• 87 results
BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By BR_Havoc

Well I have to say I was no really looking forward to villains month and after reading 10 different specials so far in my opinion this month has spawned some of the worst one shots I can remember.

I have read Harley Quinn, Deadshot, The Creeper, Lobo, Lex Luthor, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Grundy, Zod and Joker. Not a single issue jumped out at me for being good or memorable there all just weak stories that did nothing for me and I think they hindered the villains they were supposed to be highlighting.

So I want to know does anyone else think villains month has been a bust?

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

There's been bad ones but some good ones.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

From what I've heard, most of the issues you just listed have been the worst of the bunch...

Avatar image for marionettegeist
Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Marionettegeist

Harley Quinn, and Joker sucked.

Scarecrow and Lex Luthor were ok.

Two-Face was the best one I've read.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rulerofthisuniverse: Oh joy for me. I have had to suffer through them. I have always been on the fence about the new 52 but this month has actually made me hate a lot of what there doing.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

It's been good so far. Joker, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy and Creeper were bad

Lex Luthor, Zod, Darkseid, Cyborg Superman, and Lobo were good, not great.

Black Manta, Grodd, Two-Face, Ra's Al Ghul, Deadshot and Riddler were fantastic in my opinion.

I still have a big stack I haven't read yet, so there could be some more added to each category.

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LaserLambert

terrible seems harsh, I thought that the Zod one was pretty good, and it may not be amazing but it's a nice change of pace for a month.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@br_havoc: For me the good ones were

• Darkseid (despite the reshuffling of his origin, it was a better written issue)
  • Riddler
  • Zod
  • Lex Luthor
  • Ra'as Al Ghul
  • Mongul
  • And I'm hoping Azzarello's First Born issue will be good though knowing his run, I'm sure it will be.
BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: In my opinion Lobo has been the worst of the month the story was just pointless and how the dialog and narration was done just got annoying . With the Sorry not sorry.

I just finished reading the best issue I have read so far in Killer Frost that book had a purpose and gave some insight into the villain it was not just random crap or a stupid story of them killing people for no reason like Harley and Ivy. All and all I give that one a 7 out of 10

mk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It depends on the issue. It's like an anthology film. Some comics work, some aren't.

But I've heard really good things about the Mongul one, and Killer Croc and Doomsday look good.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BR_Havoc

@laserlambert: Have nothing against the idea of letting the villains shine for a month. Its the execution which I take an issue with many of these stories are bad they feel rushed or they miss the point of the character most notably is Harley Quinn art did not fit the dark tone and the writer just wrote a Joker story not a Harley one.

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why did they mess with Darkseid's origin? Why did Joker suck so bad?

I love how they seem to mess up the most iconic villains.

mk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ximpossibrux:

Well, to be fair, I think they've changed the origins of petty much all the villains in the Nu52 because they do' want comparisons with the original. And was Darkseid's new origin really so bad? Not much depth to it, but it could have been worse.

Avatar image for marionettegeist
Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ximpossibrux: I think DC's motto is "If people are gonna buy it either way, why bother?"

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ximpossibrux: I have no idea why they want people to feel bad for the Joker. He should be evil simply because he is none of this well his father beat him so it made him a monster. Not everyone that has a bad childhood grows up to kill people.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

I seem to have gotten lucky, as I only picked up two (Ventriloquist & Riddler) and both were, in my opinion, good. Most of the others I was interested in I was lucky enough not to actually pick up, and invariably read terrible reviews of them later in the day (especially HQ).

mk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc:

You know, that's part of why I didn't like the new Thanos series. It felt like too much of a pity-party.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 the_stegman  Moderator

@br_havoc said:

@the_stegman: In my opinion Lobo has been the worst of the month the story was just pointless and how the dialog and narration was done just got annoying . With the Sorry not sorry.

I just finished reading the best issue I have read so far in Killer Frost that book had a purpose and gave some insight into the villain it was not just random crap or a stupid story of them killing people for no reason like Harley and Ivy. All and all I give that one a 7 out of 10

What are you talking about? Lobo had a point, it set up the future "Real Lobo" story arc. I will admit, the writing was pretty blah, and that Sorry, not sorry thing was a lame catchphrase. But it did what it set out to do, give us the ''real Lobo'' and his motives.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

Most of it's been "meh" not really bad.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mk111: I agree with you on that. Some people are evil because they were born evil

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: That main Lobo "future" story line was tossed in on the last page other than that the whole comic was pointless. Plus how lame is that how is it possible a much older looking Lobo is the fake one but this 22 year old martini drinking hipster is the real one? It just does not make sense and his appearance in Supergirl is not going to flush out this doppleganger story line.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_stegman  Moderator

@br_havoc said:

@the_stegman: That main Lobo "future" story line was tossed in on the last page other than that the whole comic was pointless. Plus how lame is that how is it possible a much older looking Lobo is the fake one but this 22 year old martini drinking hipster is the real one? It just does not make sense and his appearance in Supergirl is not going to flush out this doppleganger story line.

Well, Lobo is a bounty hunter, he was going on a bounty, that's how many Lobo stories go, and like most comics, the last two pages was the pay off for the stor. Whether or not you like the idea of their being a fake Lobo or not doesn't change the fact that this comic was important in establishing it. I think you just don't like the ''new'' Lobo idea, which is understandable, and are taking it out on this single issue.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: True I really dislike this new Lobo he looks like a Hugh Jackman Wolverine ripoff and I just felt the whole issue was bad. I guess I feel the future storyline it sets up is not going to ever go anywhere.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@br_havoc said:

@the_stegman: True I really dislike this new Lobo he looks like a Hugh Jackman Wolverine ripoff and I just felt the whole issue was bad. I guess I feel the future storyline it sets up is not going to ever go anywhere.

That's kinda funny actually, since Lobo was originally designed to be a parody of Wolverine, ha, but I'm hoping, probably in vain, that Lobo eventually gets an ongoing, cause the story feels too large to just be part of another character's book.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: I think that is the issue I have with the new Lobo he still looks and acts every bit of the parody that he is but DC is now telling us No! He is a serious killer you should fear. He still looks and acts like a joke.

I thought they needed a different story to show this new Lobo. One way they could of done it have this story had been a flashback story ending with the real Lobo drinking at a bar telling someone the tail. The idea that there has been another Lobo walking around for years is just silly and once again makes a farce out of the character that is supposed to be serious now.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@br_havoc said:

@the_stegman: I think that is the issue I have with the new Lobo he still looks and acts every bit of the parody that he is but DC is now telling us No! He is a serious killer you should fear. He still looks and acts like a joke.

I thought they needed a different story to show this new Lobo. One way they could of done it have this story had been a flashback story ending with the real Lobo drinking at a bar telling someone the tail. The idea that there has been another Lobo walking around for years is just silly and once again makes a farce out of the character that is supposed to be serious now.

Didn't they kinda do that before the New 52 thought? I'm not a huge Lobo follower, but wasn't the TRUE Lobo in Hell, and there was a clone of his going around while it happened? I could be wrong though.

Mulder15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mulder15

Joker's is immensly underrated. Harley's sucked ass. Deadshot's was great. Creeper's sounds like it sucked. Lex's was really good. Grundy's had issues but was overall good. Freeze's was really bad. Ivy's was overall good and I really liked Zod's. Lobo's was excellent IMHO.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BR_Havoc

@the_stegman: They did do the Lobo in Hell storyline but he can clone himself by spilling a drop of blood so I wonder if this story is something like that?

I think I am just getting tired of hearing writers like Lemire and Beard said that Lobo was one dimensional and it hindered storylines. There is no such things as a one dimensional character only one dimensional writers.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 the_stegman  Moderator

@br_havoc said:

@the_stegman: They did do the Lobo in Hell storyline but he can clone himself by spilling a drop of blood so I wonder if this story is something like that?

I think I am just getting tired of hearing writers like Lemire and Beard said that Lobo was one dimensional and it hindered storylines. There is no such things as a one dimensional character only one dimensional writers.

Lobo was in no way one dimensional, he was a great character and could have plenty done with him. Look what Marvel does with Deadpool, he's essentially a parody character as well, yet he has had quite a few ongoings and is one of the most popular ''heroes'' they have. Lobo can be done justice, people need to just stop making excuses and try a little bit.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been told that the good ones were

• Two Face
  • Deadshot
  • Reverse Flash
  • The Rogues

Maybe some others, but everyone seems to have good things to say about those.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BR_Havoc

@the_stegman: I agree with you and in all honesty that is why I am so mad still about the new Lobo DC was so lazy they had the nerve to blame the character not their "crack" team of writers. There was no reason to get rid of the old Lobo because he had plenty of stories to tell.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Only one I've read was Trigon and I think it was above average (probably thanks to it being Wolfman doing the writing of a character he created). The big red demon didn't have his old origins trashed (what little there was of it) and what was added only made things better. And when I say better, I mean it makes sense. There is now a reason for why he does what he does, and why Earth is a place he wants.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BR_Havoc

@thetruebarryallen: I am going to check out Two Face. I did not like Deadshot his new origin is pulled from so many action movies that it just makes it forgettable

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Bierschneeman

@br_havoc based on your list,

Harley Quinn, Deadshot, The Creeper, Lobo, Lex Luthor, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Grundy, Zod and Joker

you have bad luck picking titles, from what I have read of other people's opinions, you picked up only bad, ok and slightly good ones.... you seem to have skipped ALL the favs of the month...

heres some I have heard great things of, repeatedly (though not read yet); Two-Face, Rogues, Count Vertigo, Riddler, Black Manta, reverse flash

there are some others, that i have heard nothing but good, but thats out of only one or two people.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gold covered crap is still crap like most of these Villains books.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bierschneeman: I had to preorder these months ago to attempt to get 3d covers (Only got a few) so I was going on villains I liked. So far my favorite of the month has been Killer Frost other then that they have been disappointments.

I did buy a digital Black Manta and did not find it to be anything special I still can not believe how poorly drawn King Shark was in that issue.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

Lol glad I didn't buy into this DC gimmick. Even the covers were copy and paste. Such laziness. That should have tipped people off from the get go. That or those stupid holographic covers lol.

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of the ones I've read I'd say Riddler, The Rogues and Arcane are the best

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like people have said, there's been good ones and bad ones, and from what I bought there has been only a few that I actually regret buying. Others I thought where mediocre.

But, all-in-all I'm actually liking Villain's Month so far.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed.

TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc said:

@thefirstlantern: Can you list some of the good ones?

Black Manta, Grodd, Rogues, Arcane, Count Vertigo, and Relic. Don't forget Cheetah, and I would pick up First Born Next week.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefirstlantern: First Born was a must have I know it will be great because its part of the Wonder Woman series.

TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc said:

@thefirstlantern: First Born was a must have I know it will be great because its part of the Wonder Woman series.

Yup. I really don't doubt its linked to the current arc.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: Haha glad I am not the only one that thinks its been terrible.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#45  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

I haven't enjoyed most of the ones I've picked up so far but then again I've only bought and read six of them. I've heard a lot of good things about a couple of them, mainly Zod.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been told that the good ones were

• Two Face
  • Reverse Flash
  • The Rogues

Maybe some others, but everyone seems to have good things to say about those.

This.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I didn't think Joker was too bad. I really liked Riddler.

My comic shop sold out of Two-Face before I could get my hands on it unfortunately.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the only one I've really enjoyed so far has been Killer Frost...the issue really did a good job of making you feel bad for her...but...the fact that Killer Frost has been the best Villains Month book so far is just plain sad....DC has an amazing amount of just plain awesome villains and this month should have had a ton of really great stories that really delved into the characters but instead we've got just plain mediocre books...I've had more trouble forcing myself to get interested in some of them just so I can read them....right now I've got 10 books sitting on my desk that I haven't read from this month and all of them are DC...sad

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only read Zod and Darkseid. Both were fantastic although Darkseid did feel a tad rushed and all over the place it was still good. I hope Doomsday, Black Adam and Secret Society are good though.

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still better than Zero Month imo, the amount of crap that came out of that one was astonishing.