• 56 results
#1 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (17340 posts) - - Show Bio

Which side are you on? The weapon users who fight alongside their trademarks, to become even stronger than they are or those who don't take assistance from any tool, they're just as good without any help! Choose:

On one side, we've people like:

Superman, Goku, Dr. strange, Naruto, spiderman, and so on:

These guys are already such beasts that they themselves can be considered a weapon. So they ask:

Think your weapon can match this?
Why would I need weapon, If I have this?

Against:

These guys have different question. How'd thor look without his hammer? What'd ichigo do without Zangetsu? Doesn't odin look way better with his odin sword?hawkeye minus bow? cap without shield? Why not use items to strengthen yourself, if it makes you even more awesome than you already are? Who wouldn't like to have an awesome trademark ? Not just swords,but bows, bullets,staffs,wands and things like hisagi's lethal looking blade, kazeshini.. they can have it all!

Some people can achieve far better results than ordinary because they train with a particular weapon:

Fighting monsters? Forget Hands! This is what you slash them with!

Which side do you like more? Which one would you rather be a member of? What makes a better superhero, weapons or no weapons? Which guys sound overall cooler?

State your side and reasons..

#2 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the comparison is largely arbitrary and subject to various scenarios. For instance, a hero who uses weapons might be more effective when fighting against a villain who can turn off your powers, or copy them (ala Amazo). And on the other hand, a hero who utilizes his own powers might be more effective against someone like Taskmaster (who can copy moves), as Taskmaster can't copy their powers.

As to the matter of which side I prefer and which side is 'cooler', I don't really mind either one. But I guess I'd fall more into the latter category, as a large amount of my favorite characters are weapons-users (Bats, Cap, Moon Knight et cetera). Also having an iconic weapon is one of the most classic aspects of superhero mythology.

#3 Posted by Hoarderofhilarity (299 posts) - - Show Bio

Technically wouldn't Parkers web-shooters count as a weapon O.o

#4 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

weapons are always cool even if you dont need them. like carrying a sword even if you have superman type and level powers. it's always cool. but most Super heroes i like are non weapon users and I think that if they are more rescue focused then it's okay. but it doesnt hurt to have a few surprises up your sleeve

#5 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hoarderofhilarity said:

I was thinking this too.

Now on to the question, I guess I favor the weapon users since I prefer streetlevelers (the exceptions being Thor, Hulk, Iron Man) and the vast majority of them use weapons, even ones like Shang-Chi who don't have a iconic weapon still use weapons from time to time.

#6 Posted by PowerHerc (83508 posts) - - Show Bio

Non-weapons.

#7 Posted by Clark_EL (2654 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hoarderofhilarity said:

Yep

@PrinceAragorn1: Oh by it would have been cool if you would've added Batman to weapons.

#8 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@PrinceAragorn1: Dr. Strange uses the Eye of Agamotto and wears a magical cape  which grants him the power of flight and a few other things... Would not these be considered tools?
#9 Posted by TERMINATORFAN (1250 posts) - - Show Bio

No Weapons at all.

Weapons are for cowards.

#10 Edited by PrinceAragorn1 (17340 posts) - - Show Bio

@Clark_EL said:

@Hoarderofhilarity said:

Yep

@PrinceAragorn1: Oh by it would have been cool if you would've added Batman to weapons.

I was thinking that too... About the spiderman issue though, I just watched the tobey-starring movie XD

#11 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (17340 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm said:

@PrinceAragorn1: Dr. Strange uses the Eye of Agamotto and wears a magical cape which grants him the power of flight and a few other things... Would not these be considered tools?

Well, he just boosts magic by that, right? not like he's using the cape to strangle someone :)

By weapon I meant more like a sword, or bow,gun or things like that..

#12 Posted by Clark_EL (2654 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceAragorn1: What about Batman? His tech/weapons are amazing not to mention wonder woman.

#13 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (17340 posts) - - Show Bio

@Clark_EL said:

@PrinceAragorn1: What about Batman? His tech/weapons are amazing not to mention wonder woman.

Ah come on, never mind the examples. Just say what kind of superhero would you rather be. weapon user or non weapon user..

#14 Posted by Clark_EL (2654 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceAragorn1: OK sorry :)

Anyways depends on which weapons do I have nun-chucks or a Green Lantern ring.

#15 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (17340 posts) - - Show Bio

@Clark_EL: Hmm. Ok :)

#16 Posted by judasnixon (6584 posts) - - Show Bio

I like weapons as character design accessories as long as it's not a cliche boring sword or a big dumb Rob Liefeld gun. I look at character's weapons like a part of the characters costume, like a cape or a cowl. I see Catwoman's whip or Hawk Girl's mace less as a weapon, and more the part of the look of character.....

#17 Posted by Clark_EL (2654 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceAragorn1: See I like characters who get in fist fights, but weapons give you an edge and sometimes adds more excitement.

#18 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not on either side, for both sides are equally awesome.

#19 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (17340 posts) - - Show Bio

@Clark_EL: Yup, I like weapon users more as well, I was actually looking for discussion about opinions like:

TERMINATORFAN said:

Weapons are for cowards.

#20 Posted by Clark_EL (2654 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceAragorn1: Weapons are for cowards @TERMINATORFAN: yeah the military uses weapons because they are afraid. Weapons even out a fight or give you an edge.

#21 Edited by blackwolf0925 (147 posts) - - Show Bio

You know, not to be nit-picky and all but Naruto using weapons as well. Kunai and Shuriken were apart of his arsenal. Now though he uses mostly his techniques. Me I go for both sides, I like hero who can use pretty much their environment/themselves as weapons.

#22 Posted by TERMINATORFAN (1250 posts) - - Show Bio

@Clark_EL said:

@PrinceAragorn1: Weapons are for cowards @TERMINATORFAN: yeah the military uses weapons because they are afraid. Weapons even out a fight or give you an edge.

I know and the children that bring guns to school to harm others are not afraid.

#23 Edited by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@PrinceAragorn1 said:

@Timandm said:

@PrinceAragorn1: Dr. Strange uses the Eye of Agamotto and wears a magical cape which grants him the power of flight and a few other things... Would not these be considered tools?

Well, he just boosts magic by that, right? not like he's using the cape to strangle someone :)

By weapon I meant more like a sword, or bow,gun or things like that..

Yeah, those are definitely not weapons.  I was addressing the part where you said,  " don't take assistance from any  tools."  I thought you meant paraphernalia other than weapons.    But I got it now...

Now, regarding Superman...  it seems unfair to call him a "non-weapons' person since he uses heat vision, freeze breath, and whatever else he has.  I realize, those are his natural abilities and they are not devices he is carrying.  But, the reason others use weapons is that they don't HAVE heat vision and freeze breath and whatever... The need the weapons to accomplish things that the non-weapons users can do naturally.    For example, Cyclops could be considered a non-weapon user, correct?  But then, isn't his optic blast itself, a weapon?

However, if it's just a direct simple answer to the question, "which type of Super Hero you would rather be, Weapon-user or Non-weapon user?"      Then... Non-weapon user....   But then I would want things like Super strength, super speed, heat vision, healing factor, energy projection, and a sidekick...
#24 Posted by Clark_EL (2654 posts) - - Show Bio

@TERMINATORFAN: I don't really want to talk about school shootings.

I'm just going to say that weapons at least gives you a better chance at winning.

#25 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@Clark_EL said:

I'm just going to say that weapons at least gives you a better chance at winning.

COMPLETELY AGREE.  This thread isn't about and shouldn't degrade into a discussion about school shootings...  The poster wants to know if you'd rather be a super hero that uses weapons or a super hero that doesn't.  It's a nice simple question...
#26 Posted by TERMINATORFAN (1250 posts) - - Show Bio

@Clark_EL said:

Of course people a better chance at winning... Cause they're to whimpy to do it with their hands or feet

#27 Posted by Clark_EL (2654 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm: Exactly

@TERMINATORFAN: So Green Lantern's wimpy?

#28 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@TERMINATORFAN said:

@Clark_EL said:

Of course people a better chance at winning... Cause they're to whimpy to do it with their hands or feet

Yeah! A normal human can totally take out a Jet with his bare hands!

#29 Posted by Clark_EL (2654 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@TERMINATORFAN said:

@Clark_EL said:

#30 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I think it doesn't really matter all that much. Don't really care if a character uses a weapon or not.

#31 Posted by TERMINATORFAN (1250 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@TERMINATORFAN said:

@Clark_EL said:

For 1. Thats a humans fault for building a jet and you're just making crap up now like a Man vs a Jet. Well Man vs Machine, the machines gonna win hands down, but I've noticed now a days people dont fight other people witht their hands. They use guns or knives which makes them cowards. ME. I'm old school. If I fight ya, i'll do it with my hands and legs rather I win or lose. I would never resort to a gun or a knife like most of the cowards in this world does.

#32 Posted by TERMINATORFAN (1250 posts) - - Show Bio

@Clark_EL: Yes, then that makes Green Lantern a wuss. and Stop quoting other peoples post towards me that are disagreeing with what I have to say. Don't think you're gonna join someone and tag team me. Thats also a sign of being a guttless coward.

#33 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@TERMINATORFAN: It's not about fear or any of that jazz. A swordsman uses a sword because it's more effective, it's about logic.

#34 Posted by TERMINATORFAN (1250 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite: No, They use swords to fight other people cause they're cowards. They know without that sword, they'd get dropped on their heads like babys.

#35 Edited by Clark_EL (2654 posts) - - Show Bio

@TERMINATORFAN: Having an advantage over someone else is cowardly. If the other person has a physical advantage over you what are you going to do then?

#36 Posted by TERMINATORFAN (1250 posts) - - Show Bio

@Clark_EL said:

@TERMINATORFAN: Haiving an advantage over someone else is cowardly. If the other person has a physical advantage over you what are you going to do then?

I've been in a situation like that before where I got into a fist fight. I got into it with my older brother a few years back and he whooped the shit out of me. Did I resort to using a knife or a ball bat? NO. I accepted defeat like a Man and thats respect.

#37 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@TERMINATORFAN said:

@Decoy Elite: No, They use swords to fight other people cause they're cowards. They know without that sword, they'd get dropped on their heads like babys.

You're not using logic at all.

#38 Posted by TERMINATORFAN (1250 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@TERMINATORFAN said:

Neither are you. A Better question would of been. " Well what if 50 guys gang up on you? " then I probably would resort to a deadly weapon if I had it on me cause that wouldnt be a fair fist fight in my part.

#39 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@TERMINATORFAN said:

@Decoy Elite said:

@TERMINATORFAN said:

Neither are you. A Better question would of been. " Well what if 50 guys gang up on you? " then I probably would resort to a deadly weapon if I had it on me cause that wouldnt be a fair fist fight in my part.

Logically if you want to win a fight you give yourself the advantage. Weapons give you the advantage.

Thus logically one would use a weapon.

The only reason you wouldn't is because either A) You are confident you don't need one or B) there is something stopping you from using one.

Cowardice has nothing to do with it.

#40 Posted by TERMINATORFAN (1250 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@TERMINATORFAN said:

@Decoy Elite said:

@TERMINATORFAN said:

Logically if you want to win a fight you give yourself the advantage. Weapons give you the advantage.

Thus logically one would use a weapon.

The only reason you wouldn't is because either A) You are confident you don't need one or B) there is something stopping you from using one.

Cowardice has nothing to do with it.

Weapons give you advantage, but it proves thats the only way you can win.

1. You're right I do have confident.

2. Their is something stopping me and you know what that is? NO FEAR. People who are afraid resort to using weapons on another human being.

Yes being a yellow belly has alot to do with it unless like I said you're going against multiple guys.

#41 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@TERMINATORFAN: 1. I'm not talking about you.

2. That is a ridiculous claim.

I am not strictly speaking human vs human here given we are talking about fiction.

Your argument makes no logical sense and is only guided by what seems to be some strange sense of pride.

#42 Posted by TERMINATORFAN (1250 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@TERMINATORFAN: 1. I'm not talking about you.

2. That is a ridiculous claim.

I am not strictly speaking human vs human here given we are talking about fiction.

Your argument makes no logical sense and is only guided by what seems to be some strange sense of pride.

1. If you're not talking about me, then who are you talking about? Do you even know what you're talking about?

2. Well i'm speaking upon human vs human standards and I know I make perfect sense out of it. Again I know its 2013 everyone thinks they're the hot stuff now with Guns and Knive rather than a fist fight.

Dude I'm strong enough to flip over/ throw semi trucks. If anybody messes with me, I would tear them apart with my bare hands or I could throw them into a planet. I'm that strong, fast and powerful.

#43 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@TERMINATORFAN: 1. I was speaking of theoretical logical person.

2. Why are you using those standards for a thread about weapon and non weapon users in fiction? Normal human vs normal human is pretty rare in comics.

Okay, that doesn't matter here at all.

#44 Posted by TERMINATORFAN (1250 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@TERMINATORFAN: 1. I was speaking of theoretical logical person.

2. Why are you using those standards for a thread about weapon and non weapon users in fiction? Normal human vs normal human is pretty rare in comics.

Okay, that doesn't matter here at all.

1. Whatever you say.

2. Well I thought we were speaking real world standards so nm. Comics well. It all depends on whos fighting who. If SA Superman is fighting Doomsday, then he better sneeze Doomsday into the sun.

#45 Posted by Clark_EL (2654 posts) - - Show Bio

@TERMINATORFAN: Was your brother trying to kill you?

#46 Posted by TERMINATORFAN (1250 posts) - - Show Bio

@Clark_EL said:

@TERMINATORFAN: Was your brother trying to kill you?

No. It was a fist fight.

#47 Posted by Clark_EL (2654 posts) - - Show Bio

@TERMINATORFAN: Exactly real enemies are going to try and kill you. So unless death is taking it like a man.

#48 Posted by TERMINATORFAN (1250 posts) - - Show Bio

@Clark_EL said:

@TERMINATORFAN: Exactly real enemies are going to try and kill you. So unless death is taking it like a man.

Ok, if its a death battle then thats different. If it's a fist fight, then i'll fight h2h. when or lose. My Brother well Brothers fight. Thats part of life.

#49 Posted by Clark_EL (2654 posts) - - Show Bio

@TERMINATORFAN: Criminals usually always try to kill the hero.

#50 Posted by Thorcules (68 posts) - - Show Bio

Since i love Thor gonna have to side with the weapons. Although non weapons are cool to.