#1 Edited by ownagepants (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

ok so everyone knows about dc and marvel but i wanna know about some comic publishers who do good work but dont get the recogintion they deserve if possible use some titles they have released

#2 Posted by lightsout (1836 posts) - - Show Bio

There's Invincible on Image, the Kick-Ass books on Icon, Incorruptible & Irredeemable on Boom!. I've enjoyed all 4 of those books (as well as mini-series I've read from some of those companies).

#3 Edited by DoomDoomDoom (4211 posts) - - Show Bio

Boom!, Avatar, Dynamite, Fantagraphics are all good.

From what I hear though Valiant is killing it with everything they put out. I'm only reading Shadowman so I can't truly attest to it but I'm jumping on Eternal Warrior when it comes out tomorrow.

#4 Edited by lightsout (1836 posts) - - Show Bio

@doomdoomdoom: I've heard that as well. As soon as some of the titles (like Harbinger & Bloodshot) get deeper into their releases I plan on checking them out (so I don't just blow through them right away).

#5 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4211 posts) - - Show Bio

@doomdoomdoom: I've heard that as well. As soon as some of the titles (like Harbinger & Bloodshot) get deeper into their releases I plan on checking them out (so I don't just blow through them right away).

I know what you mean, I'll hold off on certain books once I get them and read them in huge chunks. Some books just read better that way.

#6 Posted by lightsout (1836 posts) - - Show Bio

@doomdoomdoom: I like everything better that way, lol. I got into reading comics with ones that were already over or near-over & once I caught up & started having to wait a month between issues, it was torture.

#7 Edited by DoomDoomDoom (4211 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, and Dark Horse, they just slipped my mind but they have quite a few good books at the moment.

#8 Edited by AllStarSuperman (22963 posts) - - Show Bio

@doomdoomdoom: I have shadow man 1. Is the rest of the series that good?

#9 Edited by ownagepants (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a bunch of new series to pick up now

#10 Edited by DoomDoomDoom (4211 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's been really good so far. It seems like after every arc they do one set in the past giving more back story to the main antagonist, Master Darque, which helps break things up a bit. The last two or three issues have slowed down a little bit but they are still good.

#11 Posted by Strider92 (16824 posts) - - Show Bio

Valiant is awesome. Every title they have on-going atm is just great.

#12 Posted by Deadgod (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

Top Shelf , IDW , Dynamite , Avatar , Boom , Valiant , Fantagraphics

#13 Posted by Xwraith (21371 posts) - - Show Bio

Valiant and IDW publish my favorite books.

#14 Posted by sagejonathan (2026 posts) - - Show Bio

This. X-O Manowar has sales of only like 14k maximum I think and that's their best selling book, which is depressing. This publisher is sooooooo goooooood and I don't understand why some people won't pick up even one issue of these books. Sure it's $4, but its worth it for at least one title.

#15 Edited by silent_bomber (2191 posts) - - Show Bio

Rebellion (Comics originally published by IPC)

Rebellion publishes only two comics, 2000AD, and Judge Dredd Megazine, but both have higher page counts than US comics, are anthologies (each issue carries multiple characters most of which cycle each few months) and 2000AD is weekly, so page count wise its about 8 US comics worth of material that includes 8 or 9 different characters each month.

2000AD was started in 1977 and has been running 36 years, whilst the Meg has been running since 1990.

The two comics together have carried over 200 different stories in their time, with some only lasting one storyline, whilst others have been cycling in and out of the comic from the early days till now, Dredd is a mainstay and has appeared in nearly every issue since 1977.

Characters who have been going for over 30 years to this day include -

Judge Dredd - A fascist futuristic law enforcer, Judge Jury, Executioner etc
Slaine - Kind of like Conan, but weirder and with a H. P Lovecraft horror bent

Strontium Dog - Kind of like Firefly, or a western version of X-Men set in space.

Rogue Trooper - Last surviving Test tube super soldier (the others were all killed in a trap set-up by a traitor)

ABC Warriors - A team of robots built for a war that ended 1000s of years ago, who have kooky human personalities.

Other major stories going since the 90s include -

Sinister Dexter - Two hired killers who constantly get embroiled in other people's problems, came out just after Pulp Fiction and is heavily inspired by it.
Button Man - Its like an urban version of the Hunger Games

Nikolai Dante was also awesome, but has permanently ended now

Film Adaptations -

There have been 3 films based on Dredd stories, two official ones, and one which only added the 2000AD name after they were sued, out of the three only the 2012 Dredd movie is particularly good, I find the other two are ok though.

There has also been a fan film Dredd made last year, which is also very good and not quite as cheap as you'd expect from a fan made movie (I've seen straight to DVD movies which looked cheaper).

The film is free to watch and the creators have uploaded it to Youtube themselves for everyone to see.

A Button Man film as been in development hell for the last few years, but hopefully will eventually come out (Nicolas Winding Refn of Drive fame is supposed to be directing it).

Games -

There have been tons, most recently though -

The Dredd game is supposed to be mediocre, I've heard good things about Rogue though.

There were a ton of others on Commodore 64 back in the 80s, and I think some mobile games.

My favourite stories are Judge Dredd and Nikolai Dante by quite some way, but I also like ABC Warriors and Strontium Dog a lot.

#16 Posted by Catsnlynne (1058 posts) - - Show Bio

I read Black Bat from Dynamite and Captain Midnight from Dark Horse. Both I think are very good.

#17 Posted by i_like_swords (17293 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I hear though Valiant is killing it

@deadgod said:

Top Shelf , IDW , Dynamite , Avatar , Boom , Valiant , Fantagraphics

@xwraith said:

Valiant and IDW publish my favorite books.

Yep, Valiant is awesome. Everyone buy Valiant!

#18 Edited by DoomDoomDoom (4211 posts) - - Show Bio

@silent_bomber: Awesome post. I took a chance on a Zombo trade a while back and I really enjoyed it. I rarely see 2000ad at any comic shop I go to but it's something I've always wanted to give an honest shot.

#19 Posted by ownagepants (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

I had never any heard of 2000 Ad before this

#20 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22963 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman said:

I think it's been really good so far. It seems like after every arc they do one set in the past giving more back story to the main antagonist, Master Darque, which helps break things up a bit. The last two or three issues have slowed down a little bit but they are still good.

oh ok. im really interested. i plan on getting it when it comes out in a delux hardcover of issues 1-14. like how XO manowar is coming out in November.

#21 Posted by silent_bomber (2191 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's some of the 80s computer games -

Nemesis the Warlock was one of the major 2000AD series back in the day (hence the game), but has since ended, it was about an alien freedom fighter/sorcerer fighting against the human race (the bane of all life in the galaxy as in the story we basically travel around committing genocide on all other alien races). It was generally pretty weird all in all.

Another two older fan favourites which have long since ended are Alan Moore's Halo Jones, and Grant Morrison's Zenith, Halo Jones I actually liked a lot, and would love Alan Moore to carry on (which, when taking into account his present fame is never going to happen), Zenith was pretty cool but I'm not as enamoured with it as some.

Halo Jones - Basically its about an average girl living in a dystopian future and how she manages to escape it, its bears some similarities to The Forever War if anyones read it.
Zenith - Grant Morrison's first big comic book work, its about a superhero who has no interest in helping people and is only in it for the fame, but gets dragged into danger by circumstance.

@silent_bomber: Awesome post. I took a chance on a Zombo trade a while back and I really enjoyed it. I rarely see 2000ad at any comic shop I go to but it's something I've always wanted to give an honest shot.

Yeah Zombo is pretty cool, I've only read the first trade but I liked it, quite quirky, that one's a fairly new character (2009 I believe), but from what I gather he's gone down well and is popular with readers, seems like he's going to get a lot of series'

The 2nd trade collection comes out next month I think.

Another fairly recent story I like a lot is Dan Abnett's Kingdom -

Kingdom - The world is overrun with Starship Troopers-style bugs, the human race genetically engineers humanoid dog soldiers to help, but it doesn't. After 100s of years of hiding and huddling in groups we regress, leaving the dogs instinctually fighting the bugs... its kind of hard to explain to be honest.