Vote for the best comics for kids.

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Edited By B'Town

I have decided  I am going to buy my niece and nephew each a subscription to a comic and I want your help choosing fun books, that don't suck.   

I have been saying I would buy these kids a subscription for a couple of years now and haven't followed through, for the most part because I thought they were still too young and also because I didn't know which kid books would be best.  The last thing I want to do is buy them a dumb book they will hate and be responsible for turning them off comics.  If I am going to introduce them to comics i want them to love them like I do.   

My niece is 10, I would love to introduce her to Wonder Woman but think she is still too young for WW series.  My nephew is 7 and I am at a loss as to which book a boy his age would like most., he likes all the usual suspects when it comes to Superheroes and cartoons. 

I am leaning towards a subsription to Batman the Brave and the Bold because I have read some great reviews and it sounds fun.  I am thinking Batman the Brave and Bold would be great for both of them and I will probably choose that book for one of them, but I want them to each have their own subscription to different books... so I need two great books; they can share or not, that is totally up to them.  Hahhaheh.  I wonder how sharing will go over at that age?  heh. 

I have narrowed my seach to these books, but I will gladly take a look at others if you think I am missing something great. 

Cartoon Network Action Pack
Batman the Brave and the Bold 
(This sounds great, but let me know if you think it sucks)
Scooby-Doo, Where are you? 
Tiny Titans - (I am thinking this is too young) 
Marvel Adventures Spider-Man 
Marvel Adventures Super-Heroes 

Help me out here, please Vote!   

What do you think are the two best dang books for boys and for girls and why. 

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I'd say the Marvel Adventure Titles and Brave and the Bold, but I know little about either of them. The only comic of those that I've read is Tiny Titans (I got it from Free Comic Book Day).

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

i would say Power Pack and Tiny Titans

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Icon

I'd say Power Pack and the Marvel Adventures books. 

cpt_linger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By cpt_linger

Phantom is a great palce to start, its where i started :)
warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By warlock360
@JediXMan said:
" I'd say the Marvel Adventure Titles and Brave and the Bold, but I know little about either of them. The only comic of those that I've read is Tiny Titans (I got it from Free Comic Book Day). "
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By TypingKira

Power Pack, fo sho. 

PierceSunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By PierceSunder

Marvel Adventures Super-Heroes 

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By B'Town

Nice response so far.  I will need to check out Power Pack for sure, it's new to me.  Also, I will take a closer look at Tiny Titans and the Marvel Adventure books.  Comic Vine is a great place for me to look up these books.   

Thanks to everyone for your help.

shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By shawn87

I would recommend the Runaways for kids. They're available in hardcover, paperback and digest formats

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By B'Town
@shawn87:
Funny. Heh, I must be a big kid myself, I have everything of the Runaways!  I actually still have them on my pull list.  I refuse to take them off thinking they will start a new any day now. 
shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

#11  Edited By shawn87
@B'Town said:
" @shawn87: Funny. Heh, I must be a big kid myself, I have everything of the Runaways!  I actually still have them on my pull list.  I refuse to take them off thinking they will start a new any day now.  "
Yeah I enjoy them myself. I wish they would relaunch the series already
B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By B'Town
@cpt_linger:
I don't know much about Phantom.  I will check into this too.  Thanks.
Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Martian

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG!!!  =D

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By B'Town
@mr.obvious:
Serious Sonic!  Yeah I like that idea.. is it good? 
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#15  Edited By xerox_kitty

There are oodles of different Power Pack titles, which are all 4 issues long :)  Power Pack, Power Pack Fantastic Four, Power Pack Hulk, Power Pack Avengers, Power Pack X-Men, Power Pack Iron Man, Power Pack Spider-Man, Thor & The Warriors Four, etc.

Then there's the Pet Avengers.  You just HAVE to get the Pet Avengers! Lockjaw &the Pet Avengers, Lockjaw & the Pet Avengers Unleashed, Tails of the Pet Avengers, Tails of the Pet Avengers Dogs Of Summer, Avengers Vs Pet Avengers :)

There's also Fraggle Rock from Archaia :)

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

If you want to look for them the old Power of Shazam series was great and more recently Thor: The Mighty Avenger and of course Tiny Titans!. 

Lunchlady Darkseid FTW
 Lunchlady Darkseid FTW
B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By B'Town
@xerox-kitty:
Wow these Power Packs are popular, I am going to pick some of these up.  Thanks for the info on there being 4 in each series, I had no idea and this will help me be sure I don't miss any.  Also, I don't know why I didn't think of Pet Avengers, they rock.  I haven't read much of the books but I am familiar with some of the characters.  Thank you so much for your help.
B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By B'Town
@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
"If you want to look for them the old Power of Shazam series was great and more recently Thor: The Mighty Avenger and of course Tiny Titans!. 

Lunchlady Darkseid FTW
Lunchlady Darkseid FTW
"

I LOVE the LunchLady!  This is too funny.  Thanks for this and your help.
skullface15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By skullface15

I recommend the Marvel Adventures series!

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By B'Town

@skullface15: Hey thanks, I will check some out. So, far I have bought several of the Power Pack books and subscribed to Tiny Titans and Teen Titans for my niece and nephew. I am still interested in purchasing more for them. I would like to have both of them each have a new book per week.

Thanks for your help. :D

harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 21

#21  Edited By harleyquinn12

Tiny Titans is a really good choice. It sometimes mentions things things that happen in DCU continuity, so they'll understand those things when start reading mainstream DC. Plus it's a lot of fun!
B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By B'Town

@harleyquinn12 said:

Tiny Titans is a really good choice. It sometimes mentions things things that happen in DCU continuity, so they'll understand those things when start reading mainstream DC. Plus it's a lot of fun!

Tiny Titans is a blast of fun. It is one of the few books that has me actually laughing as I'm reading. I read all of the issues now before sending them off to the kids. :D

okayla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By okayla
No Caption Provided
I know this is a bit of an old thread, but Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade would have been a perfect candidate for the ten year old girl.

I know eighth grade is a bit older, but honestly, in terms of content it was much lower than what she would appreciate in the actual eighth grade. Girls that age tend to aspire to and admire to older girls, especially cool teen ones, and Supergirl is all that without actually being too old for her. The style is great, the art is cool, and it's just really pon point. 

To be honest, the DC Animated Universe is more suited for child friendly introductions.
B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By B'Town

@okayla said:

No Caption Provided
I know this is a bit of an old thread, but Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade would have been a perfect candidate for the ten year old girl. I know eighth grade is a bit older, but honestly, in terms of content it was much lower than what she would appreciate in the actual eighth grade. Girls that age tend to aspire to and admire to older girls, especially cool teen ones, and Supergirl is all that without actually being too old for her. The style is great, the art is cool, and it's just really pon point. To be honest, the DC Animated Universe is more suited for child friendly introductions.

The thread may be old but I am still choosing and buying comics for the kids. Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th grade sounds like a real fun choice for my niece. I will pick it up in trade for her.

I have been thinking about giving her a few series from my collection, as well but think I should wait a couple of more years to give her all of my Batgirl and Supergirl books. That's a good question also, I wonder if these books would really be too old for a 10 year old girl? I don't know, I would hate to send them to her then have her mom take them away and beat me over the head with them. Hahah.

Anyways, thanks again.

okayla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By okayla
@B'Town: You know what? I'm not entirely sure those books are too mature for a ten year old, in fact, Steph's recent run on Batgirl is pretty much all-ages amongst the other adult Batbooks. My memory on the series isn't perfect, but the most 'adult' thing I recall is Damian telling Steph she's flatchested. But if my memory recalls correctly, that's pretty much on par for the gross jerk boys in her classroom at school, I bet. :) I'm not sure if Cass's Batgirl run is as appropriate,  but Steph is a definitely a-okay, I'd think. Batgirl: Year One and Robin: Year One are likewise kid friendly, in fact, I feel like most of the Year Ones are. Superman/Batman is also pretty kid friendly for an older child save one or two arcs (the one where Orion's wife wants to bone Batman being one of the rare ones I'd say nah too).

Also keep in mind the literature in general aimed at young girls does tend to be pretty mature in terms of topic, just handled in a gentle way. Remember those old Baby Sitter's Club books, or say, Sweet Valley Jr. High? Remember, 10 is junior high and the beginning of a lot of big issues.  It might be better to introduce her to some books with the beginnings of 'mature' themes (not legit mature ones, of course), but that also show someone acting responsible towards them. If she's watching shows like Glee then Tim Drake's Robin run, though it deals with themes like teen pregnancy and stuff -- might not actually be that inappropriate for her. It depends on what other stuff she is exposed to at that age, though.

It's also worth a note that if you're trying to just get her into the comic-reading mode in general, there are a LOT of great, great, great non-caped comic books out there for that age group. 

Smile by Raina Telgemeir is perfect, so is her graphic novel run of the first five books of BSC. The French comic Lou! (by Julien Neel) is also dead on for that age...Marvel's Wizard of Oz series, these are all right on for her age and will just help keep her in the habit of reading comics although the caped selection for her age is sorta limited.
B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By B'Town

@okayla said:

@B'Town: You know what? I'm not entirely sure those books are too mature for a ten year old, in fact, Steph's recent run on Batgirl is pretty much all-ages amongst the other adult Batbooks. My memory on the series isn't perfect, but the most 'adult' thing I recall is Damian telling Steph she's flatchested. But if my memory recalls correctly, that's pretty much on par for the gross jerk boys in her classroom at school, I bet. :) I'm not sure if Cass's Batgirl run is as appropriate, but Steph is a definitely a-okay, I'd think. Batgirl: Year One and Robin: Year One are likewise kid friendly, in fact, I feel like most of the Year Ones are. Superman/Batman is also pretty kid friendly for an older child save one or two arcs (the one where Orion's wife wants to bone Batman being one of the rare ones I'd say nah too).

Also keep in mind the literature in general aimed at young girls does tend to be pretty mature in terms of topic, just handled in a gentle way. Remember those old Baby Sitter's Club books, or say, Sweet Valley Jr. High? Remember, 10 is junior high and the beginning of a lot of big issues. It might be better to introduce her to some books with the beginnings of 'mature' themes (not legit mature ones, of course), but that also show someone acting responsible towards them. If she's watching shows like Glee then Tim Drake's Robin run, though it deals with themes like teen pregnancy and stuff -- might not actually be that inappropriate for her. It depends on what other stuff she is exposed to at that age, though.

It's also worth a note that if you're trying to just get her into the comic-reading mode in general, there are a LOT of great, great, great non-caped comic books out there for that age group.

Smile by Raina Telgemeir is perfect, so is her graphic novel run of the first five books of BSC. The French comic Lou! (by Julien Neel) is also dead on for that age...Marvel's Wizard of Oz series, these are all right on for her age and will just help keep her in the habit of reading comics although the caped selection for her age is sorta limited.

Wow, you have been a great help. I have all of Stephs run, Batgirl #1 - 22 so far and will have the entire run before Batgirl begins again with Babs as Batgirl. I have been looking over the issues and I don't see anything too adult-ish. Stephs Batgirl has been sooo much fun for me, it will be hard to part with it but I think my niece will love it. I AM going to box up the entire collection and send it off to her after get and read the last issue.

I have wondered about Wizard of Oz, I will give it and some of these other books a look too. I want most at this time to introduce both kids to books that will not only help them to love art & reading but to also have an appreciation for Comics.

Comics and one TOUGH old teacher helped change my life when I was a kid. I want to share with them something I love and it is my hope they will become lifelong collectors as well.

Thank you so much. I really do appreciate it your help. :D

Cervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Cervantes

Avoid Scooby-Doo -- ordered some (a long story, okay?) and each issue has two stories, but the art isn't great and it doesn't really work, IMHO. Marvel Adventures books, I've heard great things about. Spider-Man is always fun. 

For your niece -- too bad Batgirl never was offered as a subscription. Do you think Teen Titans would be okay? It seems to be more on track now. 

But now you'll have to wait until after the 52 for DC comics...
Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Larkin1388

Marvel Adventure titles
Scooby Doo
Sonic The Hedgehog

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By B'Town

@Cervantes said:

Avoid Scooby-Doo -- ordered some (a long story, okay?) and each issue has two stories, but the art isn't great and it doesn't really work, IMHO. Marvel Adventures books, I've heard great things about. Spider-Man is always fun. For your niece -- too bad Batgirl never was offered as a subscription. Do you think Teen Titans would be okay? It seems to be more on track now. But now you'll have to wait until after the 52 for DC comics...

Oh really... I am disappointed to hear Scooby-Doo sucks. Ok. I will avoid it at least for now. I have enough comics to send the kids. I still have not parted with my Batgirl. I will, but I love the series so much I need to hold onto it long enough to read it all again one more time. I am not getting them subscriptions yet, their parents move around too much. I am having all the books sent to me, READING them myself and then I box them up and send them off, like a big comicbook-y box of fun. Teen Titans I think is ok for my niece, so far I haven't seen anything terribly old for a 10 year old girl. I have not yet purchased Marvel Adventures. I was waiting to see if Tiny Titans was going to end, and pick up MA as the replacement. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love TT. So, hilarious and fun.

@Larkin1388: Thank you for the suggestions. I am going to check out Marvel Adventures for the kids soon. :)

PikminMania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PikminMania
@B'Town: My cousin reads all of them and form personal experience myself, DO NOT get cartoon network action pack. Most of the stories are very lame.

Also get Power of Shazam at their local library or something, and then subscribe to one of these.

I've read them all, so you can trust me
greatest to worst list:
Batman Brave And The Bold
Marvel Adventures Spider-man/ Super Heroes, depends if they like variation or more heroes or not
Tiny Titans
Scooby - Doo, sometimes the stories are great other times they are horrible
Cartoon Network Action Pack
B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By B'Town

@PikminMania said:

@B'Town: My cousin reads all of them and form personal experience myself, DO NOT get cartoon network action pack. Most of the stories are very lame. Also get Power of Shazam at their local library or something, and then subscribe to one of these. I've read them all, so you can trust megreatest to worst list: Batman Brave And The Bold Marvel Adventures Spider-man/ Super Heroes, depends if they like variation or more heroes or notTiny Titans Scooby - Doo, sometimes the stories are great other times they are horrible Cartoon Network Action Pack

Hey, thanks. I am going to pick up Batman Brave and the Bold, I am glad to hear someone else likes it. I really think they must have a Bat book. I am such a Batman fan, I must give the kids an opportunity also. And Marvel Adventures is defiantly on my list. Thank you. :D

MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By MrUnknown

I remember I used to read Scooby Doo stories from the library, They were more like graphic novels but that was way before I got into comics. I'd recommend them! :D

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By B'Town

@MrUnknown said:

I remember I used to read Scooby Doo stories from the library, They were more like graphic novels but that was way before I got into comics. I'd recommend them! :D

Wow, I am getting conflicting recommendations on Scooby-Doo. I think this means I am going to have to pick one up and see for myself. I know I loved Scooby when I was a kid. Thanks for the recommendation. I appreciate all the help I get here. :)

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By cyberninja

Archie.

TheRedRobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheRedRobin
@B'Town
Sonic is good I'm 14 and I still love it it was my complete favorite until I was like 12. It's also very age-apropriate.
B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By B'Town

@cyberninja said:

Archie.

Archie is a classic. :) Thanks for the recommendation.@TheRedRobin said:

@B'Town: Sonic is good I'm 14 and I still love it it was my complete favorite until I was like 12. It's also very age-apropriate.

I am going to have to check Sonic out, I have had a few people tell me to pick it up. I am especially happy to hear you give it such a high recommendation. Thank you so much

Oh and sorry it took so long to respond, I have been off on vacation and my phone is too dumb for CV. haha.

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

I have three picks that I stick with. Scooby Doo, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, and Young Justice. Considering that Looney Tunes is up over 200 issues, DC seems to have a stronger commitment to the all-ages audience. Marvel keeps relaunching their line. But they do have some collected digests. The Spider-Man and Avengers digests have been really good.

My favorite of Marvel's all-ages line was the Marvel Adventures Fantastic Four. I think that was collected in digest, too.

Hope that helps!

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By B'Town

@AirDave817: Thanks for the recommendations Dave. :D

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Billy Batson

Aw yeah.
BB

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#40  Edited By RedOwl_1

I started with kids comic books and I still being young (Hell u guys are mostly 16-19 and I'm 13 so I'm younger yeah) so I know a few stuff.

Young Justice isn't as good as the series and lately has been a little confusing for kids but if you love the cartoon you'll like it but isn't the best thing ever.

Tiny Titans (I have every issue AW YEAH) and Power Pack as many said before.

And isn't here yet but SUPERMAN FAMILY ADVENTURES #1 looks cool and yes is the same creative team of TT so... IS GONNA BE SO AWESOME.

I just read the first issues of "Power of Shazam" but the few I read were totally cool and the art... pfff just great.

@Billy Batson said:

Aw yeah.
BB

Love your user icon :D I had a TT related for a long but now I just have the picture of me... that's really how I look but I'm definitely not a bat.. and the bats know it

No Caption Provided