Posted by inferiorego (28275 posts) - - Show Bio

The numbers from June are in! Diamond Comic Distributors has compiled the data from June and placed into awesome tables for math nerds, like us, to stare and enjoy. Let's get right down to the numbers.

Once again, Marvel takes the top spot out of the top comic book publishers. However, Valiant has jumped back onto the top ten with their own spot.

BATMAN and AMAZING SPIDER-MAN continue to take top spots on this list. DC took 5 of the top 10 spots, with Marvel at 4, and Image with 1.

AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE grabs the top trade paperback slot, and as always, Image has a firm grasp on this list, month after month.

Finally, here's how many books each publisher shipped this month.

How do they calculate this information? It all starts at the comic book shop.

Data for Diamond’s sales charts — which include the monthly market shares and all top product charts — are compiled by Diamond Comic Distributors from a universe of over 3,500 comic book specialty shops located in North America and around the world. The account base includes brick-and-mortar comic book specialty shops, Internet merchants, and other specialty stores.

Unit and dollars sales are calculated based upon orders invoiced and shipped to Diamond accounts during January to December 2013, which comprises initial pre-orders, advance reorders, and reorders, minus any copies that are received back from a title marked as returnable.

What are your thoughts on all these numbers? What's your predictions for this month?

#1 Edited by Blackice709 (997 posts) - - Show Bio

Team Marvel!

#2 Posted by Jphu8414 (3877 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman in the top 5, I am a very happy man

Harley Quinn also selling REALLY well, that's been a surprise for me

#3 Posted by Squalleon (4883 posts) - - Show Bio

Harley Quinn goes surprisingly well.
7 issues in and still a top seller.

#4 Posted by Nahuel (391 posts) - - Show Bio

Harley Quinn is the fourth most sold book?! Wow!

And Valiant seems to be gaining public attention, that's just so good!

#5 Edited by tparks (5386 posts) - - Show Bio

Impressive numbers for Image. I'm not surprised with books like Saga, Walking Dead, and Invincible though.

#6 Posted by derf_jenkins (433 posts) - - Show Bio

Valiant has had some amazing stuff going for the last couple years...glad to see them on here.

#7 Edited by UltimateSMfan (1506 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman in the top 5!! Yay!!! :D Harley Quinn doing so well, I hope DC recognises that.

#8 Posted by The Stegman (26004 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, go Harley!

#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35016 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah Valiant!

Also you can tell that DC is reacting to the high sales of Harley Quinn by the style of most of the recently announced books like Bat Girl and Gotham Academy which is nice to see

#10 Posted by Farkam (5275 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought people hated this rendition of harley.

#11 Posted by orangedrink888 (35 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay Image!

#12 Edited by TimeLordScience (1418 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam: who knows, maybe if anyone can save it Palmiotti and co. can? I haven't been reading it though.

#13 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (35016 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Edited by TimeLordScience (1418 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymousSave the quality of the book from the interpretation of Harley Quinn in the New 52. I'm talking about the early Suicide Squad stuff, thing with Deadshot, new origin.

#15 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting in that a month when neither DC or Marvel has any big "gimmicks" going, they are pretty darn even, with Marvel winning by small percentages. I think months like this accurately represent the comic buying public. Marvel is the top dog, but DC is right there to keep them honest.

#16 Edited by darkwingdan (190 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam: In her own book, she is much more like traditional the Harley. It's the Suicide Squad version most take exception to.

#17 Posted by Ultron345 (227 posts) - - Show Bio

People are really writing 'Team Marvel' and 'Yay image'. FFS this community

#18 Posted by Farkam (5275 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam: In her own book, she is much more like traditional the Harley. It's the Suicide Squad version most take exception to.

Oh I see.

#19 Posted by Wardishy (926 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy for Valiant. They get overlooked too much.

#20 Posted by 2cool4fun (1398 posts) - - Show Bio

Fuck yeah, DC is finally catching up!

Also, superman is in the top 10 again? I can't be happier :3

#21 Posted by noj (1090 posts) - - Show Bio

@manwhohaseverything: except thats not exactly true. Marvel has a big event going on that double ships while DC does not. The numbers would likely be slightly in DCs favor if not for Original Sin.

#22 Edited by JoshuaDBr (556 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphu8414:

Agreed. I'm so glad that Superman's selling so well.

#23 Posted by Krypton-115 (476 posts) - - Show Bio

No suprise with Batman, Original Sin made it twice but dropped in sales, still a top 10 spot for two event issues ain't bad.

#24 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (8030 posts) - - Show Bio

HARLEY QUIN Outselling Spider-man, Batman, Justice League and Superman......... wow nice but

#25 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (8030 posts) - - Show Bio

People are really writing 'Team Marvel' and 'Yay image'. FFS this community

#26 Edited by _ANDY_CAN (268 posts) - - Show Bio

DC comics sales and marketing department need to expand their market. Here in the UK it's really hard to find DC comic books.

#27 Posted by mje360 (112 posts) - - Show Bio

Harley Quinn selling that well? Rage! That means I will probably never see her return to her actual self, I guess everyone hated the original Arleen Sorkin Harley Quinn. Also, Superman is on there. Geoff Johns and John Romita Jr. did their job making Superman relevant again. And I'm surprised how well Amazing Spidey sold. I see some many comments made by people who want Dan and Humberto to leave the comic, I was convinced I was the only one enjoying the run.

#28 Posted by MannEffest (1305 posts) - - Show Bio

Harley in the top ten was an unexpected surprise, one that really made me happy :D Go Palmiotti and Connor! Looks like this title won't be canceled anytime soon!

#29 Edited by Superguy1591 (3911 posts) - - Show Bio

Down goes Unchained.

Superman #32 making it in the list just proves that big names on a Superman comic = huge sales, it's not that Snyder's snoresville story was captivating.

#30 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

It's crazy that Saga vol. 1 is still destroying in the charts after all this time. However, I'm not by any means saying it's not well deserved.

#31 Posted by The Lobster (1509 posts) - - Show Bio

It's odd how Marvel is making more bucks, but DC has most of the highest selling series.

#33 Posted by J_HickmanIsGod (321 posts) - - Show Bio

@wardishy said:

Happy for Valiant. They get overlooked too much.

finally made the list all by themselves. stoked on it!

they usually are part of the "Other/Misc" percentage, baby steps.

maybe one day...

#34 Posted by Deadgod (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

Great to see Superman in top 5 & Valiant doing well

#35 Posted by mogo1 (146 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_lobster_: I would guess because most of marvels books are 399 and dc are mostly 299

I'm surprised supes was so low. First issue of JRJr and Johns. I was super excited for this

Good to see valiant in there. I'm really enjoying Armor Hunters and XO so far. Any of those issues are really hard to find

#36 Posted by Winter_Kills (712 posts) - - Show Bio

Team Marvel!

Hear hear! And now that Marvel is putting out the Bucky Barnes: Winter Soldier ongoing in Oct., they're officially gonna be taking all my money.

#37 Posted by Spideysense44 (3562 posts) - - Show Bio

HARLEY QUIN Outselling Spider-man, Batman, Justice League and Superman......... wow nice but

This

#38 Posted by Ms-Lola (4426 posts) - - Show Bio

It's great seeing Image become more and more stronger.

#39 Posted by Surza7 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

really glad Harley Quinn is doing well. I really love that comic!

#40 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (1697 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_lobster_: Dc may have more books in the top 10 this month but usually marvel has more books on top 50, and there are some months were marvel has more books on top 10 and others that DC has more.

#41 Posted by HumanRocket (9349 posts) - - Show Bio

@madeinbangladesh said:

This

0.0 How? I thought the book was bad compared to other incarnations of her?

#42 Posted by GraniteSoldier (8933 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprised Valiant is being outsold by BOOM and Dynamite. What are their big selling titles? I thought Valiant was pretty big with books like Bloodshot, Archer and Armstrong, and the new Rai title.

#43 Posted by danhimself (22714 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj said:

@manwhohaseverything: except thats not exactly true. Marvel has a big event going on that double ships while DC does not. The numbers would likely be slightly in DCs favor if not for Original Sin.

DC also has two weeklies going on right now as well and the gap between Marvel and DC has been a steady thing for a while now so it's not just because of Original Sin...even when Forever Evil was happening there was still a gap of around 4%

#44 Posted by illmatic4177 (146 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj: Dude if you don't think Marvel is on top more often then not, you have not paying attention to these charts recently or for the last 20 year's .

#45 Posted by noj (1090 posts) - - Show Bio

@illmatic4177: I understand that comepletley. What I'm saying is that in this particular month DC MAYBE couldve come out on top if not for original sin. Thats all. Its not like theres NEVER been a month thats happened.