Web Comic Spotlight: 6/27/12: Corsage Man

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Welcome back to the Web Comic Spotlight where we take a look at a piece of the comic book world that keeps us entertained on a daily basis. Two weeks ago, we delved into the adorableness that is You, Me, and Zombie. This week we take a look at a new webcomic that I've become a fan of, Corsage Man.

No Caption Provided

Corsage Man was created by Chicagoland graphic designer and comedian Shaun Fitzpatrick. I'm proud to call this guy one of my friends and I am honored to guest star in the comic above. Well, at least the 19 year old version of me guest starred in the panel above.

No Caption Provided

This bizarre character was created in a coffee shop back in the early 2000s on a list of "worst super heroes of all time." It took close to a decade after doodles and sketches for this awkward character looking for love to come to light.

After a year or so of doodling these out, Shaun finally made a tumblr page for this comic to call home this year. A few of the stories come from Shaun's real life experience, and they feature a slew of his real life friends.

What I've always liked about Shaun's art is the simplicity and d.i.y. style to his art. Everything is hand drawn, including the panels, and while there's a childlike look to the overall art, there's sophistication in his composition. The colors are simple, and they pop off the page.

One of my favorite things about this comic, as a whole, is that this is a character I can relate to, in a sense. He's a man from the tail end of generation x just trying to put his life in order, and he spends a lot of time in his own head. He makes bizarre assumptions about the world around him, and at times, the reactions from those around him are the opposite effect than he wanted. Corsage Man has a light-hearted American Splendor feel to it. It's a look at the real world with a dash of awkward sunshine.

Shaun updates it a few times a month currently, so keep your eyes peeled for the newest ones to hit his page. Happy belated birthday Shaun. If you stop drawing this web comic, I will be so sad. Make sure to check out the Corsage Man tumblr page and you can follow him on twitter as well.

If you think there's a web comic that needs a spotlight, please e-mail us at comicvinespotlight@gmail.com. I really do read all these emails, so send them.

Mat "Inferiorego" Elfring is a comedian, writer, and host of the internet show no one watches, Barely Watchable. Follow him on Twitter: @inferiorego

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Master_Thief

This article is sooooo true

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By longbowhunter

At first I was like "Damn...Smash Mouth?". Then I read the early 2000s thing.

eiderglast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By eiderglast

inspires me to do my own comic...

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points