What are some good Star Wars Novels you can suggest for me?

Avatar image for ssjdarthplagueis
SSJDarthPlagueis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There are plenty of Star Wars novels out there, but some have mix to bad reviews so I don't want to buy a book then regret buying it.

I'm looking for a SW novel with lightsaber duels in it, more focus on the Sith more like "Darth Plagueis the Wise", anything to do with Vader, and I don't mind something different like the "Death Trooper" book(which I haven't read yet).

One I'm thinking of getting is the Darth Bane trilogy books, but anymore suggestions for me? Thanks.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

Shadows of the Empire (obviously) features Vader and Sidious quite heavily. It's also one of my favorites and a good source of feats for Vader and Luke.

SSJDarthPlagueis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: Thanks.

Any other ones you can suggest???

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By fodigg

The X-Wing series of comics/novels is the most consistent. The I, Jedi spinoff starring Corran Horn is also decent, but spends a lot of time trying to make up for the shortfalls of the Jedi Academy series, which I don't recommend reading. The Republic Commando books are very decent up to a certain point where they kind of get stuck recycling the same themes.

For the comics, the Knights of the Old Republic, Clone Wars, Clone Wars Adventures,Empire, Rebellion, and Legacy series are all worth checking out.

SSJDarthPlagueis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg said:

The X-Wing series of comics/novels is the most consistent. The I, Jedi spinoff starring Corran Horn is also decent, but spends a lot of time trying to make up for the shortfalls of the Jedi Academy series, which I don't recommend reading. The Republic Commando books are very decent up to a certain point where they kind of get stuck recycling the same themes.

For the comics, the Knights of the Old Republic, Clone Wars, Clone Wars Adventures,Empire, Rebellion, and Legacy series are all worth checking out.

Will look into to those two.

Have you read any of the Vader books? Are they any good or decent? Have yet to pick up one.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

For Vader I would suggest Dark Lord: Rise of Darth Vader. It's an splendid book and it's written by James Luceno.....Need I say more?

I would also look into Shadows of Mindor, Decieved, Fatal Alliance, Red Harvest, Jedi Trial;etc.

I would also suggest the novel versions of the movies.....They're superior to the movies imo....

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Oh, I also forgot Splinter of the Minds Eye....That was also a good book that included Vader.

SSJDarthPlagueis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SSJDarthPlagueis

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Throw more at me if there's more.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Hmm for Jedi vs Sith focusing on the Sith Darth Bane trilogy is the best, but also consider TOR: Deceived or Darth Maul Shadow Hunter. For Jedi vs dark side; Shatterpoint, Yoda: Dark Rendevouz, ROTS novelization, Knight Errant, FOTJ series.

SSJDarthPlagueis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For Vader I would suggest Dark Lord: Rise of Darth Vader. It's an splendid book and it's written by James Luceno.....Need I say more?

I would also look into Shadows of Mindor, Decieved, Fatal Alliance, Red Harvest, Jedi Trial;etc.

I would also suggest the novel versions of the movies.....They're superior to the movies imo....

With an author like James Luceno it's most likely going to be a good read. Did very well in writting Darth Plagueis the Wise. Though one problem in the book is that it started to focus more on Sidious that the title should have been called "The Rise of Sidious." But over all good book.

Diffidently going to pick that book up if its at the book store. Could just order it online, but I'm impatient to wait lol!

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg said:

The X-Wing series of comics/novels is the most consistent. TheI, Jedispinoff starring Corran Horn is also decent, but spends a lot of time trying to make up for the shortfalls of the Jedi Academy series, which I don't recommend reading. The Republic Commando books are very decent up to a certain point where they kind of get stuck recycling the same themes.

Will look into to those two.

Have you read any of the Vader books? Are they any good or decent? Have yet to pick up one.

Yes, I remember liking the idea of Vader having to retrain himself how to fight after being rebuilt in Rise of Darth Vader, but it didn't really add anything to the mythos so I don't remember much of em other than that.

If you're interested in reading a Sith-led book, I'd suggest the Darth Bane series (one, two, and three) as an alternative (the tie-in comics, Jedi vs. Sith, are skippable). There were tie-in novels (one, two, and three) for The SW: The Old Republic MMORPG that starred Sith as well, although I'm not sure of the quality.

Oh! Forgot the excellent Han Solo trilogy as well as the classic, old-school sci-fi "Adventures" trilogies for Solo and Calrissian. They both have an early-EU freedom about them before things got more regimented.

The Thrawn trilogy is probably required reading since the regimented EU spawned out of that, although I have some issues with the way it took the old WEG Star Wars RPG lore as canon, meaning we have to deal with nonsense like "bothans are a race of beings that are all ONLY spies and that is their entire culture because a throwaway line mentioned them spying in the films". And I guess Courtship of Princess Leia because that's where they get hitched.

The New Jedi Order series and forward (notably the Dark Nest trilogy and the Legacy of the Force saga) are when they really starting making huge changes to the status quo of the universe and putting out these 9+ volume sagas that took chances that maybe it shouldn't have and would lead to a lot of author in-fighting. The books aren't necessarily bad, but at times it will simply not feel like Star Wars.

Some books to AVOID:

Those are some of the worst.

I've read a lot of Star Wars books and comics. Almost all of them, although I stopped keeping up a few years ago as much. There's a lot of middling stuff and a lot of stuff that doesn't really work together and a lot of story arcs that ruined characters or hurt the EU in the long run, but any comic book fan would be familiar with how multi-author continuity works. Much as I love a lot of this stuff, there's so much of it (look at the timeline of novels alone!) that I'm glad Disney's going to be pruning most if not all the EU going forward. The EU at least needs a reboot for sure.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm for Jedi vs Sith focusing on the Sith Darth Bane trilogy is the best, but also consider TOR: Deceived or Darth Maul Shadow Hunter. For Jedi vs dark side; Shatterpoint, Yoda: Dark Rendevouz, ROTS novelization, Knight Errant, FOTJ series.

Oh yeah, Shatterpointis worth a mention for sure. That and the Medstarbooks provide a good alternate look at the clonetroopers from Karen Traviss' controversial "clones are best and Jedi are irredeemable scum" take. Plus Shatterpoint is Mace Windu and that's always a plus.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Transformers1024

I've heard nothing but great thing about the Darth Bane books.

SSJDarthPlagueis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SSJDarthPlagueis

Just came back from the book store.

I bought The Rise of Darth Vader, Shadows of the Empire, and this one I bought because two of one of my favorite things are in this book...Star Wars and Zombies...so I got Death Troopers.

Was going to pick up the three Darth Bane books, but I'll get those another time including the ones you guys suggested.

revolt1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're into the old republic stuff good would be Revan and Decieved.