What about DC Comics do you like and dislike?

The_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What about DC Comics do you like and dislike?

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I am really enjoying all of the New 52 right now. There is some titles that I don't read because they don't really interest me and I have budget restraints. It is interesting to see the characters I love thanks to pre-n52 and see how different they are now in the n52. Very cool

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Like - The story arcs. Court Of Owls, Throne Of Atlantis, Rotworld, Rage Of The Red Lanterns, etc. They just put together good, unique stories without relying too much on crossovers and such. (I know they do use crossovers, but its a lot less than Marvel)

The darker content. Series like Swamp Thing, Animal Man, and Justice League Dark are some of my favorite series. Seeing these characters interact with classics like the Justice League is really fun.

Teams - I think DC does teams the best. This is just a personal preference. Seeing some of the most iconic superheroes on a team together is just plain awesome. Things like Teen Titans and Justice League Dark are awesome as well.

Dislike - I wish DC would take more time to establish lesser characters than simply falling back on Bat Family or Justice League stuff. I'd love to see Martian Manhunter, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, and a few others given a higher profile. Its more than just giving them their own ongoing - Blue Beetle had one and failed - but its more about giving them importance in good story arcs and crossovers. Getting good writers to make stories for them. I feel like they dont take as many chances as other companies.

The_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Like - The story arcs. Court Of Owls, Throne Of Atlantis, Rotworld, Rage Of The Red Lanterns, etc. They just put together good, unique stories without relying too much on crossovers and such. (I know they do use crossovers, but its a lot less than Marvel)

The darker content. Series like Swamp Thing, Animal Man, and Justice League Dark are some of my favorite series. Seeing these characters interact with classics like the Justice League is really fun.

Teams - I think DC does teams the best. This is just a personal preference. Seeing some of the most iconic superheroes on a team together is just plain awesome. Things like Teen Titans and Justice League Dark are awesome as well.

Dislike - I wish DC would take more time to establish lesser characters than simply falling back on Bat Family or Justice League stuff. I'd love to see Martian Manhunter, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, and a few others given a higher profile. Its more than just giving them their own ongoing - Blue Beetle had one and failed - but its more about giving them importance in good story arcs and crossovers. Getting good writers to make stories for them. I feel like they dont take as many chances as other companies.

pretty much all of this

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Nailed it.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

What i used to like, and have now come to dislike, is DC's "legacy" characters, their core group of heroes. They're really the most old fashioned of superhero comics. I gravitate more towards the more gritty realistic ones, namely those not at DC. The New 52 just doesn't resonate with me much. Valiant, Marvel and IDW are publishers I can get behind these days.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JulieDC

Like:

Pre-new 52 stories

Chuck Dixon's bat stuff

Tim Drake as Robin

Traditional stories that do not shake up the mythos

Love the fictional aspect of DC

Dislike:

DC's continual disregard for fans in recent years

New 52 stories

Damian Wayne and his replacement Carrie Kelley as Robin

Grant Morrison's bat stuff

I hate DC's current vision for movies

I generally hate long stories that surpass 6 issues

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By the_tree

• Characters are iconic.
  • Characters are very likable.
  • Fictional cities.
  • Legacy heroes.
  • Families/Groups of heroes (Titans, Flash Family, Bat-Family, etc.)
  • The magical corner of their universe is strong and well established, unlike most of the competition.
  • Top notch, consistently good talent is always around.
  • The universe is fun and fantastic, it's not really trying to be too realistic.

Dislikes:

• The New 52.
  • Poor management/screwing over of creators.
  • Sacrificing of story for sales.
Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like new 52 most of the time and dc's old classic comics. I dislike the lack of promoting other characters, disrespecting fans by canceling strong series and titles, and bad planning. Also comics are getting expensive, some are 5 dollars now. Also don't like how a lot of characters are gone and some classic stories are gone in new 52

heymanjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

inconsistency. I wish DC would remind authors to keep in mind the power levels of each characters. It's annoying seeing superman dying from being near kryptonite to just being a little bit inconvienced in the next.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New 52 brought me back to DC and I've enjoyed it a lot for the most part but there's been a lot of mediocre product put out. I'm a GL,GLC fan, Aquaman is top notch and I really like Talon. Both JL titles are good not great and I wish DC would take a chance on lesser known characters instead of the same 3 heavyweights.

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like: it has some damn good characters

Dislike: so many street level/no power good guys, bad guys , sends my interest crashing down. I wish the meta-human thing was a larger or more consistent element. It absolutely has to have none of the same properties of marvel such as racism, species vs species debates, whatever. I just think it's a good way for there to be more super powered characters. Not everyone can be some alien race or in some freak accident. Mutants also give marvel more mid tier strength chars, not gods and clods.

Doomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Doomnaut

Like:

-Green Arrow

-New 52 comics

Dislike:

-Its not Marvel

-The whole "Iconic" character thing

-To many Superman like characters

-Batman & Superman

-Pre-New 52 comics

-Rabid fanboys and fangirls

-They put too much focus onto Batman & Superman

-Not very many events

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

Batman!!!!!!!!!!!

jks.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

For the most parts, my pull-list has had some very good arcs and issues. Of course, there are some bad titles out there, but I'm in no way compelled to buy them.

They've been trying to promote the less popular characters, e.g. Aquaman, Animal Man and Swamp Thing. Of course, not every character they do this to will be met with success all the time...it's a gamble that pays off sometimes, and sometimes not.

Dislikes:

Waaaaaaaay too much emphasis on the Bat-Family - disproportionate to DC's other flagship characters.

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like DC's core stable quite a bit, as well as the core villains. JLU will always have a place in my heart. You also have great events like Crisis on infinite earths and final crisis (only if you have all the supplementary material though). And I'm definitely a question fangirl.

DC also has a bit more willingness to avoid Status quo resets and keeping things in modern Stasis. Something that has always annoyed me with Marvel. Furthermore, like Marvel, when a good writer is on board they shuck off darkness for darknesses' sake and make actually heroic heroes who aren't debatably worse than the villains they fight.

I also like DC's usage of mirrorverses, it's gotten quite well down, rivaled only by Shattered Glass from IDW or Praetoria from Paragon. Yes it's a bit standard as far as multiversal tropes go, but DC makes it work. Lastly, DC's best arcs are perhaps the best in the entire industry, COIE is still one of my all time favorites.

However, DC has a bad habit of making a lot of characters with copy pasted power sets as a "family". The Bat family, the Marvel family, the Flashes, the Green lanterns (Hal is also blah, give me John Stewart), The Super family and so on so forth (Marvel is also guilty of this to some degree with the Hulk family, the Thor corps, and Iron Man and his power armored buddies).

It also has entirely too much focus on the big two to the detriment of oher characters, to the point that you could call DC "Batman and chums". Lesser known characters end up needing cartoon adaptations to get a chance to shine because in the comics they just get so overshadowed.

And my biggest pet peeve is when they take a good thing and utterly destroy it, the Battle of Bludhaven being a prime example of this. And the stupid DC arcs are really, really stupid. Like unrelentingly godawfully stupid. All Stars Batman and Countdown are like, industry milestones for sheer crappiness.

Most of the time DC's best is better than Marvel's best, it's worst is worse than Marvel's worst. Generally Marvel has a more solid Median while DC has more outliers.

DwightSpitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I pretty much love everything about DC but it'd be nice to see some new groundbreaking heroes rise up other the favorites of old from the original Justice League.

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Not trying to be all negative, I'm just not a fan of DC. It has nothing to do with marvel or image or DC or anything fanboyish like that. I really have tried many DC comics and liked and enjoyed a very very small number of what I tried. I really found zero interest in any DC comics.

I will say some of the art for DC is amazing, batwoman art is very unique and really amazing. But I won't buy a book to just look at the art.

Again not at all trying to knock DC, just explain how I personally feel about DC comics. I feel like DC stuff is written differently, it's much more 'fantasy' than marvel stuff. Most of the locations DC are made up places, the way a lot of DC characters talk I just don't like because no real life regular person would talk like they do. I can't find a way to relate to any characters because they are so far away from acting like a real person would. Obviously in comics there is plenty of "unreal" stuff, but I expect that, superpower are not my problem here. I just can't relate to any character's dc no matter how much I want to, so I just gave up on trying DC stuff.

I feel like most marvel stuff I read, I could picture as a real movie with real actors. Most(not all) MOST DC stuff I've read I could only picture as a cartoon for kids, and I'm a not a kid anymore and I find zero interest in cartoons now. I can totally see why people do enjoy DC stuff, and that's totally fine. We all like different stuff, nothing wrong with that. I feel like marvel characters grew up in the real world so they act more believable how an actual person would, rather than DC characters where everything is overly dramatic like they grew up in a cartoon soap opera world.