Trying to think of a gift....

Reliantrocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Reliantrocket

My wife's birthday is coming up soon and since she is just starting to get into comics i figured that I would end up buying some. She is really into books with female leads and strong character development. If money were not an issue, what would be your suggestions. The last gift she got me was the entire "Age of Apocalypse" series, so It'll have to be something big. Thanks in advance.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#2  Edited By Joygirl

"Batwoman: Elegy" TPB.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By SoA

witchblade

wonder woman

jennifer blood

these are all good

Reliantrocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Reliantrocket

@Joygirl: Thanks, I'll definitely look into that. When I look at it on Amazon it pulls up several other Batwoman books. Would these be worth looking into as well?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Joygirl

Probably Hydrology and Drown the World? Those are trades from the current run, and yes, they are absolutely terrific. Has she read the 52 event?

Reliantrocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Reliantrocket

@SoA: Jennifer Blood definitely seems to be something she would get into. Thanks again for the ideas.

Reliantrocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Reliantrocket

@Joygirl: No she hasn't I'm afraid. She is just beginning to get into to comics and I haven't kept up with much since the late 90's. I guess I'm saying we're both a little out of touch with things lol.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Delphic

@Reliantrocket: Buy a red wig, get a heck of a lot of pale makeup, make a costume, and dress up as Batwoman yourself while giving her your gift. She'll probably get a really good laugh out of that. Making a woman laugh and smile is one of the greatest gifts in the world...besides Jewelry :P

As far as comics go:

I definitely recommend Wonder Woman's newest trade. If you can find old trades of Gotham City Sirens those are fantastic.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Joygirl

Gotham City Sirens is a good pick. I can also recommend anything starring Kate Kane.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By SoA

@Reliantrocket said:

@SoA: Jennifer Blood definitely seems to be something she would get into. Thanks again for the ideas.

you are very welcome , good luck!

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By impossibilly

I highly recommend Catwoman Vol. 1: Trail of the Catwomanby Ed Brubaker and Darwyn Cooke. Brubaker writes Selina as a smart, strong female lead without the T&A that usually typifies a Catwoman comic. And Darwyn Cooke's art is fantastic!

Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Bloodand Wonder Woman, Vol. 2: Gutsare both amazing. Azzarello and Chiang are producing the best Wonder Woman ever with this series. It's full of thrills, great action, and strong female heroes and villains.
Reliantrocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Reliantrocket

@Delphic: Lol. While agree that making her laugh would be great, she'd also be the type to blackmail me with photos for years afterward.

Judging from all of the stuff being mentioned that is completely new to me, i think I'll take the rest of the day to get myself caught up on things. (After ordering the gifts of course.)

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Reliantrocket:

@Joygirl said:

"Batwoman: Elegy" TPB.

@Joygirl said:

Probably Hydrology and Drown the World? Those are trades from the current run, and yes, they are absolutely terrific. Has she read the 52 event?

@Joygirl said:

Gotham City Sirens is a good pick. I can also recommend anything starring Kate Kane.

I agree with all of these statements. I would have said the same. There are four volumes of Gotham City Sirens, and Elegy, Hydrology and To Drown The World are the only Batwoman TPBs available.

I'd also recommend Captain Marvel: In Pursuit Of Flight. :)

Reliantrocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Reliantrocket

@impossibilly: Yeah, I've been slapping myself for not thinking of Catwoman as soon as she mentioned strong female lead. I have to admit that I've never4 really given Wonder Woman much of a chance. Seeing as how you're not the first to recommend it though, I'll have to look into it. Thanks. :)

duderkyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By duderkyle

Hellsing.

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By impossibilly

If your wife likes legal dramas and comedies, check out Dan Slott's She-Hulk Vol. 1: Single Green Female. This series was very well written and I think has some of Slott's funniest writing. It's a really fun book.

If she's a fan of sci-fi mysteries like Lost, I'd recommend buying her Morning Glories, Vol. 1: For a Better Future, Morning Glories, Vol. 2: All Will Be Freeand Morning Glories Volume 3: P.E. TP. It's a cool story set at a boarding school where nothing is what it seems.

And I can't believe I forgot to recommend Brian K. Vaughn's Saga, Vol. 1! This might be the best series on the stands right now.
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Billy Batson

@impossibilly said:

I highly recommend Catwoman Vol. 1: Trail of the Catwomanby Ed Brubaker and Darwyn Cooke. Brubaker writes Selina as a smart, strong female lead without the T&A that usually typifies a Catwoman comic. And Darwyn Cooke's art is fantastic!

Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Bloodand Wonder Woman, Vol. 2: Gutsare both amazing. Azzarello and Chiang are producing the best Wonder Woman ever with this series. It's full of thrills, great action, and strong female heroes and villains.

These and

• the rest of Brubaker's Catwoman
  • Madame Xanadu
  • Local
  • One Trick Rip-Off
  • Habibi
  • Runaways
  • Fables/Fairest
  • Sword of Sorcery
  • Terry Moore's Rachel Rising
  • Stephanie Brown's Batgirl series
  • Zatanna
  • Persepolis
  • The New York Five

BB

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By TDK_1997

@impossibilly said:

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By judasnixon
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
judasnixon