#1 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

I came back to comics last September for obvious reasons. This is after like an 8-9 year comic drought. I still knew some of the recognizable characters because my best friend at the time read comics avidly.

Now, by some of you, I may be one of the stupidest people on the face of this Earth because I buy some New 52 comics, and to others, I must have a lower IQ because I am about to start buying Marvel comics in October for obvious reasons.

To those of you who have come to find yourself disillusioned by the state of your favorite characters, teams, etc., tell me why. Why do you think starting my comic reading with Marvel NOW is a bad idea? Why do you think DC is not pushing out quality stuff?

Why are you old fans so angry at the publishers right now?

#2 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do you care what others think about you reading the comics you want to read?

#3 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15: I don't really. I just read some comments everywhere of people saying the only smart thing to do is not buy comics. I just want to read from some of the long-time fans that have recently been unhappy with the two companies. It seems with the new 52, and NOW, people have never before found themselves disappointed with the comic industry. Why is that?

#4 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

@Xanni15: I don't really. I just read some comments everywhere of people saying the only smart thing to do is not buy comics. I just want to read from some of the long-time fans that have recently been unhappy with the two companies. It seems with the new 52, and NOW, people have never before found themselves disappointed with the comic industry. Why is that?

I've recently gotten into the New 52 and have found them to be enjoyable, so speaking only for myself I don't see anything wrong. Of course I do think digital versions should be cheaper but that's a whole other topic. :]

#5 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15: You bet. Jeez. I just got comixology on my ipad (I got last week), and Marvel comics cost the same exact as print. Yikes. Like these companies can't make money from comics any more. You are right though. 'nother topic, 'nother day.

#6 Posted by GundamHeavyarms (695 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I think it has to do with nostalgia and cynicism.

A lot of older fans are cynical about mainstream books, saying that they don't tell any new exciting stories, and that indie books are the absolute best way to go, which leads to the mainstream vs indie debate which I think is very stupid. There are good and bad books everywhere, it doesnt matter where they come from.

Then there is nostalgia, a lot of fans want things to "go back to the way they're supposed to be" and refuse to want anything different. Then there are those that like the changes and want to see where it goes. I see both sides of the argument, but I like the new 52 for the most part, I just don't get caught up in the whole "5 year thing" I just let that go.

Another part is this sense of entitlement and hyperbole we fans have. If it doesn't wow us, or even mildly entertain us, than ITS THE WORST THING EVER or IT SEXUALLY ASSAULTED MY CHILDHOOD. That's just the nature of fandom, its not a good one by any means but it is what it is.

All I can say is just read what you like, and don't let message boards influence you too much.

#7 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics are awesome.

You just have to look for the good ones.

#8 Edited by Billy Batson (58349 posts) - - Show Bio

There's always something good from each publisher all the time.
BB

#9 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind having new things happen to the characters or the stories, but it feels like nowadays, events are being forced on the readers instead of letting it happen gradually over time and that's something that never goes over well with me.  I'm just hoping that Marvel NOW will give Marvel a chance to start writing stories that actually develop the characters and not have anymore events that are being forced out to the fans.

#10 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

DC is pushing out some quality stuff. All the books im reading are pretty good

Action Comics

Batman

Batman and Robin

Swamp Thing

Batman inc

Superman( the 0 issue was pretty good)

Superboy

These are just the ones I read but, im hearing that Aquaman and Red Hood and the Outlaws are stellar books as well

#11 Posted by edictzero (41 posts) - - Show Bio

I got back into comics as well with the new 52, but unless they drop the price for digital Marvel stuff, I won't be giving them a chance

#12 Posted by thespideyguy (2650 posts) - - Show Bio

This is awesome a person who thinks new 52 is awesome.

#13 Posted by nickthedevil (13971 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm loving the New 52 batman, Aquaman and Flash stuff. I don't cuuuurrrrrr

#14 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it wrong that Scott Lobdell's horrible changes to DC canon don't affect me in the least? I mean, I know should be pissed off, but for some reason I can't.

#15 Edited by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

If you haven't been reading comics consistantly for the past 5, 10 or 15 years like you and me then New 52 and NOW! are great to jump aboard with. But I can understand that if you have been reading for a while rebooting might turn you off.

I'm enjoying several New 52 titles and I'm sure I'll like some Marvel NOW titles.