were are the normal guys in the Marvel U?

Dhor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Dhor

i heard a lot of viners complain that DC characters are too overpowerd and that Marvel keeps them more grounded in reallity. I agree too a certain point but i`ve noticed that marvel doesen`t have many normal guyz.

Dc has a lot of VERY powerfull characters (Superman, WW, Green lanterns, MArtian manhunter,shazam etc) ,they also have a lot of NON-powered superheroes like Batman, batwing, Nightwing,red Robin, Green arrow, Catwoman etc. but they have very few character in between, and by that i mean characters in the same league Marvel`s Spiderman.

On the Other hand most of marvel`s superhero are in between SM, Wolverine, Venom, Iron man, Most of the X-men and so forth. Indeed Marvel has fewer really powerful characters like SS, Thor, Hulk or Sentry but they kinnda lack the normal guys. The punisher is the only "average" guy that i can think of (DD has enhanced senses and Cap in NOT human IMO).

That beeing said i wanted to know your thoughts on the matter.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By joshmightbe

@Dhor: Moon Knight, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Prowler, Nick Fury, Punisher, Nighthawk, kind of a lot of powerless dudes in Marvel. You're just not looking hard enough

Dhor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dhor

@joshmightbe: oky i forgot about about them. and that`s mostly becouse neither of those can`t actally hold an ongoin...that`s the problem with Marvel: they don`t know how to make interesting character without powers and they actually try to use some other characters in humane situations. There were plenty of times they showed Spider-man fighting normal guys and having difficulties, and by all means SM is a 10 toner (at least) so he`s way over street level characters (for instance SM sould destroy Cap or DD but they still fight on pretty equal terms).

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By Timandm

@joshmightbe said:

@Dhor: Moon Knight, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Prowler, Nick Fury, Punisher, Nighthawk, kind of a lot of powerless dudes in Marvel. You're just not looking hard enough

Well, no...

Moon Knight has powers... He gets them some sort of Egyptian god, but he DOES have powers.

Nick Fury - Until VERY recently had the infinity formula in him, keeping him and young and enabling him to heal rapidly, although not at the same level as Wolverine. Think about it, Nick Fury fought in World War II and is still around today? But he wasn't asleep on ice, and he has never been in stasis. So, while he looks like a person without power, he is similar to Captain America.

Hawkeye - true until recently. Hawkeye now has some sort of powers that Marvel has not explained. Not long ago he was shown lifting or throwing a car.. or some such thing. So, yeah.. he's got powers now...

Night Hawk - actually has enhanced strength and agility from some sort of formula... So, even though his suit thing, he still has super powers...

Black Widow - Well, TECHNICALLY she has no "super powers"... but looking that good in leather? That's a power in and of itself.. (just playing)

Prowler and Widow are the only ones on your list that don't have super powers... We could add Iron Man to that list...

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator
@Timandm:  Black Widow looks pretty good for someone 80 plus years old... (heh heh she has various formulas as well) (welcome back by the way, good to see you posting again =)  

As for thread, well remember normal and average are a pretty broad terms, and not always about powers or not. Can refer to personalities, problems, character relationships, interactions so on. 
ImmortalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By ImmortalOne

There are humans in Marvel and DC, but Marvel is in no way more grounded in reality than DC.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By TheCrowbar

Dead.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Blood1991

@Timandm: Hawkeye had powers when he was Goliath so there is that. Oh and when did he throw a car? Anyone have a scan?

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Timandm

@SC: Hey, hadn't planned on coming back yet... Not much time and it's too easy to get involved in... pointless debates in here... Had a lot of health issues hit pretty hard back when I stopped... Was so tired that just getting through the day took all I had...

Anyway, AvX happened and I HAD to come back and rant... Just couldn't help myself...

@Blood1991 said:

@Timandm: Hawkeye had powers when he was Goliath so there is that. Oh and when did he throw a car? Anyone have a scan?

I'll try to find it.. I THINK it might have been during Fear Itself. I vaguely recall it...

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Blood1991

@Timandm: Thanks!

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By joshmightbe

@Timandm: Moon Knight's powers are questionable considering they seem to be solely dependent on the writer, some imply that he has them without having him use them to any effect beyond what most comic book peak humans do, while other writers say he has none and he just believes he does cause he's nuts.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Timandm

@joshmightbe said:

@Timandm: Moon Knight's powers are questionable considering they seem to be solely dependent on the writer, some imply that he has them without having him use them to any effect beyond what most comic book peak humans do, while other writers say he has none and he just believes he does cause he's nuts.

In Secret Avengers he smashed in a Jeep with a single punch... It was very "Iron Fist" like... But you are write in that it very much depends on the writer... But in Secret Avengers, as well as that recent Moon Knight series, they do talk about him having powers... I think Marvel started him off as being their version of Batman.. but... Alas, there is only ONE Batman...

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By joshmightbe

@Timandm: I don't think Marvel really knows what they want from him.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Timandm

@joshmightbe said:

@Timandm: I don't think Marvel really knows what they want from him.

Marvel is afraid, as is DC, to lock a character in.... They're afraid to say THESE are his abilities and powers.. THIS is absolutely the way it is... They want to be able to change the characters on a whim, so that the comics will be like video games in which all the characters are basically equal and any one of them could fight any of the others...

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Timandm

@Blood1991: Haven't found it yet, but I'm reasonably certain it is in New Avengers, Volume 1... the scan of Hawkeye throwing a car...

Dhor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dhor

another thing i don`t like about Marvel: they tent to talk to much about the power level of some heroes widout any scans to back it up and some heroes are just outrageous when they are beeing described. let`s take Sentry(i like his character by the way) he has the power of 1 million explodin suns:O WTF does that even mean? hes power level was changing from issue to issue. and there are a lot of other characters that seem WAY too outrageous (Rees Richards experiments could destroy universes every day of the week so the 616 Universe could just end becouse Reed Richrads from 617 or another U has an experiment that goes wrong). I for one like it when a character has his powers defined and the writers are confined within those limits.(for example i like how they treated Aquaman in the new 52: they presented his powers in the first few issues so the reder know what to expect of him)

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Crash_Recovery

@joshmightbe said:

Moon Knight has superhuman strength from Khonshu.

Hawkeye used Pym Particles to be Goliath.

Black Widow has a variation of the Super Soldier Serum.

Nick Fury has the Infinity Formula.

Punisher was Franken-Punisher.

Nighthawk has had super strength and agility from an alchemical potion.

But I'll give you Prowler.