Topic for the true comic/manga reader/lovers

JuzaCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Questions

1. Would you stop reading a comic/manga if the main character dies? Even if the story is VERY good?

2. How much do cliches bother you?

3. How do you feel about OP characters? Are you more of a street leveler fan or does it not matter as long as the story and characters are really good?

I ask these questions because, I'm a writer myself, as a hobby, but have now enrolled in college specifically for this and whatever media may come along. I'm a peoples person and would like to flesh out the redundant things. Please leave your opinions.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Definitely not. If anything that would make me more interested in the story because it sets a precedent that anything can happen. There are no safe zones and just because a character is the protagonist doesn't guarantee they'd succeed.

2. They don't. The only time a cliche really bothers me is if there's a LOT of them concentrated in a single character/scene.

3. OP is relative. What may be overpowered in one story won't be in another. For example Superman is not overpowered because he deals with superhuman threats that can challenge him. Likewise Batman is not under powered because he is exactly as strong as he needs to be to deal with his villains. The idea of over or under powered comes from when there's a massive power discrepancy between a character and what the character needs to be able to achieve.

jeepeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jeepeh

1. No, I hate it when people use that logic. "Oh gosh! Kamina died! I can never watch Gurren Lagann again! Simon sucks!" *facepalm* Just no. It's the story, let's see where it goes.

2. Not much at all, really. At least I think. Especially things like "That female character is kind, that's so cliche and unrealistic." Confuses me to no end, what, having a kind love interest is bad now? Should all female characters be b****es? Or do they all need to be Sarah Conner? No.

3. There's no such thing as too OP. But there is such a thing as bad writing. Admit it, if Pre-Crisis Superman tackled Pre-Crisis Bizarro/Zod into space, with good story behind it, and proceeded to have a Galaxy shattering fight with them, you'd be entertained. Heck, TTGL and Grandzemboa were shooting Big Bangs'n'stuff at eachother, and that was awesome. Cheesy maybe, at times, but awesome.

@juzacloud Hope I helped. I'm writing multiple stories and fanfictions as well, I'll try to keep an eye on this thread to get an idea of what's good to do and what's not as well.

JuzaCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeepeh: @metaljimmor: thanks for the feedback guys/girls. I made this topic, not only for myself, but for others who enjoy writing etc.

Give the reader a pint of familiar, and a gallon of originality.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juzacloud:

No problem. I'm a writer myself and understand why you'd ask these sort of questions. The cliche one especially since people tend to exaggerate how bad cliches are. Truth is you'd have to jump through hoops to write a story without any cliches at all, and if you did your end product runs the risk of being uninteresting. It's much more important to use the cliches in such a way that they don't feel cliche.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

1. No, my favorite manga is Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, so I'm used to those kinds of things.

2. Depends on the cliche.

3. I don't care how strong the character(s) are, personally.

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Depends, if the supporting characters are really good and interesting on their own then it should be fine, but if said characters are pretty dull and/or annoying, it could be a problem.

2. If the Cliche is done in a way that is interesting and a sort of unique spin on it, then its fine, but if its a blatant cliche that every other series does and its been copied to the letter, then it can be pretty irritating

3. OP characters are fine as long as their are other characters that can match them or at least give them a good fight, a good mid-high tier fight is almost always cooler then a good street level fight.

Avatar image for thenaughtytitan
TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. If it was a dumb and unneeded death then maybe. But you say if the story was very good so that means the death would make sense. I would not stop reading, it would be dumb if I did.

2. Cliches can be good or bad. Sometimes they can bring a smile to your face and others they make you cringe. It depends on what the cliche is, how it is presented and how good the overall story is. I am into minor cliches sometimes but nothing that affects the overall story. Most of the time I don't mind, I read past them and even like them a lot of the time.

3. Depends on the character and story of course, if it is a well written character in a good book then of course I am going to read it. I am often more into street level though, a lot easier to relate to and generally better written in my experience. OP characters can lack personality in a lot of cases but it really just depends. I don't really care as long as it is written well.