Was Frank Millers "The Spirit" really that bad?

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FiguredOut95

Before you give me a flat out YES in the comments let me say:

Firstly I understand it was far from the Will Eisner original but Miller new the guy personaly, that is a privilege that the majority of us will never have so how do we know what he wanted?

Secondly The film was poorly marketed, people expected another Sin City and where disappointed with the more light hearted approach.

Lastly dissing Miller off as "crazy" is just poor.

There is a few more things I wanted to say but I forget :/

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I saw the Spirit before Sin City and so I had no basis for comparison, that said, the Spirit isn't a good movie. It's just not. Like, there isn't really one or any number of things you can point to and say "that's why it sucked" (aside from the nonsensical plot), it just didn't work.

The style wasn't too abrasive, but it was off putting enough to vex the casual moviegoer and any serious film fan (who might appreciate the stylistic uniqueness) would hate the movie for the directorial and scripting failings. It's not the worst movie ever by any stretch, it's just a forgettable movie about forgettable characters.

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FiguredOut95

@FadeToBlackBolt: I agree it is not a good movie but i won't accept that it is trash, like many others.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@FiguredOut95: It's still better than Jonah Hex and Ghost Rider 2 lol

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FiguredOut95

@FadeToBlackBolt: most certainly

BlackReaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By BlackReaper

I loved it.

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FiguredOut95

@BlackReaper: sweet.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By TDK_1997

I am not really keen on the character and I don't know much about him but from what I saw in the movie I wasn't interested.The movie was just bad for the plot that didn't entertain me and it most certainly didn't work well as Sin City.

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FiguredOut95

@TDK_1997: I love sin city but i feel the problem is to many people compare them.

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FiguredOut95

bump

cuddles666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11  Edited By cuddles666

@FiguredOut95: I loved The Spirit and found it absolutely hilarious. Granted, I was kind of drunk, but the Minions and the whacky dialogue ("Something...dental? Dental and NAZI.")--not to mention Sand Sariff's butt-copier scene--make the film something of satirical pulp masterpiece. Little touches, like the perky girl cop texting on her Nokia in what is obviously a Depression/WWII-era also made me chuckle. It's like Sin City meets Batman & Robin!

And before you ask, I thought Sin City was way too melodramatic and Miller's visual effects did not transition well to the big screen at all. The inverted black-and-white sections in particular made it look like the characters were bleeding milk.........or worse................................