Web Comic Spotlight: 7/4/12: Penny Arcade

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Welcome back to the Web Comic Spotlight where we take a look at a piece of the comic book world that keeps us entertained on a daily basis. Last week, we took a look at a Corsage Man, a comic created by one of my friends as a belated birthday present. Gee, I sure am a supportive friend! This week, we finally take a look at the juggernaut of web comics, Penny Arcade.

No Caption Provided

Penny Arcade is one of the longest running web comics on the internet. This gem hit the net back in late 1998, before the concept of web comics was truly a thing. Penny Arcade was created by writer Jerry Holkins and artist Mark Krahulik.The strip comes out every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and since its inception, it has become more than just a web comic. There is also a whole section on video game news called The PA Report, online shows, and even a convention.

Penny Arcade, the web comic, focuses mainly on the world of video games and those who play video games. Each strip usually features the characters Gabe and Tycho (or John and Jack as they're jokingly referred to in one of the earlier strips), and each strip usually goes over something incredibly topic within the industry. It's nice to go back through earlier strips and see the two guys talking about Nintendo 64's Super Smash Brothers.

I can't tell you how many times I've felt like this
I can't tell you how many times I've felt like this

This was a tougher site to give the award to because simply, the vast majority of people on the net know about Penny Arcade or at least have heard of it. What's great about this strip is that it's actually funny. There's lots of web comics out there that try but fail miserably. Penny Arcade is humorous and if you're a gamer, you may find yourselves laughing at your own pain, like the scene above.

The strip is simple and has a great art style to it as well. It's distinct and stands out. It has a great cartoon style to it, and you could totally see this as an animated series. It's a strip a lot of gamers can relate to and it's an incredible fun read. Aside from that, the site has grown with the internet, and there's tons of things to do on it.

Make sure you check out the Penny Arcade website, and as always, I'll leave you with one more strip featuring something I never stop thinking about while playing Angry Birds Space.

No Caption Provided

If you think there's a web comic that needs a spotlight, please e-mail us at comicvinespotlight@gmail.com. I really do read all these emails, so send them.

Mat "Inferiorego" Elfring is a comedian, writer, and host of the internet show no one watches, Barely Watchable. Follow him on Twitter: @inferiorego

ishmaelbbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By ishmaelbbc

Penny Arcade is one of the coolest webcomics around and they never lose their integrity. They know the business really well and that leads to 1) you don't understand every comic if you haven't read anything written about new games and 2) it always feels right on target.

Always read the columns to each comic, too, they tend to be funny and philosophical.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Rumble Man

Two words

Fruit F*cker

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Just curious do you guys take nominations for the spotlight? Cause I have a couple.

Now onto Penny Arcade, few things on the internet have made me laugh so much as these guys. Their comics are hilarious, the write up that goes with each comic hilarious, even their behind the scenes commentary is great. These guys get it and I love how they touch on just about everything in the "geek" culture from comics to video games to table top games.

erik_norris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By erik_norris

Welcome to right above my work desk....

No Caption Provided
KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By KainScion

@erik_norris said:

Welcome to right above my work desk....

No Caption Provided

you move fast........... wait a minute? *turns to angry mob* I FOUND HIM!! i found FLASH!

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RedOwl_1

Poor angry bird, the comic it's hilarious btw

AdrianSchultz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AdrianSchultz

Has anybody else noticed the uncanny resemblance Gabe and Tycho have with Rick Hunter and Roy Fokker from Robotech?

CBattles6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CBattles6

I'm not really sure who "Mark Krahulik" is. "Mike Krahulik," however, is an amazing artist and would probably be really ticked off if someone got his name wrong when spotlighting his webcomic.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

The Angry Bird spoof was AWESOME ^_^