Follow

War of Kings

Story arc »

After the events of Secret Invasion, the Inhumans claim the leadership of the Kree, bringing them into conflict with a Shi'Ar Empire ruled by Vulcan.

war of kings series follow up is upcoming "Realm of Kings"

Avatar image for emperorvulcan432
    emperorvulcan432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By emperorvulcan432

Hey guys wondering what will happen after war of kings well its called "Realm of Kings" its will feature the "Who will rule oneshot" "Realm of Kings oneshot" "Realm of kings:inhumans" and "Realm of kings:Imperial guard"...heres a interview of both the writers from war of kings= 

Marvel is keeping me plenty busy after WoK. Realm of Kings (RoK) will involve at least two new mini-series, covering the Inhuman and Imperial Guard consequences of the Kree-Shi’Ar War. Andy and I will be back to a book a week on the Marvel schedule.

He couldn’t mention anything more about it at the time because no official announcement had yet been made. However, Marvel Comics just made an announcement about the title at Chicago Comic-Con (previously Wizard World Chicago).

By Kevin Mahadeo

As the War of Kings event comes to a close, a new era begins for the denizens of the Marvel cosmos: a Realm of Kings filled with new adventures, new dangers and tons of new Marvel space-based stories rocketed straight to readers by the writing team of Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning.

“It’s less an event and more a state of mind,” explains Lanning. “War of Kings was this giant, galaxy-shaking event that [change] things in huge ways; Realm of Kings is the dramatic new world the cosmos finds itself in. The books we’re writing, including the ongoing GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY and NOVA titles, will tie into this and explore it. Realm of Kings is about new threats, new challenges, new political landscapes, new allies, new enemies and it’s about exploring strange, new worlds. Realm of Kings is bringing you bold new surprises, strange old friends, and a few dark gems from the past. If War of Kings was about courage and tragedy, then Realm is about wonder and adventure.”

It all begins with the WAR OF KINGS: WHO WILL RULE? one-shot this September, which follows up on the tragic ending to WAR OF KINGS that saw the death of both Black Bolt and Vulcan and explores the political power struggle left behind in the wake of stellar war. Then in November, get ready to really explore the new Realm of Kings with the REALM OF KINGS one-shot with art by Leonardo Manco, which sets the landscape and tone for the event, two five-issue limited series with REALM OF KINGS: INHUMANS and REALM OF KINGS: IMPERIAL GUARD, as well as tie-in arcs in both GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY and NOVA.

INHUMANS, featuring the art of Pablo Raimondi, sees a family torn apart by the death of their King sends a tragic rift through the Royal Family. As Queen Medusa suffers emotionally from the loss of her husband, she comes into direct conflict with her sister Crystal, who suddenly finds herself the chosen leader of a people.

“This is the intrigue book, where things are as sly and underhanded and treacherous as the dealings of an Elizabethan court,” explains Abnett. “The Inhumans are divided. The Kree are unhappy. Medusa and Crystal are in opposition. Medusa is almost destroyed by the loss of her husband, while Crystal fights fiercely for what’s right and proper, and that includes the welfare of the Kree. As [that] relationship decays, what of the apparently mismatched relationship between Crystal and her ‘arranged’ husband Ronan? Layered onto this, there’s lashing of action with Gorgon, Karnak and Triton as threat after threat come to try their luck against the young, vulnerable empire.”

The IMPERIAL GUARD series, with art provided by Kev Walker, tries to put together the shambles of the Shi’Ar Empire left behind following the demise of Lilandra and Vulcan. Although WAR OF KINGS #6 saw former Imperial Guardsman Gladiator holding the Imperial Scepter, as Abnett put it, “no one ever became majestor or majestrix without someone else crying foul or trying to claim the throne themselves-or killing people.” As the title suggests, the book focuses on the Imperial Guard, specifically a select team as they head out on a dangerous mission.

“We’re also going to play up that feeling from War of Kings that [the Imperial Guard] aren’t super heroes,” says Lanning. “They’re individually meta-powered warriors from an elite military unit.”

As for the NOVA tie-in beginning with issue #31, the galaxy’s only law-enforcement operation finds itself hard at work in the new Realm of Kings, with priority number one being hunting down the galaxy’s most wanted fugitive and Lilandra’s assassin: Darkhawk. In GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, the team desperately tries to fix a massive tear in the fabric of the space-time continuum.

“Apart from them yelling ‘We told you so!’ the Guardians will be working every hour of the day and night to get this rip in space and time sealed again,” says Lanning. “But things are going to be tough: the outcome of the War of Kings for the Guardians is especially shocking, and leads directly, and unexpectedly, into their biggest story yet, and a clash with one of the most powerful bad guys in the Marvel Universe-ever!”

Overall, both Abnett and Lanning admit to adoring the cosmic part of the Marvel Universe. Fans since childhood, the duo revel in being able to play with these characters from the Marvel toy box, but find it difficult to choose even one or two favorites.

“The Inhumans are universally great,” crows Abnett. “We both love Karnak and Gorgon, but writing Crystal made us get very involved with her as a character, and writing Maximus is just huge fun. Plus Medusa, of course, her majesty. So we’ll say Lockjaw. Hussar is a bit of a favorite amongst the Imperial Guard, and Mentor is good value for money, but we both have a very soft spot for poor Smasher, or should we say, the Smashers, plural? Just how many versions of him are we going to be able to kill, we wonder? As for our favorite Guardian, that’s tough. Rocket Raccoon and Star-Lord are both fab. We have a real soft spot for Gamora and Drax. Oh, and Mantis. Dammit! We can’t pick Cosmo, because we can’t pick two dogs on the same list! All right, you know who our favorite Guardian is? He is Groot!”

is that cool guys,it look like war of kings just led on to something bigger and better with new heroes,villains and so on...and i bet vulcan and blackbolt will be coming back,and look at that picture of gladiator "beast" 
    please comment this forum on what you think guy...
    stevepidge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By stevepidge

Gladiator does look like an unstoppable beast. I'd love to see his character developed further considering his recent developments that there is more to the Strontian then just a pawn of the throne.

emperorvulcan432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By emperorvulcan432

yeah and that picture with the black botl statue looks kind of like a resurrection(wink wink) maybe that how he comes back or it just might be a funeral
    sexy beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sexy beast

Black Bolt statue looks more like memorial because they think he's Dead and MIA.

emperorvulcan432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By emperorvulcan432

it could be one of three things 
    memorial 
    funeral 
    ritual/resurrection

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Dreadmaster
    @emperorvulcan432 said:
    "

it could be one of three things 
    memorial 
    funeral 
    ritual/resurrection

"

I like that last one the best. :P 

I'm getting the inhumans series.
    emperorvulcan432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By emperorvulcan432

im getting all of them because each one will have the same characters,so if blackbolt is in inhuman hell be in imperial guard...and also dont forget about the nova and guardians of the galaxy tie ins that will feature important info...what im going to do is the same thing i did with war of kings,ill just get the tpbs of the guardians of the galaxy and tpbs of nova and buy each invidual comic of realm of kings but when they release the hard back for them ill buy it like im going to do with war of kings 1 -6 and war of kings ascension
    cennobite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cennobite

Only a hand full of beings could mess Gladiator up like that, maybe it was The Unspoken that did it. From what we have seen of him in his first appearance he is very very powerful. 

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By danhimself

I wasn't too impressed with War of the Kings....Annihilation and Conquest were great books but War of the Kings just didn't live up to them
    box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By box turtle

Looks awesome!  So, Crystal leading the Kree/Inhumans.  Interesting.  I wish they could just reunite her with Quicksilver, or have her start up with Johnny Storm again.   
     Favorites Medusa, though, and she is who I'll be reading to find out about... 

emperorvulcan432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By emperorvulcan432

well it doesnt really look like gladiator is getting beatin it looks like he fighting a very good fight...maybe someone is challenging him for leadership and the unspoken cant be doing this to him because black bolt totally whopped the unspoken but he had a hard time with gladiator...it just looks like gladiator is mad and his clothes are torn
    emperorvulcan432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By emperorvulcan432

oh and if this is a funeral for black bolt i know for sure we can expect to see a lot of good heroes there and if im right i think maybe a little action might happen,becaus not everyone liked black bolt and i doubt they can have a peacful(not saying furnerals are peacful) funeral with this war still brewing....and maybe this realm of kings is a type of ghost world in which black bolt and vulcan are stuck after death,ever think of that?
    cennobite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cennobite

Also its not totally unheard for a character to come back from the land of the dead in comics.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By danhimself

Medusa looks awful Phoenixy in that first picture
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By King_Saturn
    hey... sounds good to me
    Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dreadmaster

Gladiator looks awesome and pissed in that picture. :P

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By pixelized

i don't like the way medusa looks in that cover

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hamz
    @danhimself: First thing I thought of as well when I saw that cover. Commence conspiracy theory that she somehow tries to use the Phoenix force and bring back her beloved Black Bolt?
    emperorvulcan432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By emperorvulcan432

@Hamz:
    do u think gladiator could beat black bolt one vs. one

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By danhimself
    @Hamz:  god I hope not....that thought hadn't even crossed my mind...I was just saying that she looked kind of Phoenixy
    Avatar image for bastion_the_master__sentinel
    Bastion the Master--Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Ronan would be the leader of the Kree again,he did so much for his people during Annihilation and conquest

emperorvulcan432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By emperorvulcan432
    @Bastion the Master--Sentinel:
    yeah thats a good question because he kind of switched it over to black bolt and now black bolt is gone so maybe either ronan will take back over or the new leader of the inhumans will
    cennobite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cennobite

Vulcan said near the end of the fight with black bolt I'm omega you can't kill me I will just rebuild myself. Did he really mean that he could literally rebuild himself with sufficient energy or was he just ranting.

emperorvulcan432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By emperorvulcan432

i think he meant that because crystal said he could and also the writers said that his new ability would come in handy after war of kings in realm of kings
    cennobite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cennobite

Yeah there have been times in comics where characters powers increase or change under extreme duress. So if he can use that power to survive the explosion, I wonder will Black bolt come back, what ability would he be able to use to survive that kind of explosion.

emperorvulcan432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By emperorvulcan432

well i can tell you that they both will come back for the one shot and for the entire realm of kings story,you already have hypothesis of how vulcan might come back but i cant tell you anything about blackbolt because its too big of a spoiler
    Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kurrent

Will the Star Jammers be in this?

cennobite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cennobite

Well I for one can't wait to see what happens.

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dreadmaster
    @Kurrent said:
    "Will the Star Jammers be in this? "

I hope they are in the Imperial Guard mini, if they are not i hope things get sorted out in the Who Will Rule one-shot and we know what happens to them.
    emperorvulcan432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By emperorvulcan432

the starjammesr will be appear in all the guardians of the galaxy and imperial guard but will only be in a cuople of inhumans,and the who will rule is actually a ending for war of kings and a beginning for realm of kings and itll feature all the characters that will be in realm of kings and after that the character list will only stay the same. 

if you want the the full story and keep up on realm of kings you need to read these upcoming comics: 
    war of kings who will rule oneshot 
    realm of kings one shot 
    realm of kings inhumans 
    realm of kings imperial guard 
    guardians of the galaxy 18-24 
    nova 31-35
    cennobite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cennobite

I wonder how big will The Unspoken be in the whole storyline and just how powerful is this character.

v2freak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By v2freak

I hope they do something great with the Unspoken. The description of Mighty Avengers #27 said something like 'Doom, Black Bolt, Black Panther, Ka-Zaa, Thor...there are many powerful monarchs but only one who was so powerful he had to be written out of history.' With a build up like that, I hope he'll be a major player and not just an obstacle the heroes face and defeat in three issues. They gave him Sentry-level suspense.
    Calix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Calix
    @v2freak: I got that sense too and the way he Alpha-Flighted that Chinese(Asian?) force was any indication not to mention Quicksilver freaking out....

@cennobite: about Vulcan rebuilding himself I posted an answer in the WoK #6 post but summarized.  Gambit and Vulcan share the same power just on different levels, Gambit could heal himself by stimulating cellular activity and since Vulcan has the same energy manipulating powers but on a much higher level he can probably do the same with considerable more ease than Gambit.

I will definitely be getting all things RoK. (since I am currently scrapping many earth based Marvel books) Marvel Cosmo (Abnett and Lanning) had gotten me hooked ever since Annihilation Conquest which led me to GotG and Nova. Even had me going back for back issues of Annihilation with WoK which I did really like for several aspects within the book.

I was especially intrigued by Crystal's assertiveness when it came to their new Kree subjects and Medusa's immediate dismissal of the Kree favoring her sister. I recognized the potential future clash between the two sisters that seemed a long time coming going back to the Skrull Invassion in fact and have been looking forward to it. Then their is her marriage to Ronan, btw that is a very interesting developments that is very entrenched with the before mentioned aspects and to suggest she returns to Johnny Storm would be a step back for her and Quicksilver is just ick-gross, yes he is the father of her child but frankly put the weasel is unworthy.

Gladiator as the new Majestor is something I really look forward to and the Starjammers of course. I like that they are running with the new team of Starjammers consisting of X-men that frankly put seem to be more in their element away from earth than they ever where while on it.

I don't even doubt that GotG and Nova will be just as good as they have been so far if not better. 

Thou I am unsure what to make of the Unspoken role out in the Cosmo considering that they are currently on Marvel earth gathering all the Avengers with the exception of Osborn's lackey's to square of with him.

Thanos is likely to rear his head again thru that rip in space and time they are now calling the Fault with Kang the conqueror is likely to pay a visit thou we mustn't forget that former Nova Prime that went nuts, Phyla-vell who seems to be coming more violent as things progress. 

In short definitely worth checking out!
    emperorvulcan432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By emperorvulcan432

heres some more photos from the entire story arc

these photos are from war of kings who will rule oneshot

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Every notice how Black Bolt and Gladiator look alot alike?

And this looks awesome.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hamz
    @Nova`Prime`: If you mean the art style of their general facial features then yes I do notice a similarity, but that may just be down to the same artist and their method of drawing facial features?

I do like Gladiator's black outfit though.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @Hamz: Yep that's what I mean. And that black outfit does look bad ass.
    CM9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CM9

I want black bolt back :(

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.