Follow

The New 52

Concept » The New 52 appears in 296 issues.

DC Comics' controversial 2011 reboot of its entire line of ongoing comic books following the universe altering event, Flashpoint. After Doomsday Clock, it was redefined as Earth-52.

Twilight of the 52

• 63 results
    Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

Edited By Trodorne

We are wrapping up the a full year of the new 52 in 12th issues for many, some not as lucky but still play a part of a story within the universe. Not everything was meant to last and we all knew this going in to the new 52 when we signed on. Things come and go in this new continuity....or is it? what if this is not a new continuity but still part of one SUPER large story arch that has been and slowly is still building to its climax. Maybe this is a sign of the end.. the end of super heroes as we know it.

No Caption Provided

I can hear it now, Troy you simpering sod what are you going on about? to which I reply: Its about Alan Moore people. Yes the man himself who left DC after the watchman and worked on Swamp Thing, Came to DC with a proposal, this proposal was to take place in the future, two decades after Crisis on Infinite Earths, Which would have be roughly around 2007 or 08. The idea was that a time bubble was created from the point of the golden age to 2010 we will say where time travel was not possible except by two people John Constantine and Rip Hunter. The story being a great disaster has hit all the super heroes and a tragic end comes to the future where much of it is destroyed from some unknown source. Governments have fallen and Super Heroes act as houses to govern the laws. which is the House of El or Steel, House of Thunder, House of Titans, House of Secrets..etc Its a monarchy type of society where people take care of the supers to gain order and safety from others. But as any other monarchy society things tend to go from bad to worse when there is only one governing body and its super powered. There comes a time of the Super Hero purge where most of all the villains are killed off by the super heroes to bring peace to the world.

So basically the end of this whole thing sets up for an absolute end of the super heroes of the DC universe. Now they would not do this. but I would imagine the end result that would be most desired for DC as they still want to make money on their comics is to revert the universe back to the way it was. But in the mean time lets look at the evidence.

House of Justice:

The House of Justice, built around the remains of the JLA’s old cavern headquarters, is the residence of the remains of the Justice League. These are the most important of the lesser House, along with the Titans. The lineup of the Justice League at the time of our story includes Captain Atom and the Blue Beetle, an Aqualad that has grown up to be the new Aquaman and a Wonder Girl who has taken on the mantle of Wonder Woman after Wonder Woman herself opted to become Superwoman upon marrying Superman.

No Caption Provided

The first thing that happens is that a bunch of the time-traveling heroes in DC Comics, such as Rip Hunter and the Legion of Superheroes, notice a Time Trapper plot that cuts off 1990 to 2010 from normal time travel. Some of them, investigating the problem, get stuck inside the time “fluke” created by the Time Trapper, so that they are forced to watch the Ragnarok take place, unable to return to their home times.

In LoSH #9 We see a time flux prevents the legion from going back into our current time, more than likely it was caused by Time Trapper and the Harvest from the Culling Storyline.
    In LoSH #9 We see a time flux prevents the legion from going back into our current time, more than likely it was caused by Time Trapper and the Harvest from the Culling Storyline.
    Even the Legion Lost series deals with time travelers who are stuck in the past. even though they went back home it was destroyed.
    Even the Legion Lost series deals with time travelers who are stuck in the past. even though they went back home it was destroyed.
    Booster Gold himself disappeared at the end of JLI when he realized he failed to prevent Supes and Wonder Woman from hooking up
    Booster Gold himself disappeared at the end of JLI when he realized he failed to prevent Supes and Wonder Woman from hooking up

With more and more evidence piling up on the connections between what Alan moore purposed to DC, and the actual events that are happening. They call this The New 52. when 52 was a loose translation of Alan Moores idea, so would the New part suggest this is a reinterpretation of that story?

Could it be that this whole thing be just a Super large crossover event that spans a couple of years? If so would things go back to the way it was? or will it stay in the new continuity destined to repeat itself as Alan Moore suggested? Ill leave that for you to decide here is a link to Twilight of the Super heroes.

http://www.hoboes.com/Comics/Twilight/

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By feebadger

Brilliant article and something i had noticed also. Am still chewing over the info, but great stuff.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By minigunman123

By far, the best and most enlightening thing I've ever read on this website.

I don't think I've ever followed anyone on here but I'm following you after reading this... This is excellent.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7
    deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Wow 0.0 That's..wow. Good job.

ILol I'm interested in seeing how their relationship causes so much damage.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Xanni15

Excellent article.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By sethysquare

Great speculation. But I think in an attempt to make DC more relavant to the real world, there wont be any cases where the universe is too far off from the real world. So chances are there wont be government collapsing unless it really happens in the real world.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

All I have to say is...I actually speculated about issues similar to this almost a year ago now when New 52 first came out. I honestly did. And it really is amazing to me that others now start to agree with the theories I put forth a year ago that parallel the ideas that this article talks about as well as your blog. Really great stuff man. I'm blown away.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By z3ro180

@Trodorne: awesome read dude

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jorgevy

since when monarchies always end up in failure? I think you meant absolute monarchies. (sorry for the smallest rant in the world, Monarchist here XD ) anywho,

crazy theory, I had thought about it, but would DC really go through all this trouble?

When i think about I say no, but then again, CB publishers do act crazy enough some times...

and crap, you just spoiled me the end of JLI Annual! I was trying to catch up on JLI so I could read it!!!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Lvenger

I'm sorry and this is not meant to offend but that's ridiculous. You've clasped at a few straws in the New 52 and assume they point to DC ripping off Alan Moore once again. Not event they'd do that. This is merely a conspiracy theory at best with no solid proof behind it. Why the hell would DC reboot the universe only to end it once again and reboot it? Makes about as much sense as this blog.

StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#10  Edited By StarKiller809

I feel like I've just discovered the meaning of the world after reading that. There are a lot of good points there that makes perfect sense. I think that this is probably something that will happen. I hope that it doesn't because I feel like I would be way to confused but if it does, at least it's no totally unexpected due to your article.  

Great job. 

mrtrickster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mrtrickster

there should be a story 
    it goes like Supes and WW hook-up, the whole freaking universe collapses

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Trodorne

@Jorgevy: Is it too late to say spoiler alert? sorry hehehe.

@Lvenger: Its okay if you disagree with this. this is all just a point of view. Another point I would like to bring up is that Pandora mentioned that THEY are trying to split up the heroes and take over. From what we have seen since the beginning is more and more aliens making attempts to take over the earth, The signal men, Daemonites. In the story purposed the world would be attacked by the House of Lanterns, where aliens would poise to attack the earth and take it over. I honestly don't expect everyone to agree with this blog, but the idea is to be open to possibilities within the universe itself.

And to everyone else thanks for the comments. But we will see more to come, if this is happening as told we could see this lasting quite a while.

Avatar image for underdogs_overboard
    UnderDogs_OverBoard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Trodorne: NICE ARTICLE!

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By the_tree

Well, I hope this isn't what happens. After reading the description for the story, it sounds pretty lame.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lvenger

@Trodorne said:

@Lvenger: Its okay if you disagree with this. this is all just a point of view. Another point I would like to bring up is that Pandora mentioned that THEY are trying to split up the heroes and take over. From what we have seen since the beginning is more and more aliens making attempts to take over the earth, The signal men, Daemonites. In the story purposed the world would be attacked by the House of Lanterns, where aliens would poise to attack the earth and take it over. I honestly don't expect everyone to agree with this blog, but the idea is to be open to possibilities within the universe itself.

And to everyone else thanks for the comments. But we will see more to come, if this is happening as told we could see this lasting quite a while.

It's nice when people disagree over the Internet that it doesn't turn into a flame war. I can see where you're coming from with the Daemonite infiltration crossing over into various titles. But if the seeds are sown for this Alan Moore story, why would they reboot the universe once again so soon after rebooting it in Flashpoint? That doesn't make much sense to me. Plus, if DC rip off Alan Moore's work, not only will they get a backlash from him but others as well who've spotted the similarities. It sounds like everything could go wrong if DC decided to do a Twilight of the Superheroes on the DCU.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jorgevy

@Lvenger said:

It sounds like everything could go wrong if DC decided to do a Twilight of the Superheroes on the DCU.

THIS THIS

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Trodorne

@Lvenger: I would not say it would be soon for this. Twilight of the super-heroes if they did it could take years down the road, establishing characters of this universe. Im fairly sure DC bought the rights to the story idea. cause they have done other loose ideas based off of twilight, Kingdom Come, 52. and its not the first time they like to piss off alan moore, i mean they are doing before the watchman.

And maybe it won't be a reboot. Maybe this could be one epic storyline to end the age of these super-heroes like Superman and Wonder Woman. Yeah there would be backlash of course but give them an iconic story death and most of it can be forgiven.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

Excellent theory, extraordinarily well thought out, and well written.

Though I have definitive proof that the New 52 wasn't planned.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lvenger

@Trodorne: Yes but Before Watchmen. The lesser of two evils. They're not following up on Watchmen, they're trying to make money off the backstory to these characters. Which is not something I approve of either and I haven't paid attention to Before Watchmen. And the continuity of the world of superheroes is what keeps DC and Marvel going. They can end it in alternate realities but not the main one. Killing off their entire world of superheroes is just purely wrong. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and others are iconic characters whose stories always add something new to the mythology. Ending it would usher in a tidal wave of backlash. Not even DC would risk that so soon after Flashpoint.

@Icarusflies: What proof would that be?

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

@Lvenger: At some point I'll write up a blog with the full info, but I'm just going to start with a few points to show that I'm not bluffing. These largely revolve around plot points that were cancelled/not followed up:

1. Booster Gold was supposed to remember the reboot. During Flashpoint, he met a girl who was supposed to be on the JLI...and was from the Flashpoint timeline. She was replaced by Godiva.

2. Stories set up by some of the MAIN New 52 writers were dropped at the last minute: E.G: Firestorm as incarnation of the Big Bang, and most everything else Blackest Night.

3. Most writers were NOT notified of the reboot: Brian Q. Millar, Keith Giffen, and others were simply told to end everything for Flashpoint, current stories be d@mned

4. WITHIN Flashpoint not all stories were followed up: the set up of S.H.A.Z.A.M, the Themiscarian (sp?)/Atlantian War, the introduction of characters such as the Canterbury Cricket and Penny, the role Element Woman was supposed to play, were largely pushed aside by the whole Reverse-Flash thing.

5. Speaking of the reverse Flash, Hot Pursuit was ignored.

6. I can't say for absolutely certain, but I believe the ORIGINAL promo for Flashpoint was something entirely different.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By the_tree

@Icarusflies: I always figured the relaunch was a rushed, not very well thought out mess. I was actually thinking about points 1 and 2 the other night, sort of how they just threw out everything that was set up at the end of Brightest Day, and the end of Booster's FP tie-in.

I'd love to see you do an in-depth blog about the topic. It'd be very interesting and eye-opening.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

@The_Tree: I know, right?

I'll be making the blog pretty soon, I just need to get all my evidence together (scan original Flashpoint teaser, get the covers, get the interviews, etc.), and get to work. :)

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AtPhantom

I like this theory quite a bit.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#24  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Icarusflies: You know whats strange, the Flashpoint Event was referenced back in Legion of Superheroes: The Choice 
    Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Trodorne

@Icarusflies: You may be right that the New 52 was not planned but plans can change over time. much goes the same for flashpoint but also thanks for your comment :)

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SandMan_

Alan Moore is gonna be pissed....more pissed.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SandMan_
    @Icarusflies: Makes me wonder...If DC does decide to do this...There's really no point whatsoever...This kind of story is more Elseworld material. Especially with the end. Almost every Superhero dies. Superman dies fighting and army of martian and GL. I really doubt DC will do this. They will probably do something similar.
    Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Trodorne

@The_Tree said:

@Icarusflies: I always figured the relaunch was a rushed, not very well thought out mess. I was actually thinking about points 1 and 2 the other night, sort of how they just threw out everything that was set up at the end of Brightest Day, and the end of Booster's FP tie-in.

I'd love to see you do an in-depth blog about the topic. It'd be very interesting and eye-opening.

You just reminded me of something from Brightest Day. Max Lords mission was to prevent the events of Kingdom Come. which he did by killing Magog. so whose to say you can get a story like that going and then cutting it off before the events happen.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lvenger

@Icarusflies: Interesting. Very peculiar. I'll be on the lookout for this blog of yours to get the full picture.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By RedQueen

Say it ain't so?!?

Seriously, this was an excellent and well thought out blog.I'm literally questioning the foundations of the comic books I read now. What if it's all a lie? What is real or isn't real? e.t.c. I kind of don't want it to happen, I'm stuck in this idealistic superhero world.....

Still, I don't think it will happen...though DC are concocting something huge. What it will be ...who knows?

Zdaybreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Zdaybreak

If it comes true...then thanks for preparing us for it.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Trodorne

@RedQueen: Its always good to question the comics that you read and not just take them for face value. im glad you enjoyed it as well.

:)

@Shotgun: of course there is no guarantee, look at Brightest Day, There was signs that alot of things from Kingdom Come was going to happen. Superman wanted to retire, Alan Scott was turning into a living lantern, Magog was going to be the next up and coming super hero... but all that changed with Max Lord and Brightest day event.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By htb106

@mrtrickster said:

there should be a story it goes like Supes and WW hook-up, the whole freaking universe collapses

Who says massive changes need explanations?

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By Jekylhyde14

Great blog! I posted a similar one a couple days later not knowing that you covered most of the same points so well here. To add to the issue, Twilight's Superboy is supposed to be a delinquent problem-child and you can definitely see those qualities in the New 52's Superboy. He's apathetic, arrogant and has little regard for human life or law. Also, notice how the Martian Manhunter is a big player with his own agenda in the New 52 much like the J'onn of Twilight of the Superheroes. These things could be coincidences but that's a lot of coincidence don't you think?

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Trodorne

@Jekylhyde14: You may be right. I just read Superboy #0 and he was set on the path to destruction whether he likes it or not. And i agree with the point of Martian Manhunter. It could be they are using the Idea of Twilight as a template to maybe expand the universe into a darker turn. Harvest has a deeper hand in this than I thought.

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By Jekylhyde14

@Trodorne said:

@Jekylhyde14: You may be right. I just read Superboy #0 and he was set on the path to destruction whether he likes it or not. And i agree with the point of Martian Manhunter. It could be they are using the Idea of Twilight as a template to maybe expand the universe into a darker turn. Harvest has a deeper hand in this than I thought.

This. It would surprise me if they turned out Twilight of the Superheroes note for note, but I think it's pretty clear from the Justice League International Annual that they're riffing off of it.

Harvest is an interesting piece to this puzzle. I'm beginning to see him as the new Stryfe considering the creators involved. He has a habit of launching into verbose monologues that hint to the fact that he knows things that other people don't. His hints in Superboy #0 definitely give one pause for thought considering the end of Twilight. Thanks for pointing him out to me in this context. It'll be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#37  Edited By turoksonofstone

Ha! The moore things change the moore DC sucks. HA! 52 was a not a reboot it was a revamp! lol oh DC you legendary character spoiling rascals what Idea will you steal next?? lol

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Trodorne

@turoksonofstone said:

Ha! The moore things change the moore DC sucks. HA! 52 was a not a reboot it was a revamp! lol oh DC you legendary character spoiling rascals what Idea will you steal next?? lol

LOL stop I can't take any MOORE! BWAHAHAHHAA

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By htb106

Interesting...

SiycoBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SiycoBat

Wait..wait. You mean Supers and WW hooking up is a bad thing?! AAAAWWWWW DAAMMNN!!! -snaps fingers- Thanks alot for ruining my dreams! :(

BigBDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BigBDawg

Anyone else suspecting Diana does some crap with Clark to make him less attached to humanity given she's like that right now in the New 52?

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Trodorne

@SiycoBat said:

Wait..wait. You mean Supers and WW hooking up is a bad thing?! AAAAWWWWW DAAMMNN!!! -snaps fingers- Thanks alot for ruining my dreams! :(

lol you could pretend like they did in Mallrats that Wonder Woman is the only one who can conceive superman's child.

@BigBDawg said:

Anyone else suspecting Diana does some crap with Clark to make him less attached to humanity given she's like that right now in the New 52?

I would not be surprised but they would be together out of the fact they share something in common but I would not be surprised if this new Diana makes him more war like and more prone to acting in rage.

Darth Paul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Darth Paul

If your theory turns out to be true, this is the most ballsy gimmick ever pulled to sell comics!

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By kid Apollo

i cant say as id like to see them re-reboot the DC universe again, but this would definitely make a great Elseworlds story. kinda like world of Days of the Future Past meets the territorial control of Old Man Logan

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By Amegashita

Great article and nicely supported information. In regards to my reaction, I'm honestly not surprised. Talking to Silkcuts about all things Alan Moore has more, or less, opened my eyes to how much of an influence The Man still has on DC Comics. Even though he stopped writing superhero stories.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By MrMazz

I would so rock to a Twilight of the Super Heroes story

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SandMan_

Wonder how Alan Moore would react?

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Trodorne

@SandMan_ said:

Wonder how Alan Moore would react?

Probably as we speak is stroking that big beard of his and plotting some parody of DC or going to make fun of super heroes... or he will straight up ignore it and continue his insane writing.

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49  Edited By Grey56

I feel as if I should offer the nicety of acknowledging the format of this blog. It's well put together, has visual appeal and obviously has some empirical air to it which would infer a layer of legitimacy. Lastly - thank you for the ongoing interest in the hobby and for seeking to enrich it as those of us here do. All that said - Moore is a jerk. Always has been and by all accounts of his interactions with the media, developers and fans will remain as such. I sincerely hope you did not write this as some pretense of praising him. More-over, the notion that DC/Time Warner (you know, the telecommunications giant) would literally write themselves out of business only to then hand Alan Moore a check for doing so (as he would have legal redress for not being so compensated for intellectual property expressed in any medium) is preposterous. The best scenario I can see for your theory getting play would be for the events of 52 to culminate in a mass extinction event whereby the heroes rid the world of the majority of evil that they may then seek out retirement. You inferred this. The only problem ? It's been done. See Alex Ross. And if for strange reason, this 52 experiment (according to your theory it follows) was then ret-conned it would allow for a calming of the waters and 'return to normalcy' if you will. If in fact that did happen - I would quit reading DC as I have quit reading Marvel in the wake of the NOW garbage that sits on shelves where I used to frequent. Lastly - I do hope that you are not a cape hater as Moore is. As he continues to berate his brick and mortar customers about this it only serves to further my ire over his apparent disdain for what has paid for his ivory tower of intellectual transcendence. My thanks.

Wolverine0628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By Wolverine0628

My mind has just been blown.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.