• 84 results
#1 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

What things about comic books annoys you? Here's what annoys me a bit about comics:

1. Lack of character development in some comics - If a certain storyline in a comic book doesn't develop the characters for whatever huge event comes by, then I would easily get annoyed by it since I want to see how the characters have to struggle up until that particular event (AvX is a really good example of this)

2. Drastically changing characters' personalities - along with not having any character development, if the characters' personalities drastically change and there is no previous story to back it up, then I could easily get turned off by the character or the event at hand because they didn't developed the situation.

#2 Posted by kingjoeg (693 posts) - - Show Bio

3. A good main artist leaving a book I like

#3 Posted by The_Tree (7283 posts) - - Show Bio

4. Terrible retcons.

#4 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

4. Terrible retcons.

I really can't stand it when they retcon a story for no good reason and they don't have a good story to back it up.

#5 Posted by chalkshark (1187 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Drawing stories out unnecessarily to fill trades.
  2. Inability of current artists to maintain monthly schedules.
  3. Inability of current artists to complete entire comic, necessitating back-up features.
  4. Constantly shuffling creative teams.
  5. Canceling titles within months of their debut, before they ever have a chance of finding an audience, let alone building one.
  6. Awesome cover art hiding inferior hack art interiors
  7. Everything DC is doing.
#6 Posted by Chronus (1115 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Cluttered universes filled with unnecessary history and characters
  2. Terrible retcons
  3. Changing awesome writers and/or artists without not-so-awesome writers and/or artists
  4. Lack of proper character development
  5. Important characters never seem to fully die

These all apply to DC and Marvel.

#7 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1881 posts) - - Show Bio

$3.99. I;ve cut back dramatically on the number of titles, and still spend more.

#8 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

Failure to reach outside of the existing customer base.

#9 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

5: Changes

Bad Changes last longer than good ones.

#10 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Sliding timeline -  it's stupid and makes no sense.  Let the characters age and have lives...
  2. Broken continuity.   -   Just stop doing it.  write the stories and leave them alone.  No more retcons...
  3. Death is a joke in comics -   There is no impact when a character dies because not, except Uncle Ben, really dies.  They all come back... all the time.  Death is practically a requirement for an X-man.
  4. Constantly changing power levels of characters... 
  5. Dramatic sudden changes in character's personality.
#11 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5019 posts) - - Show Bio

Price. This is why this medium is slowly dying out.

#12 Posted by skooks (205 posts) - - Show Bio

Double-shipping.

#13 Posted by ALFMutant (146 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. 3.99$/comic
  2. The New 52
  3. Meaning of a death in this industry
  4. Continuity
  5. Events
#14 Posted by judasnixon (6490 posts) - - Show Bio

Man.... What the hell happen to Vertigo Comics?

#15 Posted by Billy Batson (57944 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

Still there but yeah. At least there's more to come.
BB

#16 Edited by CrashBang (120 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

2. Drastically changing characters' personalities - along with not having any character development, if the characters' personalities drastically change and there is no previous story to back it up, then I could easily get turned off by the character or the event at hand because they didn't developed the situation.

This is what gets to me about Scott Lobdell, especially with Supes. He's always shoehorning awkward jokes in which do not work with the characters. I've been njoying the H'el story so far but he always seems to write each character with the same goofy charm which then is drastically altered when they appear in other titles.

For me:

Rebooting/ret-conning in order to simplify a universe, only to go back on that a few months/years down the line.

Case in point: The New 52. Six months down the line they introduced Earth-2. Now Grant Morrison is writing 'Multiversity'. Great, more head-spinning.

EDIT

ALSO! Marvel shipping issues bi-weekly and making them more expensive than most of DCs issues. Nobody has that amount of cash to spend (but we do anyway).

And DC charging different amounts for different series', depending on their level of popularity. When did they earn the right to get away with that?!

#17 Posted by mettlekm (417 posts) - - Show Bio

@Manwhohaseverything said:

$3.99. I;ve cut back dramatically on the number of titles, and still spend more.

Well said!

Retcons would be #2. Creates a lack of trust.

#18 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1881 posts) - - Show Bio

@ALFMutant said:

1. 3.99$/comic
  2. The New 52
  4. Continuity
  5. Events

Number three. I spoke to Gerry Conway at a con recently. He authored the "Death of Gwen Stacy" Spider-man story. I told him. "back then (1973) in meant something when a character died. Now..they can kill Superman, and it means less than killing Gwen Stacy meant then."

#19 Posted by ALFMutant (146 posts) - - Show Bio

@Manwhohaseverything said:

@ALFMutant said:

1. 3.99$/comic
  2. The New 52
  4. Continuity
  5. Events

Number three. I spoke to Gerry Conway at a con recently. He authored the "Death of Gwen Stacy" Spider-man story. I told him. "back then (1973) in meant something when a character died. Now..they can kill Superman, and it means less than killing Gwen Stacy meant then."

Absolutely, this is a good example because the character is still dead. Consequences are just as important as when it happened and in a way, the character means something more to Peter than when she was alive, reminding him is famous oath. Sadly, the death to a hero has become a gimmick to boost sales.

#20 Posted by lorbo (1541 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

What things about comic books annoys you? Here's what annoys me a bit about comics:

1. Lack of character development in some comics - If a certain storyline in a comic book doesn't develop the characters for whatever huge event comes by, then I would easily get annoyed by it since I want to see how the characters have to struggle up until that particular event (AvX is a really good example of this)

Oh come now...that is the nature of the genre. It would be different if they weren't trying to make a profit and sell the latest flavor of cool-aid. It's not about the best stories, it's about how they can get the most comic books sold...ya got me?

The only way you will get anything different is here at fanfic or in a storybook; maybe one you make : )

That is one of the reasons I write : )

#21 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

1. The over-saturation of comics about the same team or character. 
2. The Lack of consistency between writers 
3. The "Who is He\She?" Gimmick 
4. Team Books that focus on less than half the team 
5. The lack of diversity as far as exposure, popularity & usage 
6. Legacy characters 
7. Pointless rectons and no retcons where needed 
8. Joke characters that get placed in serious books and situations 
9. Sacrifice of realism for "It's a comic" logic 
10. Building up suspense via promos and solicits and then failing to deliver

#22 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

1. The over-saturation of comics about the same team or character. 2. The Lack of consistency between writers 3. The "Who is He\She?" Gimmick 4. Team Books that focus on less than half the team 5. The lack of diversity as far as exposure, popularity & usage 6. Legacy characters 7. Pointless rectons and no retcons where needed 8. Joke characters that get placed in serious books and situations 9. Sacrifice of realism for "It's a comic" logic 10. Building up suspense via promos and solicits and then failing to deliver

Yeah, this about covers it.

#23 Edited by logy5000 (5732 posts) - - Show Bio

That a 20 page comic will cost $15.

#24 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

@lorbo said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

Oh come now...that is the nature of the genre. It would be different if they weren't trying to make a profit and sell the latest flavor of cool-aid. It's not about the best stories, it's about how they can get the most comic books sold...ya got me?

The only way you will get anything different is here at fanfic or in a storybook; maybe one you make : )

That is one of the reasons I write : )

I write tons of fan fics too! I can write the stories the way I want them and not having to worry about my favorite characters being written terribly.

#25 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14594 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

What the hell happened to Wildstorm is a better question.

#26 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

1. The over-saturation of comics about the same team or character. 2. The Lack of consistency between writers 3. The "Who is He\She?" Gimmick 4. Team Books that focus on less than half the team 5. The lack of diversity as far as exposure, popularity & usage 6. Legacy characters 7. Pointless rectons and no retcons where needed 8. Joke characters that get placed in serious books and situations 9. Sacrifice of realism for "It's a comic" logic 10. Building up suspense via promos and solicits and then failing to deliver

Agree with all of this, especially the whole lack of consistency between the writers.

#27 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
@DarkKnightDetective said:

@judasnixon said:

What the hell happened to Wildstorm is a better question.

How are either of those good questions when the answer is obvious?
#28 Posted by silverJuggernaut (135 posts) - - Show Bio

to many one sided fights. with not enough action. the hero can never defeat a villian by himself.

#29 Posted by JakeN7 (11726 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Ad banners at the top (damn you Arrow!)
  • Schedule delays (lookin' at you Uncanny Avengers)
  • Drastic art changes (Indestructible Hulk's art change comes to mind. Walt Simonson's style does not mesh well with Leinil Francis Yu's)
  • Scott Lobdell's personality and his mishandling of the personalities of the characters he writes (Tim Drake and Superman for example)
  • Rob Liefeld
  • Back-to-back events (Marvel is mostly at fault for this one)
  • Over-reactions from fans (DotF's ending and Superior Spider-Man had me laughing at how overzealous some fans got)
  • Lack of jumping-on points
  • Anyone that won't give Valiant's new titles a shot because they aren't DC or Marvel books
  • Marvel's attempt at corporate synergy (the Nick Fury Jr. debacle was ridiculous, and how is it that Phil Coulson is alive and well in Secret Avengers?)

Probably other stuff too, but that's what I got for now.

#30 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

@JakeN7 said:

• Drastic art changes (Indestructible Hulk's art change comes to mind. Walt Simonson's style does not mesh well with Leinil Francis Yu's)
  • Scott Lobdell's personality and his mishandling of the personalities of the characters he writes (Tim Drake and Superman for example)
  • Rob Liefeld
  • Over-reactions from fans (DotF's ending and Superior Spider-Man had me laughing at how overzealous some fans got)
  • Anyone that won't give Valiant's new titles a shot because they aren't DC or Marvel books
  • Marvel's attempt at corporate synergy (the Nick Fury Jr. debacle was ridiculous, and how is it that Phil Coulson is alive and well in Secret Avengers?)

I definitely agree with all of this!!!

#31 Edited by TheCasketFiller (58 posts) - - Show Bio

@chalkshark said:

1. Constantly shuffling creative teams.
  2. Canceling titles within months of their debut, before they ever have a chance of finding an audience, let alone building one.
  3. Awesome cover art hiding inferior hack art interiors

(not original numbered order of quoted post)

#32 Edited by JakeN7 (11726 posts) - - Show Bio

@logy5000 said:

That a 20 page comic will cost $15.

Wait...what? Surely you don't mean U.S. dollars? Hell, people have been complaining about $3.99 for a 40 page book. I'm not sure what you're referring to.

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@JakeN7 said:

• Rob Liefeld

I definitely agree with all of this!!!

Thanks = )

#33 Edited by The_Tree (7283 posts) - - Show Bio
  • F###ing stupid retcons.
  • When a title is cancelled and it hasn't even been given the proper chance.
  • Corporate f###ery.
  • Turning an arc into an unnecessary crossover.
  • Character inconsistencies.
  • Dan DiDio.
  • The whole "Dark/Edgy = Great" mentality.
  • Fanboyism.
  • When idiots have the mindset of "I didn't understand this book, so it must be s###."
  • Characters being overexposed.
  • When something is done purely for shock value.
  • Fans that complain about there being too much history/continuity,
  • When superhero comics try to be overly realistic.
  • When idiots say DC characters are too overpowered to be interesting.
  • When comics are being overly influenced by their film counterparts. (This probably falls into "Corporate f###ery").
  • When a plot-point/storyline is created and just dropped with no explanation or resolution. (Lookin' at you Brightest Day)
  • Misleading covers/solicits that pretty much border on false advertising.
  • When editorial has more control over a comic than it's writer.
#34 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

• F###ing stupid retcons.
  • When a title is cancelled and it hasn't even been given the proper chance.
  • Corporate f###ery.
  • Turning an arc into an unnecessary crossover.
  • Character inconsistencies.
  • Dan DiDio.
  • The whole "Dark/Edgy = Great" mentality.
  • Fanboyism.
  • When idiots have the mindset of "I didn't understand this book, so it must be s###."
  • Characters being overexposed.
  • When something is done purely for shock value.
  • Fans that complain about there being too much history/continuity,
  • When superhero comics try to be overly realistic.
  • When idiots say DC characters are too overpowered to be interesting.
  • When comics are being overly influenced by their film counterparts. (This probably falls into "Corporate f###ery").
  • When a plot-point/storyline is created and just dropped with no explanation or resolution. (Lookin' at you Brightest Day)

I agree with all of this!!! Especially the part about when a title is cancelled and it haven't gotten a chance to get better. I always found this to be really unfair as there are some titles that I felt could have been better if they had stick around long enough to tell their stories. Also, I don't like the idea about characters being overexposed because it could lead to character inconsistencies and it would make the fans tire out of the character very fast (I'm looking at you Wolverine).

#35 Posted by FalconPuuunch (942 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadshot dies and comes back two issues later.... -___-

They're not even trying anymore.

#36 Posted by Pokeysteve (8253 posts) - - Show Bio

I read and prefer the older comics, pre 52 but post crisis, and I noticed one of those be it Wonder Woman, Flash, whatever, takes about 15-20 minutes to read. The stuff they put out now takes 5-10. Something has changed but I'm not sure what.

Anyone else notice this?

#37 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pokeysteve said:

I read and prefer the older comics, pre 52 but post crisis, and I noticed one of those be it Wonder Woman, Flash, whatever, takes about 15-20 minutes to read. The stuff they put out now takes 5-10. Something has changed but I'm not sure what.

Anyone else notice this?

Yeah, I noticed that the comics nowadays are much shorter and sometimes, that can cause important elements of a story to be cut off without explanation and that can make the story so much more confusing to understand. The older stories seemed to have enough material where you know exactly what is going on in the story.

#38 Posted by Freefa11 (2337 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pokeysteve said:

Anyone else notice this?

I have definitely noticed this and absolutely agree. I haven't actually counted, but I feel most modern comics tend to have less dialog (and less inner monolog; maybe due to killing off thought bubbles) than the ones from a few decades ago, and there definitely seems to be less narration going on. I also have the feeling they tend to average fewer panels per page than they used to (which helps contribute to a lower word-count).

Sometimes I think that reducing the wordiness of character's can actually make for more realistic speech, but there is still something missing overall.

#39 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

@Freefa11 said:

@Pokeysteve said:

Anyone else notice this?

I have definitely noticed this and absolutely agree. I haven't actually counted, but I feel most modern comics tend to have less dialog (and less inner monolog; maybe due to killing off thought bubbles) than the ones from a few decades ago, and there definitely seems to be less narration going on. I also have the feeling they tend to average fewer panels per page than they used to (which helps contribute to a lower word-count).

Sometimes I think that reducing the wordiness of character's can actually make for more realistic speech, but there is still something missing overall.

I agree. It seems like that without the characters' thoughts being shown on the pages sometimes, we don't really get a clear view on what the characters are really thinking about the situations at hand.

#40 Posted by JimTheSurfer (560 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm said:

1. Sliding timeline - it's stupid and makes no sense. Let the characters age and have lives...
  2. Broken continuity. - Just stop doing it. write the stories and leave them alone. No more retcons...
  3. Death is a joke in comics - There is no impact when a character dies because not, except Uncle Ben, really dies. They all come back... all the time. Death is practically a requirement for an X-man.
  4. Constantly changing power levels of characters...
  5. Dramatic sudden changes in character's personality.

This. When uncle Ben dies, it changes whole Peter's life, he becomes Spider-man, saves people etc. And it is, what keeps him doing it up until now. But when Gwen Stacy, Ben Reilly, Marla Jameson, George Stacy, Mary Jane (that airplane crap), Aunt May (numerous times), Harry Osborn (b4 OMD), Jean DeWulff, Silversable died, then it's just no f*cks given. About five comics later Peter has already forgotten and doesn't cares anymore...

#41 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Lack of respect for readers, history and characters.

#42 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Lack of respect for readers, history and characters.

Definitely this!

#43 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

Good titles getting cancelled while certain characters and teams have an over abundance of books.

#44 Posted by Billy Batson (57944 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crash_Recovery said:

Failure to reach outside of the existing customer base.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner.
BB

#45 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

@Matchstick said:

Good titles getting cancelled while certain characters and teams have an over abundance of books.

Exactly! There's definitely a long list of good titles that got cancelled for no reason (X-23).

#46 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7704 posts) - - Show Bio

The New 52.

#47 Posted by trebean (641 posts) - - Show Bio

What's with the New 52 Hate?

I actually like it, I read DC when it was already during Final Crisis, so I had a hard time knowing who's who. New 52 may have removed some key elements from the past, but I find it quite good.

Anyway.

1. Over exposure of a character (Looking at you Wolverine)

2. Under exposure of some characters

3. Well............... DC removing Wally and Stephanie from existence was kinda a dick move.

4. Huge Events that starts out interesting, then kills you with its long dragged out story, that makes little to no changes to the continuity.

Yeah it's pretty stupid (My list) but I don't really gripe much, I rely on the Internet Reviews to fill me in details.

#48 Posted by Kiltro95 (295 posts) - - Show Bio

Change in artistic direction, it really kind of ruins the tone of the book.

#49 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

@trebean said:

What's with the New 52 Hate?

I actually like it, I read DC when it was already during Final Crisis, so I had a hard time knowing who's who. New 52 may have removed some key elements from the past, but I find it quite good.

Anyway.

1. Over exposure of a character (Looking at you Wolverine)

2. Under exposure of some characters

3. Well............... DC removing Wally and Stephanie from existence was kinda a dick move.

4. Huge Events that starts out interesting, then kills you with its long dragged out story, that makes little to no changes to the continuity.

Yeah it's pretty stupid (My list) but I don't really gripe much, I rely on the Internet Reviews to fill me in details.

I really don't like it when big events start out well and then they just drop at the very end. It makes me wonder why they can't stay consistent with the story all the way to the end.

#50 Posted by logy5000 (5732 posts) - - Show Bio

@JakeN7: When I bought "Death of Superman," it was $12 and it was like 15-20 pages long.