWD is horror?

Well, not in the traditional sense. It definitely has a lot more going on, like a LOT more. But let's remember it has zombies, and a villain that has an infant killed, and he also makes out with his own daughter. I know it's very smart, and has a whole lot going on beyond the horror genre, but anything with zombies still holds its roots in the genre.

#10 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15 said:

course it is

I've only read a few of the first issues but it didn't seem that way to me. Maybe deeper into the series. :]

@dabee said:

@xanni15 said:

Well, not in the traditional sense. It definitely has a lot more going on, like a LOT more. But let's remember it has zombies, and a villain that has an infant killed, and he also makes out with his own daughter. I know it's very smart, and has a whole lot going on beyond the horror genre, but anything with zombies still holds its roots in the genre.

Thank you for the information. :]

#11 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15 said:

I've only read a few of the first issues but it didn't seem that way to me. Maybe deeper into the series. :]

Ohohoho, just you wait...

@xanni15 said:

Thank you for the information. :]

You are most welcome, don't give up on the series. It is amazing, and hasn't lost any of it yet.

#12 Posted by Billy Batson (58171 posts) - - Show Bio

Just read the second Lord Baltimore series. Really good stuff.

Also just recently read the first trade of the aforementioned Sandman Mystery Theatre. Pretty good as well.

BB

#13 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee: I'll try. I've been saving up the Compendium? It's quite thick with a lot of the issues in it. We'll see how it goes. :]

#14 Posted by Billy Batson (58171 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15 said:

@dabee: I'll try. I've been saving up the Compendium? It's quite thick with a lot of the issues in it. We'll see how it goes. :]

If you're not liking it now, you should try to get some trades from a library if you can before buying a compendium.

BB

#15 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15 said:

If you're not liking it now, you should try to get some trades from a library if you can before buying a compendium.

BB

I have checked around the libraries near me, they don't have it but I can put it on hold, though if I fail to pick it up they charge you however much money. With school being so busy I'd have to make sure. :]

#16 Edited by JudgeDreadlocks (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for all the suggestions, Unfortunaetly ive read all of these lol. I guess theres not much more out there for me in the Horror Genre.

#17 Posted by Billy Batson (58171 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Billy Batson (58171 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh and you should try getting Matt Wagner's The Demon. It's finally being collected this year :)
BB

#19 Posted by Icarusflies (12505 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm quite partial to Killing Pickman. The collected edition is quite gorgeous, I'd highly recommend it.

#20 Edited by JudgeDreadlocks (21 posts) - - Show Bio

What about Black Hole, From Hell, Locke & Key, House of Mystery/Secrets and The Spectre by Ostrander?
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/category/the-scariest-comic-books-of-all-time/page/3/
BB

Oh and you should try getting Matt Wagner's The Demon. It's finally being collected this year :)
BB

I LOVED Black Hole. I should go back and pick up Locke & Key again Ive only read the 1st Arc or 2. And I wasnt aware they were collectiong Wagner's Demon this year! Good to know!

#21 Posted by Billy Batson (58171 posts) - - Show Bio

@judgedreadlocks:

Just checked. That collection is being released in January 2014 >.> (link) But the House of Secrets Omnibus is coming out this month if you're interested. And Ostrander's Spectre is really worth the hunt if you don't have it.

BB

#22 Posted by bob808 (6779 posts) - - Show Bio

Tales from the Crypt

#23 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8249 posts) - - Show Bio

The only horror comics I've read is Hellboy, so that wins by default, I guess...

#24 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (11553 posts) - - Show Bio

attack on titan and parasyte and sometime gantz

#25 Edited by MSzekeresh (94 posts) - - Show Bio

Colder was a great supernatural horror book that Image put out. It was a five issue miniseries with great art and a freaky protagonist. It just wrapped up so it should be out in trade soon enough.

#28 Posted by JudgeDreadlocks (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Colder was a great supernatural horror book that Image put out. It was a five issue miniseries with great art and a freaky protagonist. It just wrapped up so it should be out in trade soon enough.

Colder was awesome as well, I have a new podcast coming out next week on horror culture, mainly focused on Movie reviews and Horror comics, I plan on reviewing Colder and the most recent Crossed arc.

Which BTW I wrote a review on the most recent Crossed issue, Id appreciate any feedback.

@bob808 said:

Tales from the Crypt

Classic

@judgedreadlocks:

Just checked. That collection is being released in January 2014 >.> (link) But the House of Secrets Omnibus is coming out this month if you're interested. And Ostrander's Spectre is really worth the hunt if you don't have it.

BB

Good to know, You have good taste my friend.

#29 Posted by Billy Batson (58171 posts) - - Show Bio

@judgedreadlocks:

Thanks, likewise :)

And Peter Milligan's Shade, the Changing Man and some of his short work such as Face and The Eaters are also worth checking out if you haven't.

BB

#30 Posted by The_Horseman_War (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Have any of you read the Hellboy or Ferals comics? Are they worth getting into?