• 111 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Are we the only ones that think about some of our favorite comic book couples the closer we get to February 14th? Probably not! There are so many great and iconic relationships in comic books that it's hard not to think about and celebrate them, especially around Valentine's Day, right? What about the...strange ones, though?

It's much easier to sit here and list off some of the greatest comic love affairs: Gambit and Rogue, Batman and Catwoman, Sue Storm and Reed Richards...but what about the weirdest comic book romances? Strange comic book romances are actually a lot more common than we may want to admit.In fact, some of them are seriously kind of creepy. No, really. We've compiled a list of a few of the weirdest ones for your entertainment starting with one that dates back to when comics first made it really big.

== TEASER ==

Not too long ago we published an article that focused on one very creepy romance between two comic book characters: Supergirl and her horse, Comet. Comet the Super-Horse was actually a pretty prominent comic book character back in the day; with 78 appearances, Comet left a, well, interesting mark on Supergirl's history.

Comet made his very first appearance in ACTION COMICS #292 and in it, Supergirl simply could not stop day-dreaming about her white stallion; this might be because Comet was not your average Super-Horse. Long before he was a horse, Comet was a Centaur named Biron who was transformed into a full horse by Circe, a powerful goddess who eventually became one of Wonder Woman's nemesis. Comet wasn't transformed permanently, however. Each time a comet flew overhead, the horse would change back into a man for a short period of time.

In an issue of ACTION, Comet and Supergirl actually share a kiss and it seems that the two had fallen for one another. At least it was certainly something that the horse felt very strongly about, anyway, based on some of the panels from those issues. Talk about creepy.

Moving on from bestiality, we have Doc Ock and Aunt May. In issue #131 of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, Doctor Octopus manipulates Peter Parker's Aunt into falling in love with him and the two almost get married. Can you imagine? Doc Ock, one of Spidey's greatest foes would have also become...his Uncle? What better way to get his hands on Spider-Man than by manipulating the woman closest to Peter Parker? Sure, manipulating Aunt May into falling in love with you might seem like a good idea, but how did she overlook the fact that Doctor Octavius had four additional mechanical arms?

We can't bring up mechanical arms without mentioning another weird romance recently cited in Paul Cornell's ACTION COMICS. Prior to the launch of the 'New 52,' writer Paul Cornell wove a very good (albeit, very weird) story that featured Lex and his partner in crime, Lois Lane. For several issues readers wondered whether the Lois featured in Action Comics was really Lois Lane.

Some thought that the character was from a parallel universe and that she was not the Lois Lane we saw in comics -- that is until Lex literally peeled her face off. In Cornell's ACTION series, Lex Luthor developed a robot version of Lois Lane using the real Lois Lane's DNA and Kryptonian technology taken from Brainiac. The character was used by Cornell to pose a challenge and offer a new perspective for Lex, in turn developing his character. We do have to wonder what he did with the Robot after those romantic dinners, though.

One of the strangest (and most taboo) relationships seen in comic books was a forbidden love alluded to during Marvel's ULTIMATES. In this alternate universe siblings Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver got pretty cozy, and thing got even more heated in THE ULTIMATES III's first issue written by Jeph Loeb.

If there were any doubts about the couple's incestuous relationship prior to that moment, those doubts were squashed.

Love is a beautiful thing -- unless of course it's creepy and weird, and sometimes (let's face it) it can be. Which of the moments above is the weirdest? What weird comic book romances have we left out?

#1 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by NightFang (9967 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool: I think hate you now.

#3 Posted by mettlekm (417 posts) - - Show Bio

Vision and Scarlet Witch (there she is again!)

#4 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

You forgot Rogue and Magneto. LOL

#5 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Quicksilver and Wanda's relationship was just...wow. There's no words.

#6 Posted by Burnstar1230 (209 posts) - - Show Bio

Beastiality, Robot lover, a supervillain marrying your elderly aunt, or Incest? Although it's the least uncommon, I would have to say Incest.

#7 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

@NightFang said:

Why? =(

#8 Posted by NightFang (9967 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool said:

@NightFang said:

Why? =(

I was eating until I saw that image.

#9 Posted by spider-man 2996 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

That Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch was... I don't know how to put it.

#10 Posted by Vortex13 (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

@Burnstar1230: You find incest creepier then beastiality? lol. I mean they're both insanely creepy but to me human on animal action is creepiest. At least with incest they're both human.

#11 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

@NightFang said:

@Deadcool said:

@NightFang said:

Why? =(

Its "forever alone", an internet meme. º3º

#12 Edited by Decept-O (7275 posts) - - Show Bio

Doc Ock and Aunt May ALWAYS creeped me out.

#13 Posted by sagejonathan (1916 posts) - - Show Bio

@NightFang: lol

#14 Posted by bladewolf (692 posts) - - Show Bio

Also in the comic Luthor we see Lex get cozy with another robot he built...

#15 Posted by NightFang (9967 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool said:

@NightFang said:

@Deadcool said:

@NightFang said:

Why? =(

Its "forever alone", an internet meme. º3º

I still hate you.

#16 Posted by lykopis (10753 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock85 said:

You forgot Rogue and Magneto. LOL

This. ;)

But bestiality and incest? Kind of hard to top those two.

#17 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: LOL Agreed.

#18 Edited by The Impersonator (5247 posts) - - Show Bio
We do have to wonder what he did with the Robot after those romantic dinners, though.

Lex must have f**ked her real good. =P =P =P

#19 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

@NightFang said:

I still hate you.

I don't hate you....
#20 Posted by NightFang (9967 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool: Damn, poppy dog eyes gets me every time.

#21 Posted by frochez (194 posts) - - Show Bio

Not to mention the relationship between Zero and No-Girl in Gen. Hope. Initially it was wierd because she was a brain in a jar and her was a wierd half-melted play-doh man. Now, she out of a jar and in a new body... which was created from Zero's own gooey substance and attached to him by what looks like an umbilical chord. And their shacked up together. It's like sleeping with your conjoined twin....

#22 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14594 posts) - - Show Bio

weirdest one: Peter Parker and Carlie Cooper

#23 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

A sentient version of the Iron Man armor falling in love with Tony Stark was pretty weird...although kind of one sided. Tony didn't really feel the same way as the armor, so it kidnapped him and put him on a deserted island...

#24 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (526 posts) - - Show Bio

Beast and anyone (as of now, Abigail Brand...)

Siryn and Deadpool

#25 Posted by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

Tied only to Ultimate Pietro and Wanda, (and possibly Silver Age Supergirl and Comet) I would say the creepiest "romance" would be Ms. Marvel and Marcus. The love story starts with Carol being kidnapped, brainwashed, and raped her in another plane by Immortus, resulting in her pregnancy, giving birth to Marcus, finding out that Marcus is Immortus in mortal form, who proceeds to develop at an accelerated pace, and convinces her to go back to his home dimension where they will be lovers. And the Avengers were all "well I guess it was just meant to be."

It doesn't get much weirder than that.

#26 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

@NightFang said:

@Deadcool: Damn, poppy dog eyes gets me every time.

YAY!!!

Feels Superman
#27 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember on Brave and the Bold, Platinum turning herself into a chair for Batman to sit on, complete with her face as the seat.

Or the way Beast Boy would watch Raven in her sleep, usually disguised as an animal.

#28 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@Duo_forbidden said:

One of the worst parts of that entire relationship was the scene where Wasp explains to Captain America what's going on with them like it's the most normal thing in the world...

#29 Posted by frogjitsu (478 posts) - - Show Bio

The Comet/Super Girl romance was the first one that came to mind when I saw the title to this article.

#30 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

No mention of hal jordan and arisia before the retcon?

#31 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

You should have mentioned Poison and how he was gonna impregnate Gwen Stacy's corpse with a symbiote.

#32 Posted by DATNIGGA (1188 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarlett witch & quicksliver... but there brother & sister ugghhhh

#33 Posted by WildValentine (289 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:

You should have mentioned Poison and how he was gonna impregnate Gwen Stacy's corpse with a symbiote.

Good GOD.
#34 Posted by God_Spawn (37595 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does Loeb writing an incestuous relationship NOT surprise me at all?

#35 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3525 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nudeviking said:

@Duo_forbidden said:

One of the worst parts of that entire relationship was the scene where Wasp explains to Captain America what's going on with them like it's the most normal thing in the world...

Wow. Creepy. I stopped reading "The Ultimates" because I didn't like the creative direction. I guess I made the right decision!

#36 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@WildValentine said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

Good GOD.

Even worse, the symbiote he was gonna impregnate the corpse with looked like Carnage.

So that's adding incest on top of everything.

#37 Edited by Onemoreposter (4007 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, you'd think pedo would make the list.

As for the other ones I really don't see the problem. I feel like two consenting sentient beings of age should be able to do the nasty or have a committed relationship. The problem with beastiality (at least the way I see it) is that animals can not give consent so every time a human has sex with one it would be interspecies rape (though I could see an argument being made that if the human is a female and the animal "mounts" of its own free will it could be acceptable). However, in anycase that argument is moot since comet was an intelligent being able to reason. Supergirl and comet are a-okay in my book.

Same with Wanda Pietro. Incestuous relationships have been pretty common throughout history. Freud even suggested that our aversion to incest wasn't innate but rather a stigma placed by society because of our knowledge of the high probability of genetic mutations which can result. Further elaborating, I think its possible that it it makes so many people "queezy" because the thought of a family member you have platonic love for having romantic love for you is worrisome or even scary. Sorta like people disliking or being afraid of homosexuals because they wouldn't ever want to think that their "pal" might want to diddle them. But two consenting immediate family members who are romantically in love should be able to get it on without stigma.

As for the Luthor and the bots. I don't see the difference between that and a vibrator. People already have "highly" (I use that term lightly) realistic sex dolls. Luthors' can just help him conquer the world at the same time.

I thought Kyle Raynor and Bueno Excellente's relationship was a little creepy. Though that was pretty one sided I imagine. Heh heh heh, bueno.

#38 Posted by Punisher007 (56 posts) - - Show Bio

Remember when Zeus and Odin hooked up? That was weird......

#39 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

Ranma ½ volume 33

I request to read. Ukyo and Kunochi you would self destruct. After you are done reading it you should show it to friends to see their expression of their face when they are reading it. it is priceless

There is another book that dealt with Ryoga accidently using a love rod on Ranma. It is priceless I cannot remember it without smiling.

#40 Posted by G-Man (31845 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: You do know it was Mark Millar that 'introduced' them in the Ultimate Universe and not Loeb, right?

She's straddling his leg!

Staff
#41 Posted by Burnstar1230 (209 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man said:

@god_spawn: You do know it was Mark Millar that 'introduced' them in the Ultimate Universe and not Loeb, right?

She's straddling his leg!

Or is he straddling her leg? Think about it...

#42 Posted by God_Spawn (37595 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man: I stand corrected.

@Burnstar1230: ....Well played.

#43 Posted by LaserLambert (636 posts) - - Show Bio

if anyone thought the Scarlet Witch loving the android Vision in the main universe was a little strange, Incest probably knocked them for a loop. also the way it was written, like Captain America was the only one who didn't understand it, like it was because he was from the past so he's out of touch, and that apparently (in that writer's eyes) incest is a socially acceptable and beautiful thing...

#44 Posted by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

What about Ultimate Blob and Liz Allen's Mom? The physics of that are mind boggling....

#45 Posted by sparty-dbq (789 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

#46 Edited by SpidermanWins (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's.... thing, was just weird in the Ultimates

#47 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't think it classifies as a romance but...damn, I wholeheartedly don't approve of this.

#48 Edited by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

@Nudeviking said:

@Duo_forbidden said:

Wow. Creepy. I stopped reading "The Ultimates" because I didn't like the creative direction. I guess I made the right decision!

Yeah I actually stopped after the second arc? series? Ultimates 2, but this exact issue was a free download on the Marvel app a week or so ago, which is why it is fresh in my mind. It also taught me a valuable life lesson: Do not read Ultimates on a crowded rush hour subway train unless you want people to think you're some kind of creep-vert.

#49 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@sparty-dbq said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

It happened. I didn't write it.

Happy Valentine's Day.

#50 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

Don't think it classifies as a romance but...damn, I wholeheartedly don't approve of this.

That's ultimate universe isn't it? Didn't Wolverine and Peter Parker switch bodies Freaky Friday style so the Wolverine touching teenage MJ is actually Peter Parker. Though in the actual book it is alluded to that Wolverine in Peter Parker's body did some sort of inappropriate maneuvers on her.