Valiant and Sony are about to pop the superhero movie bubble

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

This is it. This is where the superhero movie bubble officially pops. We will come back here in 10 years and reminisce about the golden age of superhero movies and its abrupt end. These are properties that essentially no one has heard of outside of hardcore comic fans, and even then most comic fans dont read them Valiant comics account for less than 1% of all comic sales. I dont want to sound totally pessimistic, but unless they have absolutely amazing trailers, A list actors, and crazy good reviews the movies will likely flop. Even if they perform decently enough, they will at MAX reach Kick Ass box office level. These are not movies that will make too much more than 100 million at most.

Marvel and DC benefit from brand recognition. Even characters not many have heard of like the Guardians of the Galaxy did well because of that Marvel logo up front. Even the most hardcore fans should be able to admit that we are probably seeing too many superhero movies coming out in such a short amount of time over the next few years. Between DC/WB, Marvel, Foxs XMen and FF franchises, and Sonys Spider movies (because yes even though Spider-Man will be set in the MCU the solo films will still be made by Sony). Now we have to add another Sony franchise on top of that with Valiant. This is over-saturation if Ive ever seen it.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

While I also doubt that they will be successful I think your main concern (that no one cares about valiant) is exactly why it won't pop the superhero bubble. Directors and studios won't get worried and stop making superhero movies if the valiant movies fail because they don't give any shits about the valiant movies to begin with.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If.. If ever Valiant fails it wont affect the other studios because they don't care about that properties to begin with. Superhero movies will not be saturated because people has a choice whether or not they wanted to watch it. You should feel great that Valiant is starting its own universe that means the competition heats on, DC and Marvel and even Fox will be challenge to gave the fans and the movie goers the best possible movies (scripts).

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I be fine with that, movies are ultimately trivial in the long run, and they end up making unwanted changes to the comics, so I be fine with that.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

Sony knows these movies (if they happen) won't make a ton of money. That's not to say they can't be good though. It's the same thing that people said about GotG. I thought it was idiotic to think that just because the property was not well known that it wouldn't succeed. Audiences don't need to be familiar with something to be interested in seeing it.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By BeaconofStrength

I can't wait until the comic book movie fad dies.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Lol nope

TonyChu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MCU & DCU already has a solid & loyal fanbase. If they are going to have problems it would be only when they start to piss these fans, not because a less known comic book movie didn't performed as well as their big titles in box office. After all anytime Superhero movies were facing hard times it was due to crappy movies like Batman & Robin or Elektra rather something like Dredd not making as much money as DKR or Avengers.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony is shit though

at least get them Raid Crew of Blokampf

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

No genre in the history of film has ever died except the silent film (not even a real genre, just a description of the audio), the fact that they still make westerns despite very few people being interested should tell you the CBM (far more attractive in this day and age) is in a safer place than any other genre except maybe horror and rom-com.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: I addressed that Guardians of the Galaxy comparison. You cant really compare the 2. Marvel films had such an amazingly good reputation among movie goers at the time Guardians came out, it really wasnt as risky as some people like to think it was. Sure it was risky compared to anything else they had done before, but its nothing compared to the unknown valiant.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Making superhero movies is no different than making mindless action movies but cbm have more substance and a following it won't pop any bubble all movie box offices are going to be going up for a while imo

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No genre in the history of film has ever died except the silent film (not even a real genre, just a description of the audio), the fact that they still make westerns despite very few people being interested should tell you the CBM (far more attractive in this day and age) is in a safer place than any other genre except maybe horror and rom-com.

True, but I never said superhero movies were going to die out, just that the bubble would pop. That we wouldnt be seeing them anywhere near as much as we are now. Westerns is actually a very good comparison. They were absolutely everywhere over few years, and then after the market had enough of them they died out. Now we see maybe one or two big westerns every like 4 years.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

@noj: it doesn't matter though. GotG didn't need the marvel logo to suceed. It's basically a space heist. That isn't a risk at all.

Quite frankly, I would bet big money that the GA won't even know that these are comic book movies because they won't know what valiant is. It will be similar to 300.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

@noj said:
@black_wreath said:

True, but I never said superhero movies were going to die out, just that the bubble would pop. That we wouldnt be seeing them anywhere near as much as we are now. Westerns is actually a very good comparison. They were absolutely everywhere over few years, and then after the market had enough of them they died out. Now we see maybe one or two big westerns every like 4 years.

The bubble won't pop until something comes along to replace them. Maybe if they figure out how to make video game movies good that might be the next big thing but who knows.

Even if this golden age does end, history shows it will later be followed by an even better renaissance just like what happened with horror.