well hello there. new comic fan desiring some suggestions

hellxenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

hello everyone! as i kid i used to love reading comics, but as i got older i got bored with them etc etc, but recently a few friends got me back into them, i was wondering if anyone could help with some suggestions on what to read, because all the titles can be a little overwhelming, i read The Man-Thing's 1997 story arc that appeared in strange tales and thought it was absolutely awesome, so i was wondering if anyone can recommend something like that, or something really psychedelic

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batwoman if you're a superhero fan. The Walking Dead and Revival if you like spooky stuff. Not much else I'd recommend right now, but I don't read much Marvel stuff. I'm sure a fan from that side of the fence will show up with some suggestions. The few issues I read of the new Captain America run were good, but not overly compelling.

It's a good time to get into (or return to) comics, though. Both companies launched new marketing initiatives fairly recently, with DC's being the most dramatic upheaval. They cancelled all of their previous titles and relaunched fifty-two books, calling them "the New 52." Since then several titles have been added and dropped. Marvel did something similar with its "Marvel NOW!" but they didn't go so far as to ax their entire line.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Demon Knights is a brilliant fantasy series with fantastic characters and great art that everyone should be reading.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I never read Man Thing, but I think Swamp Thing from DC is similar and its very good. I also recommend you check out Valiant comics. They release great comics.

Med

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Med

there's a new series called east of west that just began. it looks really promising and you can just jump right in.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Billy Batson

Sounds like you'd enjoy Alan Moore's Swamp Thing.

BB

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

BB

I second this and add Morrison's Animal Man and Neil Gaiman's Sandman

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never read Man Thing, but I think Swamp Thing from DC is similar and its very good. I also recommend you check out Valiant comics. They release great comics.

You should also try the New 52's Swamp Thing and Animal Man. They crossover with one another. Really great reads. I couldn't put them down and they are highly recommended. Start with issue #1 for both and work your way to the present.

WebHead32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would most definitely recommend Valiant comics. Harbinger and Shadowman have been amazing.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10 JediXMan  Moderator

Sandman.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@billy_batson said:

BB

I second this and add Morrison's Animal Man and Neil Gaiman's Sandman

Might as well add rest of the old Vertigo and related. Hellblazer, Morrison's Doom Patrol and Milligan's Shade.

BB

hellxenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thanks everyone for the suggestions!! i've actually started several of these at this point, so i guess i was spot on with my question XD but, does anyone know of any especially psychedelic artwork in comics? thats the main thing i really loved about the man-thing run. the art in animal man and the new swamp thing is also fantastic

hellxenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hellxenn

@end_boss: batwoman looks awesome, i will definitely have to check that out

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By End_Boss
@hellxenn:
@hellxenn:

18hunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How strong are the spawns?

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Stormbox

@hellxenn said:

thanks everyone for the suggestions!! i've actually started several of these at this point, so i guess i was spot on with my question XD but, does anyone know of any especially psychedelic artwork in comics? thats the main thing i really loved about the man-thing run. the art in animal man and the new swamp thing is also fantastic

I dont know if id call the art "psychedelic" but you should check out promethea

hellxenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormbox: promethea is on my list for sure, i love alan moore, i was a huge fan of all the movies based of his stuff without even realizing it was all by him, then i read watchmen and that sort of pulled me in