#1 Edited by PCN24454 (454 posts) - - Show Bio

In a lot of places where there's a no-kill rule, torture and mind-raping is considered acceptable. What are comic book writers trying to tell people, that so long as you don't kill anyone, you can do whatever you want to anyone?

#2 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

No, they're telling a story.

#3 Edited by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

..What do you want?

This generation, sure. That's allowed.

Previous generation? Wonder Woman getting spanked in how many covers, and pretty much demeaning other female characters for the most part. Hell, pretty sure there were hints at Wonder Woman getting raped in some of them.

So yeah, I'll take the "torture and mind-raping.". Especially since that's telepathy and has been used in more than comic books. Also, since when was there a no-kill rule? Dick Grayson says "Howdy".

#4 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (10909 posts) - - Show Bio

If you kill villains, then there won't be any stories to tell.

#5 Posted by Aiden Cross (15557 posts) - - Show Bio

Because they want to use the characters again. And the whole 'revive character every year' gets boring fast.

#6 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

List examples.

#7 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't really think of any protagonist that torture people that aren't either a) antiheroes or b) having a crazy out of character moment.

#8 Posted by PCN24454 (454 posts) - - Show Bio

Because they want to use the characters again. And the whole 'revive character every year' gets boring fast.

It's not about killing. It's about torture. Isn't torture wrong too.

#9 Posted by JediXMan (29263 posts) - - Show Bio

Telepathic invasion is a very controversial aspect in comic books. It's one that the characters have discussed. It's end result vs free will. The X-Men comic books cover this very often.

As for torture, that's rarely "accepted." It is, again, more controversial. But not all characters have no-kill rules, and the ones that kill often torture, as well.

#10 Posted by RDClip (1110 posts) - - Show Bio

Define torture.

Some people might consider Batman and Nightwing's scare tactics as torture, but I don't. Torture is like Denzel Washington in Man on Fire, cutting off fingers and stuffing grenades in a guy's bum. I don't really think a character that is willing to cause severe permanent injury to a bad guy should have a no-kill rule. He's/she's already crossed a moral line, so they shouldn't take an ethical high ground of not killing. At that point, they stop being a hero and are at best antiheroes and at worst villians in the making.

Psychic intrusion is just passible for a hero to do. It's still fundamentally invasive and taking away from a person's right to privacy. It's still a practice that should be questioned in the story. Mind-raping (as in causing severe pain and discomfort) can be done, but should be presented as something very morally dubious and the character should be questioned for doing so.

#11 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't come across a situation where there's been a no-kill rule and torture in the books I've read. Is this to do with Batman, Superman - that sort of thing?

List examples.

Pretty much this.

#12 Edited by XImpossibruX (5152 posts) - - Show Bio
@pcn24454 said:

@aiden_cross said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

Nothing is technically wrong, it's all about context.

Example - Killing civilians, wrong.
Example - Killing evil beings to protect people, right.

Torturing horrendous criminals for information about their next plan, right.
Torturing for fun, wrong.

Raping anyone, wrong
Raping a rapist in jail, not pretty but he's getting what he deserves.

#13 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

Kill them and nothing is fixed

Torture them and they become your b!tch

In fiction nothing is wrong, everything is acceptable

#14 Edited by PCN24454 (454 posts) - - Show Bio

@pcn24454 said:

@aiden_cross said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

Nothing is technically wrong, it's all about context.

Example - Killing civilians, wrong.

Example - Killing evil beings to protect people, right.

Torturing horrendous criminals for information about their next plan, right.

Torturing for fun, wrong.

Raping anyone, wrong

Raping a rapist in jail, not pretty but he's getting what he deserves.

@nerx said:

Kill them and nothing is fixed

Torture them and they become your b!tch

In fiction nothing is wrong, everything is acceptable

I'd hate to be on your bad side.

#15 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@pcn24454: Its like playing the sims, I remove the ladder and make walls when they take a swim :)

#16 Edited by Reignmaker (2226 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@innervenom123 said:

List examples.

Pretty much this.

Not much of a thread/discussion without examples.

#17 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

#18 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

hot hot hot

#20 Edited by cameron83 (6499 posts) - - Show Bio

..What do you want?

This generation, sure. That's allowed.

Previous generation? Wonder Woman getting spanked in how many covers, and pretty much demeaning other female characters for the most part. Hell, pretty sure there were hints at Wonder Woman getting raped in some of them.

So yeah, I'll take the "torture and mind-raping.". Especially since that's telepathy and has been used in more than comic books. Also, since when was there a no-kill rule? Dick Grayson says "Howdy".

No, they're telling a story.

yeah,pretty much these.

I mean,are we really going to put a restriction on everything because someone wants to find themselves holier-than-thou (first time I actually said that)....they are telling a story,not writing subliminal texts to 8 year olds.I don't swing from f***ing buildings because I read a Spider-man comic.

And basically,I guess it's as long as you don't pass your place as something equal to or more than an executioner,then you can push whatever boundary when necessary.However,it's also about bringing justice to those who deserve it,some people also get judged on the severity in which they get just what they deserve,etc etc.

#21 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

#22 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17145 posts) - - Show Bio

torture in comics? TORTURE IN REAL LIFE IS SO MUCH BETTER!

#23 Posted by Captain_Superior_Blue (39 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see anything wrong with torture in comics, so long as its relevant to the story and isn't overly gratuitous. Sometimes it's far more effect for the artist to only subtly suggest gratuitous acts of violence and leave the rest up to the readers imagination, because I can imagine something far more twisted than an artist could possibly depict in a few panels.

#24 Posted by thespideyguy (2645 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by thespideyguy (2645 posts) - - Show Bio

It's art.