#1 Posted by MaccyD (4053 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprised there's nothing like this made already (only found one made for Bloodshot). Anyway, what are people enjoying at the moment? I'm currently reading Harbinger and Bloodshot up to Harbinger Wars (have a lot of Valiant stuff from comixology sales, keep forgetting to read them).

#2 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21865 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Eternal Warrior
  • Bloodshot and HARD Corps
  • Unity
  • XO manowar for the unity tie ins.

I liked Eternal Warrior so much i bought the old run of it.

#3 Posted by Binski (647 posts) - - Show Bio

I like harbinger, manowar, and eternal warrior the rest are alright to me

#4 Posted by JeanRalphio (1842 posts) - - Show Bio

Does no one know who Doc Solar is?

#5 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21865 posts) - - Show Bio

Does no one know who Doc Solar is?

yeah, he was in valiant before the reboot

#6 Posted by MaccyD (4053 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: You should read Archer and Armstrong for the Eternal Warriour bits.

#7 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21865 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd said:

@allstarsuperman: You should read Archer and Armstrong for the Eternal Warriour bits.

I plan on getting the wrath of Eternal Warrior trade, but i just dont find aram and archer interesting at all.

#8 Posted by Fallschirmjager (17492 posts) - - Show Bio
  • X-O Manowar
  • Unity
  • Shadowman
  • Harbinger
  • Bloodshot and HARD Corps

Valiant is awesome. Harbinger getting 3% of the vote in the best event of the year poll was bullsh*t

#9 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21865 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd said:

I plan on getting the wrath of Eternal Warrior trade, but i just dont find aram and archer interesting at all.

If Eternal Warrior only in that story, or is he in the entire series?

#10 Posted by sagejonathan (1955 posts) - - Show Bio

I read:

• X-O Manowar
  • Unity
  • Harbinger
  • Quantum & Woody

They are phenomenal and I wish I could buy all their titles if I had more money.

#11 Posted by Cap10nate (2299 posts) - - Show Bio

I currently pull all of their books. Harbinger and X-O Manowar have been my favorites from the start.

Unity and Eternal Warrior have started off great, and I expect big things from them.

The change to Bloodshot to include HARD Corps has been a nice surprise on a book that I think was good but had a few down issues.

Shadowman just got a new creative team which has taken an interesting turn. I was going to drop the title before the switch but will stick it out for a few arcs to see how it goes.

Archer & Armstrong and Quantum & Woody are two that I continue to have reservations about. They are both very good and well written stories but I'm not a huge fan of the humor in them. I like both of these books but might drop them in the future if I don't find them more to my liking.

I thought that Harbinger Wars was fantastic and the best event of 2013. I hope that Armor Hunters can build on that success. Valiant currently has the second most books on my pull list only behind Marvel. I am excited for what 2014 will bring for the publisher.

#12 Posted by Transformers1024 (1911 posts) - - Show Bio

Just started up with Valiant this week and love it. I bought the first trade of X-O Manowar and thought it was great. Then I bought issue one of Quantum and Woody, issue 4 of Harbinger and issue 10 of Blood shot and decided I'm going to buy those as trades. Or maybe just get all of the trades of all the series off of amazon since they're pretty cheap.

#13 Posted by MaccyD (4053 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: Think only in that story, don't really follow Armstrong and Archer so can't really judge, though it goes into detail on Gilad/Eternal Warriour's origin and earlier life with Armstrong etc.

#14 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21865 posts) - - Show Bio

Just started up with Valiant this week and love it. I bought the first trade of X-O Manowar and thought it was great. Then I bought issue one of Quantum and Woody, issue 4 of Harbinger and issue 10 of Blood shot and decided I'm going to buy those as trades. Or maybe just get all of the trades of all the series off of amazon since they're pretty cheap.

thats a good idea

#15 Edited by AllStarSuperman (21865 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd said:

@allstarsuperman: Think only in that story, don't really follow Armstrong and Archer so can't really judge, though it goes into detail on Gilad/Eternal Warriour's origin and earlier life with Armstrong etc.

cool, i was actually plan on getting it tomorrow, hopefully i like it.

#16 Posted by Transformers1024 (1911 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: Lol thanks! I found Bloodshot vol1 for 5.00. And the other two volumes for $4 each.

#17 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21865 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Al_capOWN (534 posts) - - Show Bio

is bloodshot a good read?

#19 Edited by Fallschirmjager (17492 posts) - - Show Bio

is bloodshot a good read?

If you like action/violence, yep.

#20 Posted by Transformers1024 (1911 posts) - - Show Bio

Just read 0,1-13 of Bloodshot online and loved it! I'm going to go out and buy the actual trades of it later. Then I'm going to start Bloodshot and the HARD Corps tonight. Also read the 5 issues of Quantum and Woody and decided I'm buying the trades of that as well. X-O Manowar exceeded my expectations and I can't wait to buy vol 2 and 3. I'm psyched to read Shadowman! I read issue one and loved it! Can't decide if I want to read Archer and Armstrong or Harbinger after that.

#21 Posted by Fallschirmjager (17492 posts) - - Show Bio

Just read 0,1-13 of Bloodshot online and loved it! I'm going to go out and buy the actual trades of it later. Then I'm going to start Bloodshot and the HARD Corps tonight. Also read the 5 issues of Quantum and Woody and decided I'm buying the trades of that as well. X-O Manowar exceeded my expectations and I can't wait to buy vol 2 and 3. I'm psyched to read Shadowman! I read issue one and loved it! Can't decide if I want to read Archer and Armstrong or Harbinger after that.

I'd recommend Harbinger and Harbinger Wars over Archer and Armstrong.

The former 2 are better (imo) and are more important to the Valiant universe overall right now.

I just recently decided to read AaA (cos I have an issue about saving money apparently) and although it was good, it wasn't as good. And as of now it doesn't have a *huge* crossover with the rest of Valiant, only incorporating Eternal Warrior really.

#22 Edited by Fallschirmjager (17492 posts) - - Show Bio

@cap10nate said:

I currently pull all of their books. Harbinger and X-O Manowar have been my favorites from the start.

Unity and Eternal Warrior have started off great, and I expect big things from them.

The change to Bloodshot to include HARD Corps has been a nice surprise on a book that I think was good but had a few down issues.

Shadowman just got a new creative team which has taken an interesting turn. I was going to drop the title before the switch but will stick it out for a few arcs to see how it goes.

Archer & Armstrong and Quantum & Woody are two that I continue to have reservations about. They are both very good and well written stories but I'm not a huge fan of the humor in them. I like both of these books but might drop them in the future if I don't find them more to my liking.

I thought that Harbinger Wars was fantastic and the best event of 2013. I hope that Armor Hunters can build on that success. Valiant currently has the second most books on my pull list only behind Marvel. I am excited for what 2014 will bring for the publisher.

I just recently picked up the couple I wasn't reading. Here's how I would rank them (not including Event titles like Harbinger Wars and Unity)

1. X-O Manowar
  2. Harbinger
  3. Bloodshot
  4. Shadowman
  5. Archer and Armstrong
  6. Eternal Warrior
  7. Quantum and Woody

I also agree that Archer and Armstrong and Quantum and Woody are nice books, but they don't necessarily blow me away. AnA is a nice adventure book with some comedy thrown in, but I feel like its missing something. Hard to say really.

Quantum and Woody...I mean I like it. But given its a comedy title...I don't find myself laughing nearly as often as I do with something like Sex Criminals for example. Its not bad by any means, but I don't know that I consider it great like the others.

Eternal Warrior too, is good, but I don't feel like its earned "great" status like X-O or Harbinger.

Personally I don't know why people think Shadowman is bad. I thoroughly enjoyed the mythos. If they can some how tie it in with the rest of Valiant (like most of their books) it would be excellent

#23 Posted by Cap10nate (2299 posts) - - Show Bio

@transformers1024:

I agree with @fallschirmjager. Harbinger and Harbinger Wars are fantastic. Harbinger is my favorite Valiant series and Harbinger Wars was my favorite event of the year amongst all publishers.

Shadowman was pretty good at the start but dipped in quality in my opinion pretty far. A new creative team has taken over and is making it pretty interesting by making it more of a Jeckyll/Hyde or Banner/Hulk type of characterization.

#24 Posted by Fallschirmjager (17492 posts) - - Show Bio

@cap10nate: I really don't think Shadowman dropped in quality. I thought the entire 11-12 issues or whatever up dealing with Darque were awesome.

It had 1 or 2 transition issues sure, but the new arc that just started looks promising

And the art on the last issue? My god.

More thoughts ^^ above :P

#25 Posted by Cap10nate (2299 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager:

I didn't enjoy it as much as you. I don't think it was horrible, but not as good as the other seies. I think the art really fits the book. I always prefer realistic art to the rough drawings, but it really fits the tone.

Unity is actually an ongoing title and not an event. I've been thinking about Eternal Warrior over the past week and I have to agree with you that it isn't great. I really like the character, but I realize that my favorite parts have been the Clayton Crain flashbacks in the book and not the stoy itself. I do hope it picks up some. I'll be interested to see how it is when they go into the future for the next arc.

I really want to look at future solicits but don't want to spoil what might happen at the end of this first arc of Unity.

I just got done reading the first 25 issues of the old Harbinger series and it was really good. The last couple issus are fantastic with a huge showdown between Harada and Peter. I was also pretty pleased to see that the new series isn't really re-hashing those stories at all. The basic elements are there with the same characters, but the story is completely different. I was afraid to read some of the older stories because I thought it would spoil some of current stories.

#26 Edited by Fallschirmjager (17492 posts) - - Show Bio

@cap10nate: To each his own I guess? I mean honestly I would say just about anything is nitpicking with any Valiant series right now. Some might not be great like the others, but they're all good - for sure.

Oh really? I thought Unity was just going to be an event mini-series like Harbinger Wars was :o

I'd put that near the top of the list though. The art has just been completely gorgeous and the story line is awesome.

I haven't yet a single issue of Old-Valiant. :3 I only checked out X-O Manowar on a whim this year and then got hooked.

#27 Edited by Cap10nate (2299 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager:

Comixolgy just had a huge sale on over 500 Valiant titles last week so I picked up those old Harbingers based on a recommendation. If you get the chance, check out those old Harbinger books.

I just started reading X-O this year as well. It was probably 10 issues in before I started reading it. Then I got antsy waiting for the next issue and bought all the issues of Harbinger. I saw that Harbinger Wars was coming out so I bought all the issues of Bloodshot. I picked the rest up when they had Comixology sales going for the first couple issues.

#28 Posted by Transformers1024 (1911 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: Quantum and Woody is definitely at the bottom of my list right now too. It's good...but something is missing. I can't figure out what it is though. It's also getting pretty political which is really taking the fun out of it all.

#29 Edited by Fallschirmjager (17492 posts) - - Show Bio

@transformers1024 said:

@fallschirmjager: Quantum and Woody is definitely at the bottom of my list right now too. It's good...but something is missing. I can't figure out what it is though. It's also getting pretty political which is really taking the fun out of it all.

Yeah I kind of feel the same. For something that hangs it hat on being funny, I really only laugh a couple times per issue.

Whereas something like Sex Criminals from Image, I'm laughing several times every time :P

Its not bad by any means though. Saying anything bad about any Valiant title is pretty much nitpicking tbh. And really if some of their other titles didn't continue to blow me away every month like X-O or Harbinger, I probably wouldn't say anything at all.

I'd like to see them incorporate some of their "second tier" titles into the main universe though. Qunatum and Woody and Shadowman need to meet some other characters or something.

#30 Posted by The Stegman (24384 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a question. I have room on my pull for ONE extra title, and I want it to be a Valiant, out of them all, which would you consider the best to add?

#31 Posted by Transformers1024 (1911 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: In my opinion I would say Bloodshot. It's action packed and all around a really fun book that always leaves you wanting more. A majority of people will say X-O Manowar and while it's extremely good I still prefer Bloodshot. It's a close second.

It all depends on what your into I guess though. This might help me recommend a title to you.. Do you want a comedy? A buddy cop team up? Sci-Fi? Insane action movie type book? Supernatural type book?

#32 Posted by The Stegman (24384 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: In my opinion I would say Bloodshot. It's action packed and all around a really fun book that always leaves you wanting more. A majority of people will say X-O Manowar and while it's extremely good I still prefer Bloodshot. It's a close second.

It all depends on what your into I guess though. This might help me recommend a title to you.. Do you want a comedy? A buddy cop team up? Sci-Fi? Insane action movie type book? Supernatural type book?

Didn't Bloodshot recently do a crossover with Harbinger? And as for genre, really doesn't matter, first and foremost is a good story.

#33 Posted by Transformers1024 (1911 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: I've been meaning to check out Sex Criminals. I have the first 3 issues on my ipad and I keep putting them off. The previews were really good so I know I won't be disappointed! Plus it has Fraction writing it. It's published by Image no to top it all off its a comedy. Can't wait!

I hope Quantum and Woody does something insanely cool for their next arc. I liked their origin story in vol 1. But this arc with the red neck hicks is lame. It's not as funny as the first arc. I absolutely HATE red neck hicks more than anything, so having to read about it isn't too great. Plus I'm taking Civics and Current World Problems in school so I hear enough about politics as is. Thankfully there's only one more issue to go before they start their new arc.

#34 Posted by Transformers1024 (1911 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Yes it did crossover. Harbinger Wars was amazing! If your looking for great story then it's going to be X-O Manowar or Bloodshot. Either one you go with you will NOT be disappointed. I think you should go for Bloodshot first. X-O kind of kicks off to a slow start but Bloodshot is all around action packed with extremely engaging stories.

#35 Posted by Fallschirmjager (17492 posts) - - Show Bio

@transformers1024: Its hilarious.

I agree with you 100%. Loved the origin arc...hick arc is a too over the top

#36 Edited by The Stegman (24384 posts) - - Show Bio

@transformers1024 said:

@the_stegman: Yes it did crossover. Harbinger Wars was amazing! If your looking for great story then it's going to be X-O Manowar or Bloodshot. Either one you go with you will NOT be disappointed. I think you should go for Bloodshot first. X-O kind of kicks off to a slow start but Bloodshot is all around action packed with extremely engaging stories.

I'll give them both a shot! I've been trying to branch out some, both DC and Marvel are leaving me a bit jaded. I've read some Manhattan Projects and East of West from Image..and tbh, neither really engaged me, so I'm moving on to Valiant, ha.

#38 Posted by Transformers1024 (1911 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: If your trying to branch out some then check out Saga! I can't recommend that series enough!!

Also as far as X-O and Bloodshot, here's two links to the first issues. (Yes it's completely legal, Katz sent me the links a while back ago) This might help you decide.

First issue of X-O: http://www.newsarama.com/15136-read-valiant-s-x-o-manowar-1-the-whole-damn-thing.html

Fist issue of Bloodshot: http://www.comicvine.com/articles/read-bloodshot-1-here-for-free/1100-147507/

#39 Posted by The Stegman (24384 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: If your trying to branch out some then check out Saga! I can't recommend that series enough!!

Also as far as X-O and Bloodshot, here's two links to the first issues. (Yes it's completely legal, Katz sent me the links a while back ago) This might help you decide.

First issue of X-O: http://www.newsarama.com/15136-read-valiant-s-x-o-manowar-1-the-whole-damn-thing.html

Fist issue of Bloodshot: http://www.comicvine.com/articles/read-bloodshot-1-here-for-free/1100-147507/

I'm reading Saga, and it is amazing.

And thanks! I was gonna go to my LCS tomorrow and browse through trades, but the links will definetely help!

#40 Edited by Fallschirmjager (17492 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Are you reading any of Valiant?

X-O Manowar is the best title IMO. He's also the center of the Valiant universe, currently.

#41 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21865 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a question. I have room on my pull for ONE extra title, and I want it to be a Valiant, out of them all, which would you consider the best to add?

Bloodshot and HARD Corps or Unity. I liked Eternal Warrior enough get the entire old run though.