Veshark Rants: On Being A Superhero Comic Fan

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Veshark

DISCLAIMER: There's a good chancethis won't make sense once I finish; it's more of a stream-of-consciousness rant of some recent thoughts rather than any coherent piece of writing, so if this amounts/devolves to delusional bullsh*t at the end, I apologize for wasting your time.

No Caption Provided

I remember reading All-Star Superman when I was around 15 (or 16, perhaps), and honestly that book changed my worldview. It sounds a little silly saying it out loud, but picking up that comic and watching the Smallville television show actually made me want to be a better person. I'd never understood the character of Superman before that comic. To me, and the values that I'd formed growing up, being a kindhearted and caring human being was an optional goal at best, a liability at worst. I was a teenager with a very pragmatic and utilitarian mentality (which seems almost contradictory for a comic-book fan in retrospect) - looking out for others came second to self-survival and being a profitable member of society. 'Expect the worst from everything and everyone and you'll never be disappointed' could have been my life's adage then.

But reading All-Star Superman, the story of a good man who constantly believed that everyone has the potential to be good, it moved me in a very profound way. I don't want to go too entirely off-topic here, but to me, that's always been the ultimate message of the character of Superman to me. Compassion. Throughout All-Star, even when faced with his inevitable mortality, Superman selflessly and constantly believes that everyone (yes, even Luthor) has the potential to do good. From Bar-El & Lilo, to the Bizarros, to that single, insignificant girl about to take her own life - Superman cared for everyone. Like Mark Waid says in the second volume's intro; gods are powerful because people believe in them. Superman is powerful because he believes in us.

And that was what All-Star Superman essentially did for me. At a very formative age, a comic-book instilled in me some vague sense of moral values - inspired me in some way to be a better human being, a better man. Now the actual debate of what constitutes 'right and wrong' is a discussion best tabled for a later date, but for me personally, the book basically taught me that it's okay (and in fact one should be willing) to be the 'nice guy', to care for others, and to believe that things get better. It sounds lofty and high falutin' and naive, even as I say it, but the book truly did have a profound impact on the person I am today. There's a Morrison interview out there where the writer says something to the effect of (and feel free to read the following in a Scottish accent): "Superheroes are bullshit. Everyone knows they can't exist in real-life. That's something that even little kids know and yet adults struggle with the idea that superheroes aren't real. They don't have to be, they're not supposed to be. But even though the superhero isn't real, the emotions and beliefs that these ideas and characters conjure in us are real, and that's the power of fiction. We know Batman isn't real, but what Batman represents to us is."

In a sense, one could draw an analogy to superhero comic-books with religion. Whether or not the actual content is factual is not the point - but the positivity and ethics and faith that we derive from these stories are very real. And if that's what gets you through the day, then who am I to judge you for believing it? And if I'm being entirely frank, despite years of a Christian upbringing, a Midwestern corn-fed alien in blue-red tights made me want to be a better person moreso than the Bible did. I don't mean to be blasphemous, but I'm speaking from the heart for a moment here, so bear with me (Religion-debate-flame-war-nuts, you know where the exit is).

No Caption Provided

But I guess the larger question I'm trying to ask is: "Are superhero comics just plain entertainment, or can they be more for comic-book readers?" I'm not saying that these stories are life-guides to live your existence by. Putting aside quixotic idealism for a moment, realistically speaking, at the end of the day I do have enough self-awareness to acknowledge that these are just fantasy stories made by ordinary men and women who have bills to pay, to entertain masses and generate revenue. I get that. And no one's asinine enough to suggest that something like All-Star Batman or Ultimates 3 or Secret Crisis Civil Wars of Infinite Tie-Ins is going to generate anything more than bland eye-candy for some light afternoon reading.

But I don't think I'm the only one who has ever read a superhero comic-book, has become so enamored by the on-paper ideas, that it has influenced my very real and tangible life. For most readers I'd imagine that superhero comics are nothing more than a merry distraction, and for some perhaps they're fodder for creative inspiration or academic discussion, but to me it's been - on occasion - something deeper. There's no denying that the primary reason I read superhero comics is because they're cool and action-packed and fun.

But sometimes when I flip through Black Panther or Martian Manhunter - I can empathize with those characters' feelings of being a foreigner in America, of being torn between two cultures and not belonging to either. Or when I read Batman or Captain America, I admire and want to emulate the great lengths of courage and compassion that they have for random but still consequential innocent lives. Many a times I'll read a story where a superhero gets unfairly shitted on by some ungrateful member of the public, and still stand firm in his willingness for forgiveness and understanding. And I always go, "Damn, I wish I could be that big-hearted in real-life. The resolve that Aquaman had to not pimp-slap that fool across the state is something I want to strive for."

Fantastic and grand and fictional as their adventures may be, there's something fundamentally human and relatable about all these characters that have endured throughout the decades.

No Caption Provided

And I'd like to believe I'm not the only one in comicdom who feels this way. Now, I don't want to blanket my terms or paint broad strokes with my brush, but comic-book fans have a somewhat-stereotypical reputation in regards to their behavior. Not to reopen any worm-filled cans like Comic-Con harassment or whatever, but needless to say, we can be a difficult bunch at times. Just peruse through the topics on this forum alone, and I can guarantee you that you'll find a bad apple or two. I know this is universal across any form of fandom, but for a hobby that (mostly) involves reading about good people doing good things, we can be very unpleasant individuals.

Now again, no broad strokes here. Things get heated with any fandom, and it's only natural when people feel so passionately about the subject matter. But a lot of amateur psychoanalysts love to point to superhero comics as being some 'male power fantasy', and perhaps there is a sliver of truth to it, but I can't say it's ever been the case for me. No high horse here, but I genuinely have never been (even subconsciously) chasing after the superpowers or the domination or the adoration when I read the books...aside from the entertainment value, it's always been about the good traits to me. Even in more flawed and conflicted characters like Iron Man or Cyclops - I can still see admirable qualities, and these types of fallible heroes remind me that while all men and women stumble, it's the best of us that get right back up.

At this point in the rant I'm sort of petering out, and truth be told I'm not entirely sure what my original intentions even were, but if I leave you with anything I guess it's this: Am I the only one who feels this way? Yes superhero comics are fun, but does anyone else feel anything deeper when they read these stories? Does anyone else feel that we should not only be better fans but better people too? Is there a middle road between delusional naivete and cold, hard reality?

I don't know.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Good read, Veshark. Not a waste of time at all.

I agree with what you said. Comics have guided my ethics at times as well. The desire to be the good guy, to not fall short in courage, or will or morality in the face of the seemingly endless opposing waves of evil, or those who lack empathy.

Sometimes all that separates the good from the bad is the decision to be so.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Some comic book characters has made me a better person, too. Superman and Wonder Woman are the biggest ones. Superman and Wonder Woman has made me stand up to other people; to help other people, be nice to other people and so on. Batman's character made my morals about violence better as well.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Do some comics make me want to be a better person? Yeah of course. Do I actually try.......not so much.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

great blog

~MiB

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree and this a very good blog.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

This is a fantastic blog.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

I feel that way as well. It's like Morrison said: the characters aren't real, but what they represent is. If it's a hero, what they represent should be something that the reader values, but there are two components to it: striving for the ideal, and the ideal itself. Without the striving, the character has fully realized that ideal and is unassailable in his triumph, so the reader is left lacking an understanding of how it's relevant to the real world and how they can live in service to it (when the hero becomes too dominant). Without the ideal itself, the character could be striving for something that's irrelevant to or even abhored by the reader, even if he admires that character's drive (villains, anti-heroes). If neither is present, the character is just a mediocre individual, in both drive and belief. What can we learn then? There's no proposition left for how we should live our lives.

To me, Captain America has both. The ideals (legal rights, rule of law, duty to uphold, courage, honesty with oneself, humility, leadership...) are especially relevant to me, so it follows that the striving (military service, physical conflict, confronting moral dilemmas, drama, and all that which he is actually depicted as doing in the comic) is as well.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Good stuff

Avatar image for firestormfate1919
FirestormFate1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very well put. I agree, all the greatest comics should have the ability to inspire readers in real world scenarios to be better people. They should have the capacity to define and expand on the ethics of readers, and show them the benefits of acting in this positive manner.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean @captain_batman_ftw@allstarsuperman@madeinbangladesh@black_arrow@shadowswordmaster@darthmummy @lukehero @firestormfate1919

Thanks for commenting, folks. Nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way - truth be told, I wasn't entirely sure what I was trying to say, but judging from you guys' responses, at least I got the gist of my feelings across. I don't know, these are just some things I've been pondering over lately. I guess what initially triggered all this was a paradoxical thought, "If we're all (generally) reading about good men who do good things, why are so many of us @sshats?" Not saying the statement itself is true, or entirely accurate, but it does merit some food for thought, I think.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 SC  Moderator

Great stuff! I wish more users spent time and energy making threads/blogs like these!

I feel comics are an incredible medium with a lot of depth already and yet to come, and can impart much wisdom and ethical lessons. I think comics can definitely help us improve as people, well, I think a lot of art and life in general can, but I think the medium has a lot of unique potential and works well with human senses, and nature!

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By ComicStooge

Brilliant read. This needs to be featured.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Incredible blog. Quite inspirational, good work!

And I agree, that you get some values from comics and that they make you a better person. At least I have found myself being more hopeful when it comes to humanity's potential since I started reading Superman. Like every other medium, comics shape your view.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: You did fine. I think you hit the nail on the head on why many of us read comics and particularly those about guys who throw on colorful longjohns and punch badguys in the spleen.

@sc: This is indeed the most concise post I have ever seen you make. :P

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc @comicstooge@squalleon Thanks for commenting, guys. Again, (pleasantly) surprised at the response that this blog has gotten so far, I'm glad it made for interesting reading.

@risingbean Yeah, I'd like to think that most of us started reading comics for entertainment purposes, but stayed because we each (perhaps subconsciously) found something deeper in these stories and characters. And yes, that was also the most concise post I've ever seen SC make O_o

Would also appreciate your thoughts on this blog, RB

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

Stuff

@risingbean Yeah, I'd like to think that most of us started reading comics for entertainment purposes, but stayed because we each (perhaps subconsciously) found something deeper in these stories and characters. And yes, that was also the most concise post I've ever seen SC make O_o

Would also appreciate your thoughts on this blog, RB

I just commented there. Forgot to tag though. Damnit.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@veshark: Excellent blog, you put into words what I feel and think about comic books being more than just entertainment, they are something that go beyond that, at least for me, and apparently for many others as well.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great post.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad you enjoyed it. And yeah, I'm not sure what spurred me to write this blog but I just felt like venting. Also, yeah I've read that CBR article before, further proof that fiction and entertainment can really affect lives in a positive way, and especially so for superhero fiction because these are literally stories about good people doing great things.

Great post.

Thanks for commenting!