TV Constantine Wont Be Bisexual But "Might" Smoke

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

However, viewers aren't likely to see two elements from John Constantine's comic-book past: his bisexuality and or his smoking.

EW.com reports Cerone suggested that Constantine's relationships with men aren't critical to the character, saying, "In those comic books, John Constantine aged in real time. Within this tome of three decades [of comics] there might have been one or two issues where he's seen getting out of bed with a man. So [maybe] 20 years from now? But there are no immediate plans."

As for the smokes, which director Neil Marshall earlier said don't appear in the pilot? "He is a smoker in the show," Goyer said, "we're not shying away from it, but we're not glorifying it."

When pressed, Cerone responded, "That's a question you probably should ask the network afterward, but they're beholden to broadcast standards. So we get it. We know the universe that we're existing within and, trust me, we heard pitches from all different camps -- 'Let's give him a patch' or 'he eats a lot of gum.' [...] It's like, look, he's a smoker. We're on network television, so we're limited to what we can do and what we can show. But within that framework we're going to be very honest to the character … I believe Constantine has a very healthy sex life, we're not going to see that on TV either."

"Constantine" Adds Zed, Teases the Spectre, Talks Smoking, Bisexuality - Comic Book Resources

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I get them not showing that he's bi since most watching the show probably won't even know about that and it really isn't a big deal, but the smoking still seems silly. Constantine isn't exactly a role model as is and you can see somebody smoking just by walking outside. Additionally the show doesn't even seem to be aimed at children in the first place and things worse are most likely going to get shown if they want horror elements.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By JakeN7

I feel like the way he put it is incredibly dismissive, but I don't really disagree.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skit: @jaken7: Constantine is bisexual? Didn't know that..............

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

..forgive me OP, I flagged you by accident. =(

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Edgy.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Experio

Good idea.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Billy Batson

It's one of things that hasn't been really explored. There was an issue by a fill-in writer who wrote "an occasional boyfriend" caption and one arc later on but the whole thing was a con of John's so it's hard to go by that.

So bi-sexuality isn't really integral to the character but I do believe he would shag anyone.

BB

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

..forgive me OP, I flagged you by accident. =(

noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billy_batson said:

@those_eyes said:

It's one of things that hasn't been really explored. There was an issue by a fill-in writer who wrote "an occasional boyfriend" caption and one arc later on but the whole thing was a con of John's so it's hard to go by that.

So bi-sexuality isn't really integral to the character but I do believe he would shag anyone.

BB

Hasn't he also made a few comments about not caring how a partner associates themselves or something to that degree, but you're right it really isn't something all that important to him as a character. Especially when you take into consideration there really hasn't been any references to it in quite some time(at least that I know of), so it could have even been retconned.