• 60 results
frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

Edited By frozen  Moderator

The problem with The Avengers (this is all in my opinion, by the way) in 2012; was that while a good movie, struggles to hold up in repeat viewings. The first time I watched it, I was absolutely blown away and impressed with it's humor and spectacle --- but upon several re-viewings in the 2 and a half year period since it's release, it actually doesn't hold up too well.

The humor is forced and lacks wit, the action is bland and the overall spectacle of a superhero team up seems lost. It's painfully cliched popcorn flick.

I've seen many share the same sentiment that it's not as good upon re-viewing, and I don't particuarly think it's designed to be. So I don't think it'll withstand the test of time.

Age of Ultron needs to create a riveting piece of action which breaks the mold --- it needs to cut down on the slapstick humor, develop it's villain and actually develop it's characters.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I disagree, for me the avengers donsnt get worse after ep eat viewing but remains a good film with strong action segments and witty humor. To each his own I guess.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Mandarinestro

@frozen said:

Age of Ultron needs to create a riveting piece of action which breaks the mold --- it needs to cut down on the slapstick humor, develop it's villain and actually develop it's characters.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@cattlebattle: I must have watched it about 30. Lol

I agree though its not as amazing as I thought it was at first.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@z3ro180 said:

I disagree, for me the avengers donsnt get worse after ep eat viewing but remains a good film with strong action segments and witty humor. To each his own I guess.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By frozen  Moderator
RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I can watch Avengers over and over.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can watch Avengers over and over.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 frozen  Moderator

Note that I'm not saying Avengers is bad, but it's not as impactful as Iron Man or Winter Soldier.

If Age of Ultron is the same as The Avengers; then it will be cliche. It needs to change aspects.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I agree that the film certainly doesn't provide that same feeling of excitement I first had when I saw it in the theater, I don't think it gets worse with more viewings. To me, the film represents exactly what a comic book movie is. Humor, bright colorful characters and great action, we even get to see some of the heroes throwdown with each other. Sure the plot was bare bones (alien invasion -_-) but at the same time it's really a sequel or finale/climax to four prior films, so there's not much more to add other than to wrap things up. I also really like that they stayed true to what brought the team together in first, or the teams original villain in Loki, a great nod to the classic book. "Citizen Kane" it certainly is not, but I thought the performances were strong and nothing beats the Avengers assembling in live action while the camera pans around the team...that is probably my favorite scene of the whole film.

Now for Age of Ultron I'm hoping they do cut down the humor a bit (not entirely tho, I don't want to go in there and watch a dark film that takes itself to seriously, they need to save that for Thanos and that's not MARVEL Studios style anyways) and give it more of a "Empire Strikes Back" feel about it, where the Team may have saved the day, but not without consequences that setup what's to come later down the road. Also I'm expecting a STRONG performance from Spader/Ultron. I expected Red Skull to be a strong performance from Hugo and that left me kinda "meh", maybe it was more so MARVEL Studios dabbling with the script or maybe it was Hugo phoning it in, but I thought Skull was kinda weak-sauce.... so I'm hoping Ultron is just straight ruthless but has a charm about him that makes you wanna see him even more while the film progresses. More character development is a must, ESPECIALLY for Natasha and Hawkeye. For the love of god we need more on Widows past at this point. More on Thor dedicating himself to Earth/Midgard is a must along with how he feels about "The Mortals" creating artificial life. More development on the strained relationship with Cap and Stark setting up "Civil War". More of Banner dealing with the psyche of Hulk and how he's the mistrusted outsider of the team. Then there's the Twins, Vision....this movie has a LOT on it's plate but, all in all I have no reason to be expect it not to deliver tho. Outside of Episode VII, this is my most anticipated film this year.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another problem was half of the movie was the entire team bickering with each other. It didn't get good until the second half where Banner finally turned.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@shazam117: I don't think bright colorful characters are representative of a comic-book movie. The Winter Soldier had a serious plot; the film played out seriously and it worked while retaining small amounts of humor. TWS is evidence that a near-humorless Marvel film can work, if the storyline takes itself seriously.

There needn't really be 'colorful characters' --- while it holds up, the humor seems very forced to me. For example, when Thor remarks that Loki is adopted upon learning he's killed many innocent civilians just sounds forced and stale, yet upon first viewing I did not think so. It's small quips like that which degrade the integrity of the film. Aside from that I can agree it was a generally good film.

A comic-book movie can be a great film. We've seen it with Iron Man and The Dark Knight. So it depends on what people expect from AOU.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 frozen  Moderator

Another problem was half of the movie was the entire team bickering with each other. It didn't get good until the second half where Banner finally turned.

This was definitely a problem. Another problem was the ''I'l always angry'' plot device.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rogueshadow

@frozen said:

@shazam117: I don't think bright colorful characters are representative of a comic-book movie. The Winter Soldier had a serious plot; the film played out seriously and it worked while retaining small amounts of humor. TWS is evidence that a near-humorless Marvel film can work, if the storyline takes itself seriously.

There needn't really be 'colorful characters' --- while it holds up, the humor seems very forced to me. For example, when Thor remarks that Loki is adopted upon learning he's killed many innocent civilians just sounds forced and stale, yet upon first viewing I did not think so. It's small quips like that which degrade the integrity of the film. Aside from that I can agree it was a generally good film.

A comic-book movie can be a great film. We've seen it with Iron Man and The Dark Knight. So it depends on what people expect from AOU.

I actually still find that funny, it's the, 'Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?' Stuff that bothers me, it really drains tension from the scenes.

It's important to know where and just as importantly who the humour comes from. It's why I didn't find the lack of punchline humour in Man of Steel an issue in and of itself, if Superman had started cracking jokes it would just seem very out of place, but I do expect Flash, GL etc to provide such humour.

It doesn't have to take itself ultra seriously, fundamentally these are absurd premises that will always need a bit of tongue in cheek/self aware humour (provided in the form of Falcon in The Winter Soldier for example, even Batman Begins has Ra's recognise the ridiculousness of what Bruce is doing), just to maintain the suspension of disbelief, if other people in the world are commenting on the absurd elements, the audience doesn't have to.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@rogueshadow: I found it funny the first time, but upon re-viewing it's immature and forced, in my opinion. Now I did find some of the humor to be funny; mostly from Iron Man's dialogue but I didn't like the delivery for most of the part --- compare this to The Winter Soldier, and I think that TWS has much better delivery with it's humor. Clearly a film like Iron Man 3 overdosed on the humor and Guardians of The Galaxy took it too far with the break dancing scene.

There's an imbalance of humor in my opinion when looking at the MCU as a whole. For me, Iron Man 3, Guardians of The Galaxy and Thor 2 took it too far. Whereas Iron Man, The Winter Soldier and The Incredible Hulk had a perfect blend.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@shazam117: I don't think bright colorful characters are representative of a comic-book movie.The Winter Soldier had a serious plot; the film played out seriously and it worked while retaining small amounts of humor. TWS is evidence that a near-humorless Marvel film can work, if the storyline takes itself seriously.

I guess that's my own interpretation of the book. When I think of "The Avengers" I don't think of it a super-serious/gloom and doom style book, even tho it can certainly be during some stroy arcs...Idk, it's hard for me to explain. I just personal put certain films or comicbook films into my own categories of what I expect for them...if that makes any sense lol.

I guess I disagree on the humor. I thought some of the humor/jokes were well placed *shrugs* but I can respect where you're coming from. To each his/hers own.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@rogueshadow: I found it funny the first time, but upon re-viewing it's immature and forced, in my opinion. Now I did find some of the humor to be funny; mostly from Iron Man but I didn't like the delivery for most of the part --- compare this to The Winter Soldier, and I think that TWS has much better delivery. Clearly a film like Iron Man 3 overdosed on the humor and Guardians of The Galaxy took it too far with the break dancing scene.

I disagree about Iron Man, I think the dialogue and its delivery can hold up to pretty much any film. I still consider Iron Man = TDK, though the two are worlds apart.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#20 SC  Moderator

Its your lucky day viewer, pick a door and only one door for your special surprise answer. Behind each door is a different surprise and you won't find out what it is until you click it! Each viewer is only allowed one attempt.

Door Number 1

What Age of Ultron needs to do is stop pandering to people with average IQ's. The 2012 movie doesn't even hold up to first time viewing for anyone with a discerning eye, and taste for excellent cinematic experiences. The entire movie including the trailers and DVD commentary were a joke, I wouldn't even want to attempt to re-watch it lest my brain sink into my chest crushing my own stomach causing multiple organ failure. Some other people who may not be real agree with me.

What the sequel needs to do is have more Batman, and mislead viewers into thinking that Ultron is actually real when in fact he should be imaginary. They shouldn't have villains or heroes but develop Ultron to be a neutral imaginary construct that transcends sentience and becomes America itself, then Black Panther should appear, rip its heart out and eat it… in the metaphoric sense, on hen half of Africa. There should be no humor except meta humor, like when its revealed that Robert Downey Junior has never actually been Iron Man but has been the Mandarin the whole time. It needs to have controversial and riveting sex scenes, like between Thor's Hammer Mjölnir and Captain America's shield. Thats how you break a mold, Hammer on Shield sex scenes. Thats what it NEEDS to do otherwise I can't take it seriously and watching it for a second time will surely kill me.

Door Number 2

A movie needing to do anything, let alone a sequel to one of the most successful movies ever.

Door Number 3

The reason Avengers was so successful because it was accessible, and felt fun for so many people, and with movies time constraints mean aiming for balance. Marvel and Disney movie people dealing with billions of dollars don't need to be told what to do as opposed to already knowing or having a fair idea and instead aiming for the optimal amount of creative balancing as far as character development, humor, action, etc in order to be accessible to the most amount of people as a product to entice them to hand over money whilst also giving a enjoyable experience to encourage good word of mouth and handing over more money, with AoU and with future products. Those people also knowing they can't please every single person or make everyones own perfect version of a movie, so not trying to. I am sure everyone could offer advice on how to make a movie more enjoyable for themselves, I have my own gripes, but that may not mean such changes should actually happen least failing to reach other people/met the expectations of the majority/goal.

Door Number 4

I agree with everything you say!!

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 frozen  Moderator

@frozen said:

@rogueshadow: I found it funny the first time, but upon re-viewing it's immature and forced, in my opinion. Now I did find some of the humor to be funny; mostly from Iron Man but I didn't like the delivery for most of the part --- compare this to The Winter Soldier, and I think that TWS has much better delivery. Clearly a film like Iron Man 3 overdosed on the humor and Guardians of The Galaxy took it too far with the break dancing scene.

I disagree about Iron Man, I think the dialogue and its delivery can hold up to pretty much any film. I still consider Iron Man = TDK, though the two are worlds apart.

Another MCU film won't reach the level of the first Iron Man IMO. It'd be an impressive feat if it happens.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Give the characters real motivation instead of having them jerked around by SHIELD, moved like chess pieces to serve the purposes of a weak plot.

- Don't rely on spectacle and humor; story first, action second.

Easier said than done, obviously, but they've already failed once. I think Marvel is capable of a great Avengers movie, but we haven't seen it yet.

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boobs.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

Its your lucky day viewer, pick a door and only one door for your special surprise answer. Behind each door is a different surprise and you won't find out what it is until you click it! Each viewer is only allowed one attempt.

Door Number 1

Door Number 2

Door Number 3

Door Number 4

Lol, you didn't have to go hard like that!

Thinking I like door number 3 tho

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@shazam117: I choose door number 5.

The problem with The Avengers (this is all in my opinion, by the way) in 2012; was that while a good movie, struggles to hold up in repeat viewings. The first time I watched it, I was absolutely blown away and impressed with it's humor and spectacle --- but upon several re-viewings in the 2 and a half year period since it's release, it actually doesn't hold up too well.

The humor is forced and lacks wit, the action is bland and the overall spectacle of a superhero team up seems lost. It's painfully cliched popcorn flick.

I've seen many share the same sentiment that it's not as good upon re-viewing, and I don't particuarly think it's designed to be. So I don't think it'll withstand the test of time.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By frozen  Moderator

- Give the characters real motivation instead of having them jerked around by SHIELD, moved like chess pieces to serve the purposes of a weak plot.

- Don't rely on spectacle and humor; story first, action second.

Easier said than done, obviously, but they've already failed once. I think Marvel is capable of a great Avengers movie, but we haven't seen it yet.

I agree. But the second point will be difficult.

Ivar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Incredible how comic book fans still think that this movie adaptations don't need to appeal to all kind of audiences.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@ivar7 said:

Incredible how comic book fans still think that this movie adaptations don't need to appeal to all kind of audiences.

Incredible how I didn't assert this either.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MAZAHS117

@frozen said:

@shazam117: I choose door number 5.

I respect your POV

No Caption Provided

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By frozen  Moderator
johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By johnfrank120

Marvel made waaaaay too much money, I'm thinking they will follow roughly the same formula.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All my opinion of course ;)

@frozen said:

The problem with The Avengers (this is all in my opinion, by the way) in 2012; was that while a good movie, struggles to hold up in repeat viewings (I enjoy it every time I watch it). The first time I watched it, I was absolutely blown away and impressed with it's humor and spectacle --- but upon several re-viewings in the 2 and a half year period since it's release, it actually doesn't hold up too well.

The humor is forced and lacks wit (lol not really), the action is bland and the overall spectacle of a superhero team up seems lost (nah, not really). It's painfully cliched popcorn flick (lol, who cares. It was never aiming for anything higher nor did it need to).

I've seen many share the same sentiment that it's not as good upon re-viewing (the same is said about almost every popular movie a year or two after its release), and I don't particuarly think it's designed to be. So I don't think it'll withstand the test of time.

Age of Ultron needs to create a riveting piece of action which breaks the mold --- it needs to cut down on the slapstick humor, develop it's villain and actually develop it's characters (Agreed, MCU villains really suck).

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Shut Up You Marvel Hater!!!!!!

JK ;p

I agree. But, I love Avengers anyway.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When people say mcu villains, are y'all talking the movie villains?

Or are you also including AoS villains?

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Change needs to do to should do

But I honestly hate threads like these you can't have any real influence on how the movie is made.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By Transformers1024

If Age of Ultron and Ant-Man repeat past mistakes like nearly all of their other films have, then I may just wait for all future Marvel Studios films to come out on Blu-Ray for a reasonable price and watch them then. I don't know how many more cringeworthy, slapstick jokes I can take from any of those films and sad to say I'm not really looking forward to any of them.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Marvel made waaaaay too much money, I'm thinking they will follow roughly the same formula.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I think this might be a good time to start being a bit more serious, a bit of banter here and there is ok as long as it's in moderation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In short, it needs to actually be a good movie and not just be funny. The villain needs to be more serious, the heroes need to be more serious, and it should develop all its characters and give them a real purpose, like Hawkeye. It can still have jokes of course but the heroes need to straighten up and not be so humorous all the time. I never felt like Loki was actually a threat (especially getting thrashed by hulk for humor, and then getting thrashed by Thor later on). Never felt like the chitauri or the big floating thing was a threat. There was the time hulk punched Thor for a humorous moment after beating some chitauri. It was funny, but like frozen said, after watching it a few times it isn't as funny anymore, and there are way too many moments like that in the first movie. The chitauri are such jokes that they are taken out by humans, and Thor and hulk can screw around with each other while stomping them. Even when iron man had sacrificed his life by putting the nuke in space, humor was still created by the way hulk threw him off of himself when they landed. The first avengers, while entertaining, was just a group of heroes screwing around and arguing, then fighting random monsters at the end.

They should be put in tougher situations, Thor and hulk and Hawkeye and widow need more things to do, and ultron needs to be serious threat. We see Thor grab iron man angrily in the trailer and that can lead to some good infighting between the group, but it needs to be over something real and not over childish insults like the first movie. No matter what it will be very entertaining, but it would be nice if they actually made it a great film, and I think they will. Ultron is already more serious than Loki.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@frozen said:

No Caption Provided

This.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this movie actually has real consequences then it will much better

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 frozen  Moderator

The Avengers did have real consequence. They all ate at a Schwarma restaurant.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By godzilla44

@frozen said:

@godzilla44 said:

The Avengers did have real consequence. They all ate at a Schwarma restaurant.

that is true, what much better ending than MOS, I mean who wants to see people actually die and show emotions

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

@ccraft said:

Change needs to do to should do

But I honestly hate threads like these you can't have any real influence on how the movie is made.

Totally agree here.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The one and only thing Age of Ultron needs to do, is be awesome ^_^

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claymore1998: Your fate will be sealed if you click the spoiler, it's best if you don't...

No Caption Provided