• 54 results
#1 Edited by Ironshinobi88 (1472 posts) - - Show Bio

So I have been pondering what a Black ( Vathlo Heritage) Kryptonian's powerset could be and I think I came up with a good one, please let me know if you think:

Kryptonians from Vathlo develop a mildly different powerset than Caucasian Kryptonians due to their melanin content and solar absorbtion.

EDIT: Vathlo is an Island on Krypton and is apart of Pre-52 Superman lore, it is stated that this island has people who resemble African-Americans, I did not make this up.

SOURCE:

http://superman.wikia.com/wiki/Vathlo_Island

S

uper-Speed ( on par with superman)

Super-Strength ( on par with superman)

Flight ( on par with superman)

Durability/Survivability ( on par with superman)

Differences:

Due to their skin's aversion to solar absorption Vathlo Kryptonians do not have heat vision, but can discharge the solar energy they have metabolized, this can manifest into radial discharge explosions, or concentrated beams from the hand. However a discharge of such energy makes the Vathlo Kryptonians in a severe weakened state. They can easily recharge their energies through Sun dipping or a period exposed to sunlight.

Ultrasonic breath: Due to long adaptation on Kryptons hot, dry areas of Vathlo island, the Vathlo Kryptonians Can emit a hard Ultrasonic yell which has massive concussive sonic waves, which are visible to the naked eye.

EDIT: Weaknesses

Vathlo kryptonians are susceptible to Magic, but have a higher tolerance for Kryptonite.

Red Sun rays, also effect them harsher as their cells absorb more of the sun rays, it is akin to what Kryptonite would be for a Mainland kryptonian.

thanks for reading, if you did, let me know what you guys think of this.

#2 Posted by OreoAssassin (6598 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Edited by BlackWind (7418 posts) - - Show Bio

#4 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6747 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool..great ideas.

#5 Posted by Ironshinobi88 (1472 posts) - - Show Bio

What? is it that bad?

I'm not being racist....

#6 Edited by JetiiMitra (8960 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't find this offensive, but it is exhaustive. I see no real reason a black Kryptonian should have different powers than a white one.

#7 Edited by Ironshinobi88 (1472 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

I don't find this offensive, but it is exhaustive. I see no real reason a black Kryptonian should have different powers than a white one.

vathlo was a island on Krypton, perhaps they could have adapted differently since much about krypton isn't known. I didn't think it would be bad to suggest a different powerset considering this was a different geological location on the planet. It's not as if I made him "lesser" just different, kind of like White Martians and Green Martians I guess? Why can't the same apply for Kryptonians, they are aliens after all.

#8 Posted by BlackWind (7418 posts) - - Show Bio

@ironshinobi88: Just sounds unnecessary. Why have different powers at all?

#9 Posted by SOG7dc (8565 posts) - - Show Bio

i kinda like it.....i love some things and i hate other things

#10 Posted by JetiiMitra (8960 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

vathlo was a island on Krypton, perhaps they could have adapted differently since much about krypton isn't known. I didn't think it would be bad to suggest a different powerset considering this was a different geological location on the planet. It's not as if I made him "lesser" just different, kind of like White Martians and Green Martians I guess? Why can't the same apply for Kryptonians, they are aliens after all.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only difference between Green and White Martians is how they look and their personalities. They have the same powers to the same extent; that's the opposite of what you're arguing. I don't see a reason to make black kryptionians have different powers simply because they're black. If you made it so they had different powers because of evolving differently on Vathlo, that would be different. But since it's never been hinted at that they're different, I see no reason to make them so.

I apologize if I'm being a downer, but I've had this argument many times before.

#11 Posted by Ironshinobi88 (1472 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind: Well I mean, it just felt boring if he had the same powers since Kryptons environment and geo regions are largely not ever talked about. Yes It's not PC I'll admit that, but I wanted to go against the grain. I figure'd there was a lot of room to infer seeing as Kryptonians are of alien physiology, and the sun does have an effect on them.

I'm black as well, and I don't think it's offensive to suggest what is scientifically proven the pigment in our skin is a result of sun absorption. I'm basing this guy's powers off of that.

#12 Edited by Ironshinobi88 (1472 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

@ironshinobi88 said:

@mitran said:

Unless I'm mistaken, the only difference between Green and White Martians is how they look and their personalities. They have the same powers to the same extent; that's the opposite of what you're arguing. I don't see a reason to make black kryptionians have different powers simply because they're black. If you made it so they had different powers because of evolving differently on Vathlo, that would be different. But since it's never been hinted at that they're different, I see no reason to make them so.

I apologize if I'm being a downer, but I've had this argument many times before.

Vathlo is an island which has Black Kryptonians, I didn't make that up, that is apart of Superman's canon. I am inferring they evolved differently ( which is what humans do when a group is exposed to the environments with a lot of Sun)

2nd- I'm inferring because of this evolution, they metabolize the sun differently. I'm not trying to be an ass, just trying to clarify my logic.

#13 Edited by JetiiMitra (8960 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

@ironshinobi88 said:

@mitran said:

Vathlo is an island which has Black Kryptonians, I didn't make that up, that is apart of Superman's canon. I am inferring they evolved differently ( which is what humans do when a group is exposed to the environments with a lot of Sun)

2nd- I'm inferring because of this evolution, they metabolize the sun differently. I'm not trying to be an ass, just trying to clarify my logic.

I know what Vathlo Island is, thanks.

The only difference between them that has ever been shown is skin color. The thing I don't agree with is having skin color be a reason for different powers. Different scope in power maybe.

#14 Posted by Erick_Williams (763 posts) - - Show Bio

Great idea, i see your point
I think black kryptonians would have almost the same powerset, except for

-maybe they have to take more time to sundip (to recharge) but the energy lasts longer
-have a slightly hotter heat vision
-more resistence to all types of radiations (kryptonite, ect..)

i think it makes sense due to the high melanin
what do you think?

#15 Posted by AllStarSuperman (23259 posts) - - Show Bio

don't really know how to feel about this idea?

#16 Posted by Ironshinobi88 (1472 posts) - - Show Bio

Great idea, i see your point

I think black kryptonians would have almost the same powerset, except for

-maybe they have to take more time to sundip (to recharge) but the energy lasts longer

-have a slightly hotter heat vision

-more resistence to all types of radiations (kryptonite, ect..)

i think it makes sense due to the high melanin

what do you think?

I think it's great, which is why I made the powers reflect so.

#17 Posted by Vitalius (2636 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind:

Not necessary. It is about melanin and sun power, it is ok. But if it is about stereotypes that isnt ok.

#18 Posted by Ironshinobi88 (1472 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

@ironshinobi88 said:

@mitran said:

@ironshinobi88 said:

@mitran said:

I know what Vathlo Island is, thanks.

The only difference between them that has ever been shown is skin color. The thing I don't agree with is having skin color be a reason for different powers. Different scope in power maybe.

ok ask yourself this, Has there ever been much lore established on Kryptons different planetary environments? Would it be such a big deal if I made a kryptonian from a different region develop different superpowers and this kryptonian was still white?

because really all I'm doing is saying hey these VAthlo Kryptonians who happen to Black develop these specific powers etc etc

#19 Edited by Ironshinobi88 (1472 posts) - - Show Bio

don't really know how to feel about this idea?

I didn't stereotype him, and I used melanin and sun absorption which isn't racist, it's science to explain the difference in powers.

Again Kryptons varying climates and evolution has largely never been talked about.

#20 Posted by ImNemotheGemini (845 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing wrong with different powers... We as humans are not the same either... Me as a black male, my body does not have the se (how do I say this) physical make up, if you will... Like... Black males are naturally more athletic than white males or Asians are naturally smaller than the average Russian... Lol and our bodies do not react the same to certain stimuli... Sooooo the way A black Kryptonian absorbs light would be possibly be diff than a white one... The only thing I do not agree with is the over saturation of solar absorption... That's unnecessary !

#21 Posted by Captain13 (3599 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing wrong with different powers... We as humans are not the same either... Me as a black male, my body does not have the se (how do I say this) physical make up, if you will... Like... Black males are naturally more athletic than white males or Asians are naturally smaller than the average Russian... Lol and our bodies do not react the same to certain stimuli... Sooooo the way A black Kryptonian absorbs light would be possibly be diff than a white one... The only thing I do not agree with is the over saturation of solar absorption... That's unnecessary !

Some of this is either meant to be humorous or is racist, not sure--I am also a black male. Though I do think Black Kryptonians would absorb more sunlight without being sunburnt :p

#22 Edited by fodigg (6147 posts) - - Show Bio

This is unnecessary and presents unfortunate implications about race. We're not talking about truly alien beings where some sort of insectoid genetic cast system might make sense. Kryptonians look and act human. Bad idea.

And yet similarly, even the current Supergirl writers have implied they wanted female Kryptonians to have different powers than male Kryptonians, creating parallel problems regarding treatment of sex. It's just not necessary. It causes issues. Leave it alone.

#23 Posted by Gordyman (622 posts) - - Show Bio

This is f*cking racist.

You're a b*tch for this.

#24 Posted by KingAres109 (1587 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest,I think all kryptonians should have the same power set.Their an advanced species.

#25 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5844 posts) - - Show Bio

The only difference between a white Kryptonian and a black Kryptonian would the rate and amount of solar energy being absorbed due to the melanin factor.

#26 Edited by Dernman (16077 posts) - - Show Bio

It's an interesting idea but I wouldn't go with it. If I did though then the only difference would be the rate and amount of solar energy being absorbed due to the melanin factor.

Side note. I think they ditched the Vathlo island idea and now they live among the main populous.

#27 Posted by Ironshinobi88 (1472 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

This is unnecessary and presents unfortunate implications about race. We're not talking about truly alien beings where some sort of insectoid genetic cast system might make sense. Kryptonians look and act human. Bad idea.

And yet similarly, even the current Supergirl writers have implied they wanted female Kryptonians to have different powers than male Kryptonians, creating parallel problems regarding treatment of sex. It's just not necessary. It causes issues. Leave it alone.

Well to that I say, DC made H'el who has essentailly some different powers than Superman yet he is kryptonian?

@dernman I removed the saturation point to make it not seem overly race involved.

#28 Posted by Ironshinobi88 (1472 posts) - - Show Bio

@gordyman said:

This is f*cking racist.

You're a b*tch for this.

Uhm....Sorry man? I really didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I just wanted to do something out of the norm.

#29 Edited by Transformaa (289 posts) - - Show Bio

blacks are naturally faster more athletic beings vs other races..strength is about the same..just depends on training..but there are more profession black people in pro sports than any other race in the world..that has to count for something..also darker colors are known to adsorb more sun rays vs lighter skin..

#30 Posted by Gordyman (622 posts) - - Show Bio

blacks are naturally faster more athletic beings vs other races..strength is about the same..just depends on training..but there are more profession black people in pro sports than any other race in the world..that has to count for something..also darker colors are known to adsorb more sun rays vs lighter skin..

I'm black and not athletic. It all has to do with what you're exposed to. If all you did as a child was play sports all day, nine times out of ten, you're going to be good at sports.

#31 Edited by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by fodigg (6147 posts) - - Show Bio

blacks are naturally faster more athletic beings

Stop.

#33 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont like the idea of black kryptonians being too much different than kryptonians. people are good at sports because of how much sports they played. that comment about black being naturally better at sports than other is racist.

#34 Edited by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

How does adapting to long, dry areas give them a visible ultrasonic scream?

#35 Edited by Ironshinobi88 (1472 posts) - - Show Bio

@gordyman said:

@transformaa said:

I'm black and not athletic. It all has to do with what you're exposed to. If all you did as a child was play sports all day, nine times out of ten, you're going to be good at sports.

I don't condone that, because it is true what you said. People who grow up playing a certain sport will be good at that sport.

I dont like the idea of black kryptonians being too much different than kryptonians. people are good at sports because of how much sports they played. that comment about black being naturally better at sports than other is racist.

Are you familiar with H'el? He is a white kryptonian and I believe his powerset is diff from Superman. Correct me if I'm wrong.

#36 Posted by ZombieMowlcher (689 posts) - - Show Bio

*Insert black stereotype here and add the prefix, super*

#37 Posted by Ironshinobi88 (1472 posts) - - Show Bio

*Insert black stereotype here and add the prefix, super*

I was thinking the name "Furian" would be cool, and his kryptonian name could be Fur'ann.

#38 Edited by Transformaa (289 posts) - - Show Bio

Now im racist?..How many black super heroes are there? green lantern.cyborg.? im not racist i state facts. Sad to say, but going back to the roots of slavery they would take the strongest male to produce with the strongest female..Too..have the more all around best structure kid..i didn't mean black men dominate every single sport category. As far as sprinting, jogging, jumping better than every one else. its in our DNA stronger..look at the in the Olympics. Blacks have 95 percent of every record in athletic competition. And im not talking about pole volt or javelin. African decent are far superior in the category of athleticism. No other races has come close to the caliber of speed/jumping agility ability in a competitive manor..It depends on what you grow up on yes...but track and field is a sport the world participates in. And what sports demonstrates the best athletic competition..? track and field. Not just sports dominating by black people like football or basketball. Thats not a world sport..well basketball is.. I was trying to say there is no other race on earth that is more athletically trained than black men..Dont be afraid to talk about genetics. Just as Asian descents dominate martial arts and white people dominate swimming and hockey..facts..

#39 Edited by Thitiki (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

Jeez this isn't racist at all. So what if black kryptonians have a different power set from white ones? Wah wah it's so offensive gtfo.

Guess I have to complain white martians are superior to green ones because of skin color right?

#40 Posted by BR_Havoc (1347 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Kryptonian's would be more evolved than us not give a damn about race the powers would not be any different.

#41 Posted by BR_Havoc (1347 posts) - - Show Bio

@transformaa: Breaks down to evolution people that have close ties to Africa (because in reality we all came from Africa) calf muscles are placed higher on their leg which is supposedly why black people can run faster or can jump higher but I think we're slowly starting to see that is untrue and it comes down to training and culture. You say Asians are better at martial arts yet they're raised at a young age around martial arts its part of their culture but that does not mean a white or black person can't be as good or better at it.

People need to stop with race stuff here it does not matter and I have said it before in other threads no one should be proud of their race, it does nothing but cause problems. You did not pick your parents or genes so why have pride in something you had no control over.

#42 Edited by Myrmidon_ (5084 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe a black Kryptonian would find it harder to absorb sunlight (due to skin pigmentation being darker, hence, the sunlight [theoretically] would find it harder to get in). Now in real life. That effect would be all but negotiable as they'd still be getting enough. For arguments sake let us assume that black Kryptonian's do not get the same amount of usable sunlight. Maybe however, this would lead to them sun-dipping more. Evolutionary adaptation would probably start and after millions of years of evolution maybe black Kryptonian's body synthesis and uses "sunlight" more efficiently than say, a white Kryptonian, or maybe, their body keeps the sunlight inside their body and cells longer....Using it more efficiently.

People need to stop being offended when talking about color, so close minded.

#43 Edited by Myrmidon_ (5084 posts) - - Show Bio

@br_havoc:

Breaks down to evolution people that have close ties to Africa (because in reality we all came from Africa) calf muscles are placed higher on their leg which is supposedly why black people can run faster or can jump higher but I think we're slowly starting to see that is untrue and it comes down to training and culture.

It can be argued black people have an evolutionary advantage due to slavery. Only the strongest slaves survived, and the ones who had children, passed on their "stronger genes" hence black people being better at sports. Please look at things logically, and not simply "this is true" or "this is untrue" due to personal bias. It could easily be argued black people have an evolutionary advantage.

#44 Posted by JeanRalphio (1842 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course the black people are secluded to a harsh,hot & dry desert and don't live with the white people.

#45 Edited by BR_Havoc (1347 posts) - - Show Bio

@myrmidon_: By that logic it could be said that black people are not as intelligent because slaves were not educated but we know that is not true. Genes have some facts you may be naturally athletic because your parents were but it still comes down to training to make you an athlete. This is the Tyson Gay argument not every person in Africa was brought over the states or the Netherlands as slaves. The records still show the higher calf muscles from families that never left Africa which means this evolution comes from much further back then slavery. Many scientists believe it was the environment that shaped this stemming from the need to flee from the faster predators.

#46 Posted by Pyrogram (41582 posts) - - Show Bio

@br_havoc:

By that logic it could be said that black people are not as intelligent because slaves were not educated but we know that is not true.

Wrong. Intelligence does not primarily link to genes. Having a body adapted to physical activities is a well documented scientific fact. I am not even debating with you if you deny this. It's simple evolution in the work, and it's not even a debate. Black slavers would have survived (due to strength) and they would have passed on their stronger genes. Like it or not, that's the truth. Maybe it's only true for a small minority of black people or maybe, the difference is negligible. But denying that truth is a futile pursuit as it goes against the theory of evolution which really....Is just a fact, I think. I am using logic and you are using...Personal bias. Intelligence and physical activities are not one of the same. They cannot ever be used to digress into why a certain persons genes are better than anthers. So please, save me the bother of having to explain to you why you are wrong, and just agree with me. I don't particularly have the time to enter a debate when the other person is merely debating for the sake of debating when I'm clearly right, and you're clearly debating off a fallacy or false knowledge (or maybe, just for the sake of it) and not wanting to back down.

Genes have some facts you may be naturally athletic because your parents were but it still comes down to training to make you an athlete.

This is not even part of the debate. You just admitted genes have "some part" so why are you even trying to debate otherwise? You plainly stated I was correct. I am not saying a white person cannot be better than a black person, that's stupid. But I'm saying it could be argued certain black people from certain ethnic backgrounds could and do have a genetic advantage.

The records still show the higher calf muscles from families that never left Africa which means this evolution comes from much further back then slavery. Many scientists believe it was the environment that shaped this stemming from the need to flee from the faster predators.

And you just agreed with me. So.....I can't see why you are contradicting yourself and disagreeing at the same time.

#47 Posted by Transformaa (289 posts) - - Show Bio

Even in the Man Of Steel..The biggest strongest kryptonian was black..Nem-ek..So maybe the black kryptonians were made to be the biggest warrior.

#48 Edited by BR_Havoc (1347 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram:Wow way to overreact to a once civil conversation. What I'm disagreeing with you on is that fact it does not solely come down to slavery the number of slaves that had children would make up a minority of black people. This comes from a much longer evolutionary chain the span of 200 years is next to nothing in evolution. What I was saying is this coming from thousands of years of evolution that does not spawn from slavery but the environment that the ancestors that came from Africa lived in.

Genes have SOME and that is the key word here but it does not solely make up if a person is Atheltic or not. There are many factors the way you are making it out to be is if your ancestors were slaves then your just amazing at all spots and superior when that is not the case there still is the large amount of training you have to put in to be good at anything. You make it seem like because my great great great grandfather was an amazing warrior and came from a legacy of them that I should have the same athleticism as him when that is not the case the genes would be watered down over generations.

#49 Posted by Pyrogram (41582 posts) - - Show Bio

@br_havoc: I never said it was solely down to slavery.

#50 Posted by BR_Havoc (1347 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: You were implying that was my stance and you came out swinging a hatchet at me. This was civil no idea why you found it necessary to attack me. You're prime example was slavery which I showed would of been a drop of water in an ocean of evolution.