Posted by inferiorego (21227 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome back to the Web Comic Spotlight where we take a look at a piece of the comic book world that keeps us entertained on a daily basis. Last week, we featured the adorbale greatness that is Little League. This week, we take a look at a web comic that pokes fun at the comic book industry, Gutters.

If there's one thing about comic book fans that everyone knows about, it's that they have big voices and strong opinions about the industry they know and love. Gutters is exactly that: a hilarious criticism of everything comic book from some die hard fans and some great artists.

Gutters takes the complaints every comic book fan has from time-to-time, puts into a one page comic, and most of the time, it's downright hilarious. It's one-page stories fans can relate with, since most of the topics covered in Gutters deal with very topical subjects that most of the internet is already complaining about.

Gutters releases a new page every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. The comic started back in June of 2010, and since then, there are over 200 pages of this comic.

All the comics are written by Ryan Sohmer, Ed Ryzowski as colorist, and Lar deSouza as art director. The really cool thing about Gutters is that it has a rotating list of artists that pop on to do the pages, so if you don't like one of the artists one week, it won't be a turn-off to you because a new artist is right around the corner. You may recognize Lar deSouza from the web comics Least I Could Do and Looking for Group.

Take one of the more recent Gutters comics (to the right) featuring the new Marcus Johnson AKA Nick Fury Jr from Battle Scars, which finished it's run right before the Avengers hit the theaters! This little story line kind of slipped under a lot of people's rader, and this comic really sums up the storyline well: Nick Fury has a son who looks a lot like the movie version of Nick Fury, son of Nick Fury loses an eye, son of Nick Fury brings his friend Agent Colston with him, and son of Nick Fury wears Steve Roger's old outfit. While many people may have like the actual comic, the Gutters sums this up pretty well: movie tie-in stupidity.

Nothing is safe, not even some of your favorite books, story lines, or creators, if Gutters spots ridiculousness, they will make fun of it, which I love. It's nice to see someone take a humorous look at an industry that many fans complain about, yet find infallible.

In the archive section, you can check out all of the 290 current Gutters pages. For aspiring artists, there's a submissions page as well to get your portfolio rated by the Gutters team and maybe become a part of the web comic. You can also purchase two volume of Gutters, each featuring 64 gutters pages on the shopping page.

Make sure to check this site out, if you have a love/hate relationship the comic book industry. It is worth your time, but I must warn you. Once you start reading, you won't stop. All images come from the Gutters website.

There were quite a few e-mails this week featuring some great web comics. It was a tough choice! Thanks to Jared Throne for sending this our way! If you think there's a web comic that needs a spotlight, please e-mail us at comicvinespotlight@gmail.com.

Mat "Inferiorego" Elfring is a comedian, writer, and host of the internet show no one watches, Barely Watchable. Follow him on Twitter: @inferiorego

Staff
#1 Posted by deadpool25mm (576 posts) - - Show Bio

lol ! at the Nick Fury part! (from battle scars)

#2 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah marvel took things to seriously about being similar to the movie

#3 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8871 posts) - - Show Bio

This seems like another great web comic this week! I know I wll be checking the comic out

#4 Posted by Zghost (100 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been going to this site since it started, blind ferret entertainment has a bunch of good comics.

#5 Posted by revbucky (306 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of good humor. Thanks.

#6 Posted by Mucklefluga (2513 posts) - - Show Bio

haha this looks great, i love this new feature!

#7 Posted by AirDave817 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoy Gutters. But, it is not for the weak stomach. It is amazing to see how many people find offense in the comments section. I think even some strips have had to be re-done due to objection. I read his other strips for a while Least I Could Do and Looking For Group.

#8 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

I was thinking the same about The Walking Dead :D,

Also awesome feature ;) this guys are great I'm Just LMAO X-D

#9 Posted by thephantomstranger (129 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

But from what I heard about that comic it sounds like the exact opposite. Like the company just busted into the room and said "We need movie fury!" and the writer just went bat[gblingo] all up in that piece! It's sounds utterly insane in the best way possible. While the initial order was kinda stupid and dumb it sounds like it turned out as a different kind of dumb, IE: the awesome kind of dumb. I'm saying this comic is probably Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol...

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32683 posts) - - Show Bio
@thephantomstranger said:

@KainScion said:

But from what I heard about that comic it sounds like the exact opposite. Like the company just busted into the room and said "We need movie fury!" and the writer just went bat[gblingo] all up in that piece! It's sounds utterly insane in the best way possible. While the initial order was kinda stupid and dumb it sounds like it turned out as a different kind of dumb, IE: the awesome kind of dumb. I'm saying this comic is probably Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol...

That comic was a pile of crap 
#11 Posted by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

I have never seen a more accurate representation of the Walking Dead, good job.

#12 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

It's like Penny Arcade for comics! Up to issue 112 now.

#13 Posted by SoA (4688 posts) - - Show Bio

@Zghost: me too! i made a post for people to check it out when it began but i guess it had to be official on CV to be given a chance lol

#14 Posted by sparty-dbq (775 posts) - - Show Bio

I discovered Gutters a few months ago and I've really gotten into it. I like it now more than the half-dozen video game comics I also read.

#15 Posted by zombietag (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

been reading this for a while, its like the SNL of comics haha

#16 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

The dissection of Walking Dead is what made me laugh the hardest. Great stuff! :)

#17 Posted by Herx (374 posts) - - Show Bio

man do i love Gutters. been following it from the first time it came out and im just hooked on it now. plus their con-bingo sheet is to true to complain about anything else :) (i mean i actucaly use some of the strips to reply "Humorously" and "originaly" to other topics.)

#18 Edited by Bobzenub (120 posts) - - Show Bio

There are many ways to parody Garth Ennis' work, but the last comic featured here fails miserably at that. It's like Sohmer has not read anything from Ennis, he just spewed back the BS he heard from Ennis haters.

#19 Edited by WolfMonkey (302 posts) - - Show Bio

I recommend this two weeks ago, Inferiorego says, to me in a message no less, he'll check it out. Now he reviews The Gutters, and thanks Jared Throne for it "this week"... what am I? chopped liver? thanks matt...

#20 Posted by Mercy_ (92548 posts) - - Show Bio

Gutters is the bestttttttttttttttttttt

Moderator Online
#21 Posted by wmwadeii (3219 posts) - - Show Bio

Pure Awesome

#22 Posted by KidSupreme (824 posts) - - Show Bio

looks good

#23 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

"Once you start reading, you won't stop."

I can vouch for that, started reading last year and I've been checking the site every Sunday since