Unfortunate racist implications in the Thor movie?

Jade1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jade1977

For the most part, I really enjoyed Thor, but I was kind of disturbed by how it depicted all the Frost Giants as being evil. Loki was evil despite being raised as an Asgardian. So does imply that being evil is just in the nature of Frost Giants? I thin k in the sequel they should show at least one good Frost Giant.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

This isn't something specific to Thor, plenty of franchises depict an entire race to be evil. Orcs for example in Lord of the Rings.

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well after the genocide of frost giants on Earth, which was carried out by Thor, you kinda have to demonize them to avoid any sympathy. You wouldn't want any Norse countries to pay an holocaust fund to stop this from every happening again.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By fodigg

I'm not sure "racist" is the best way to describe hating on mythical creature baddies. Yes, you can use them as a metaphor for race issues, but if you look through that lens every time without prompting you'll start to see it everywhere simply because films need villains.

Which is not to say some villainous portrayals can't have problematic racial implications—they definitely can *cough*LotR*cough*—but for this? I don't see it.

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LaserLambert

I've always thought this about Decepticons, all decepticons are born evil because they are decepticons, they've had a few turn good, but the majority is still disturbing.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also it's hard to call them evil. What they do is not evil to them atleast, simply a way of life. They thrive on cold, so they want to make all worlds in their image. Not evil, just how they do things. For example, are Predators evil because they choose to hunt other living things? Not by most, because it is a part of their culture. We humans kill by the score. Sometimes out of boredom. Now WE are evil. Or atleast in comparison to both Frost Giants and Predators.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't consider Loki evil

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By tg1982

Also it's hard to call them evil. What they do is not evil to them atleast, simply a way of life.

This is true. I guess evil is really based on perception. The people and cultures that were invaded by the Vikings saw them as evil, but the Vikings were just doing what they've always done before.

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe

Stop looking for "racism" every where.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Are they actually said to be evil, or is it just that they're enemies of Asgard, and therefore in the 'evil' role?

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@tg1982 said:

@guardiandevil83 said:

Also it's hard to call them evil. What they do is not evil to them atleast, simply a way of life.

This is true. I guess evil is really based on perception. The people and cultures that were invaded by the Vikings saw them as evil, but the Vikings were just doing what they've always done before.

Also it's hard to call them evil. What they do is not evil to them atleast, simply a way of life. They thrive on cold, so they want to make all worlds in their image. Not evil, just how they do things. For example, are Predators evil because they choose to hunt other living things? Not by most, because it is a part of their culture. We humans kill by the score. Sometimes out of boredom. Now WE are evil. Or atleast in comparison to both Frost Giants and Predators.

I didn't consider Loki evil

these...in fact,I saw no racist implications whatsoever.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not all of them were 'evil'.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

@rustyroy said:

Not all of them were 'evil'.

This. That's why Odin was upset with Thor(besides Odin's not wanting another war of course). Thor hated them and just wanted to kill them. In the end Thor conquered this and Loki was the only one who had this. Thor ended up saving their lives.

Any "racist" connotation that people want or think they see is totally seen in negative light. In the end peace is all that is wanted...so...

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@v_scarlotte_rose: Their never said to be Evil. Monsters, Cowards, liars, ect. But never actually evil. Though it is heavily implied.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Veshark

It could just be the nature of their culture or upbringing. History tells us that many northern tribes who come from harsh and unforgiving environments often conquer their neighbors to seek better land (Ancient China, for instance) - it's not that much of a stretch to suggest that Frost Giants are the same, I mean look how depressing Jotunheim is.

NMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

most movies have some type of "bad guy's" apprentice, helper, or even minions. The directors of Thor needed an army so they casted a race as on, most directors do this, for example; despicable me, there were the yellow minions; Star Wars we had the clone troopers; stated in a previous comment was an example of the orcs in Lord of the Rings; the list goes on... But the answer is not some racial undertone but because its easier to cast a whole race instead of explaining why some people are bad and some aren't, it helps progress movies and books along faster with out a lot of explanation.

(fine print): this does not apply to all movies out there.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Logically if there were any good frost giants the evil ones would have killed them. Gangs and mafias are no different.

Oh and

No Caption Provided

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By PeppeyHare

Logically if there were any good frost giants the evil ones would have killed them. Gangs and mafias are no different.

Oh and

@cezar_thescribe said:

No Caption Provided

This

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. The frost giants should lodge a complaint immediately.