Trying to break into the 616 universe.

Rabblerouserkt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey there, I've been a very casual reader of Marvel for the last several years. I'd like to start reading a bit more, but want to try and find a good spot to hop into the mainstream universe. I understand that Earth-616 is considered cannon, but where is a good spot to pick up, as far as anthologies go? I read a good portion of the Civil War series as well as the World War Hulk stuff. The best I can tell from cruising the Amazon customer reviews, House of M might be good starting point. Any suggestions? Thanks.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd recommend having someone summarize the most recent events for you so you know where the universe and characters are at, then just jumping in headfirst. There really isn't a good jumping on point for 616 I'm afraid.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Agreed. Just spend some time on a wiki or find someone to sum things up for you and jump into whichever titles interest you.

You're not really missing much tbh. Most of Marvel's Events the past few years have been lackluster to my understanding

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: what does to your understanding mean? Have you read some of the events you're speaking on? Sounds like you're trying bad mouth Marvel not having read anything. That's like me speaking on the last few DC events not having read any of them.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: what does to your understanding mean? Have you read some of the events you're speaking on? Sounds like you're trying bad mouth Marvel not having read anything. That's like me speaking on the last few DC events not having read any of them.

I haven't read all of them, no. But the few I have read have been unimpressive. And people who's opinion I value didn't like them either.

No need to get defensive.

WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: not being defensive you're a DC guy, speak on DC things. You give good advice then throw in a snide comment at the end, for what? I respect a lot of people's opinions on this site but if I haven't read it I can't speak on it. I read a fair amount of both companies and if someone speaks on something ill buy it and check it out for myself.

You're not a Marvel guy and to tell someone they're wasting their time with something they're interested in because YOU don't like it is disingenuous at best.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@wavemotioncannon said:

@fallschirmjager: not being defensive you're a DC guy, speak on DC things. You give good advice then throw in a snide comment at the end, for what? I respect a lot of people's opinions on this site but if I haven't read it I can't speak on it. I read a fair amount of both companies and if someone speaks on something ill buy it and check it out for myself.

You're not a Marvel guy and to tell someone they're wasting their time with something they're interested in because YOU don't like it is disingenuous at best.

So now I'm a fanboy because I don't like what you like? How typical.

It wasn't a snide comment. It was my opinion. The Marvel events lately I've read havens' been good and the ones I haven't, I haven't heard good things about. Dunno whats wrong about that.

I read plenty of titles from both companies by the way. And I have read more Spider-Man books than any other character - and its not close. So I don't even know where you're getting this "You're a DC guy" crap.

I gave him my opinion of what I thought. Didn't know that was such a crime.

WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: I actually agree with you in the quality of SOME of the events because I read them and not use 2nd hand opinions. It's not my place to tell someone new somethings a waste of time and color their perspective. I let them check it out form their own opinion for themselves. What you like I might not and vice versa.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@wavemotioncannon said:

@fallschirmjager: I actually agree with you in the quality of SOME of the events because I read them and not use 2nd hand opinions. It's not my place to tell someone new somethings a waste of time and color their perspective. I let them check it out form their own opinion for themselves. What you like I might not and vice versa.

Voicing your opinion doesn't mean the other person can't form their own.

And I'm not going to recommend someone spend money on something I didn't care like and/or have heard bad things about from people who's opinions I respect. And I will recommend things I did enjoy or have heard good things about. I don't care which company prints it.

WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: agree to disagree then. I recommend stuff I've read and go from there. I don't care how much I respect someone's opinion, if they say something's sh!t I wanna see for myself that's it. I try not to make blanket statements off popular opinion.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hey there, I've been a very casual reader of Marvel for the last several years. I'd like to start reading a bit more, but want to try and find a good spot to hop into the mainstream universe. I understand that Earth-616 is considered cannon, but where is a good spot to pick up, as far as anthologies go? I read a good portion of the Civil War series as well as the World War Hulk stuff. The best I can tell from cruising the Amazon customer reviews, House of M might be good starting point. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hi there.

The way I see it is that there really isn't a jumping-on point for 616 Marvel. What there are - is that every character generally has a series that's great for new readers. My advice is that, try not to worry about where to start, but look into characters or stories that are interesting. The more you read, the more embedded in the universe you'll be, and eventually after a while, the pieces will fill themselves in. Don't worry so much about continuity for now, just look for good stories or characters you're interested in.

If you like X-Men, try out Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men Vol. 1-4

If you like Captain America, try Ed Brubaker's Captain America: Winter Soldier

If you want an event book with everyone, try Secret Wars.

So on, so forth. Let me know if you need more help.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@veshark said:

I wish Ed was still writing Cap. >.>

I miss Sharon ):

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@veshark said:

I wish Ed was still writing Cap. >.>

I miss Sharon ):

All good things must come to an end I suppose. Brubaker's run was kinda winding down by the end, though at least he got a fantastic epilogue with Winter Soldier.

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bflynn316

@veshark said:

@rabblerouserkt said:

Hi there.

The way I see it is that there really isn't a jumping-on point for 616 Marvel. What there are - is that every character generally has a series that's great for new readers. My advice is that, try not to worry about where to start, but look into characters or stories that are interesting. The more you read, the more embedded in the universe you'll be, and eventually after a while, the pieces will fill themselves in. Don't worry so much about continuity for now, just look for good stories or characters you're interested in.

If you like X-Men, try out Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men Vol. 1-4

If you want an event book with everyone, try Secret Wars.

So on, so forth. Let me know if you need more help.

This ^

Also, if you are planning on just getting into the modern stuff and you want a specific area to start at, I would suggest starting right after the fall of the old Avengers and the beginning of the New Avengers. You should look up stuff on all the previous years, especially Avengers: Disassembled, but the first book I would suggest reading would be New Avengers: Breakout.

Thats how I helped my friends who wanted to jump into the mainstream continuity but didn't want to read the old stuff and it worked for them. I know a fair bit about Marvel so feel free to PM me if you have any questions (cuz trust me my friends had tons) and good luck!

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@fallschirmjager: agree to disagree then. I recommend stuff I've read and go from there. I don't care how much I respect someone's opinion, if they say something's sh!t I wanna see for myself that's it. I try not to make blanket statements off popular opinion.

Hear, Hear.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read every issue marvel has ever printed starting in the 70's and work your way up

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"marvel guy" and "dc guy".....?

What....?

Rabblerouserkt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabblerouserkt: Thanks everyone for the input, especially Saren. Going to follow your list for a general idea of where to start.

Avatar image for themarvelfanboy
TheMarvelFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheMarvelFanboy

Civil War, Dark Reign, Siege, Avengers Vol.4 (The Heroic Age, Takes place right after the events of Siege)