Was the 90s the Marvel/DC version of the dark ages?!

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

...Been thinking about this lately. In the 60s we had the Silver Age and the birth of Marvel comics, the 70s the bronze age came with some all time classic comic stories and the first Super-hero film, Superman. Then in the 80s we had some great comics (Frank Millers classics, Walter Simonsen's Thor, David's Hulk in particular) and the first Batman film in 1989. The 1990s however...hmm, we had Batman forever and Batman and Robin (yuk) films and the Death of Superman, which was seemingly needed to re-boot a fading franchise and I cant think of any outstanding moment from that whole decade. Then in 2000 the X Men movie ushered in a whole great era of films and also some classic comic books involving the likes of Batman, Hulk and Ultimate Spiderman, etc...

So of all the decades since the super-hero genre really caught on, would you say the 90s was the lowest point? i.e. the Dark Ages, or Middle ages..? Speaking personally I pretty much gave on comics and super-heroes altogether in the 90s, with the exception of Wolverine, who I started to follow in that period. Given that he was an anti-hero, I think that says it all!

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By youknowwhattodo

It might have been the lowest point but there were some good things to come out of it. Chief among those I think is in the animation department, shows like Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, X-Men, Spider-Man were some of the best if not the most influential comic-book-hero shows ever. I know some people now might view them as corny but I do think that they get the spirit of the characters better than many shows do now.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

The 90's were a great decade for comic.

David's Hulk in particular

Most of PAD's Hulk happened in the 90's.

BB

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

90s Superman is an abomination.

Avatar image for rideaspacecowboy
RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

User Lists: 0

The '50s were the Dark Age of Comics. It began with the collapse of "long underwear characters" following the conclusion of World War II, which led to countless publishers closing their doors. Then Fredric Wertham published Seduction of the Innocent, which in turn led to the Comics Code Authority, which marginalized the entire medium as being for juveniles, a mindset which lingers yet today and from which the industry may never fully recover. The negative effects of Wertham and the Code are of such lasting magnitude that they have no analogue in any other medium.