#1 Posted by Typhion (622 posts) - - Show Bio

So what are they people? We've had TONS of them in the last decade. Curious what people think.

For me:

1) Superman - This really kicked off the great comic book movies. I saw it on Encore the other day, and it still has those moments that make you smile. It came out a year before I was even born, and dated as it is, it's still fantastic. It paid homage to Clark's roots, showed the loss that shaped him, and was full of Superman just being Superman. Hackman was fantastic, even if Luthor was nowhere near the way I've always known Luthor to be. His wit and personality made him an acceptable substitute.

2) Batman Begins - Has there ever been a better executed origin story in comics? Nolan really did a fantastic job of capturing the heart of the character, even if he's never done well at showing the full personality of Gotham which has some much character itself, that neglecting it is truly a sin. He made Batman believable and helped the franchise atone for previous sins.

3) The Avengers - Did this one not make you feel like a kid again, with your comics sitting in front of you, sitting cross legged in front of the TV watching cartoons, bowl of cereal emptied and sitting to the side because you were so caught up with the action on screen and on the pages that you couldn't be bothered with getting up for the next hour? That's what I got from this movie. A renewal of sense of wonder, and a big smile and a sense of satisfaction at the end. Just the way I remembered it from so long ago.

4) The Dark Knight - The villain stole the show. Has there ever been another comic movie where that happened like it did here? Ledger was diabolical, chaotic, and yes...funny. If it weren't for Maggie Gylennhal (spelling?) this would have nearly been a perfect movie. Dark Knight really pushed comic movies into a realm they'd never gone into before, and gave them serious critical viability. It was a masterpiece. The issue I had was the brightness of it. Gotham seemed too clean, too new, too metropolis like, and for a long time fan, that's hard to forgive.

5) Iron Man - A popcorn flick for the ages. Fun, shiny, funny, and heartfelt all at once. Iron Man didn't try to get too deep, and that's just fine. What it did in the shallow end of the pool was only amaze us, make us laugh, and leave us wanting more. I don't think anyone has ever cast for a comic role as well as RDJ did.

Honorable Mentions: X-men First Class, Spider Man, Batman, X-2, Ghost Rider, Watchmen

THE WORST

5) Green Lantern - WHAT A FLOP. You took what might have been the most imposing comic villain ever put on the big screen and CGI'd him terribly, horribly distorted Hector Hammond's character, and cast him by whomever could scream most like a girl. On top of that you make the action of the movie about 15 minutes long and severely anti-climactic. This movie's real sin is total failure to seize on potential. With CGI as advanced as it is, with Hal as powerful as he could be, and Parallax as a villain, this one should have had HUGE action, and it utterly failed by showing us cute poses of RR. We don't care about RR DC. You failed.

4) X-Men The Last Stand. Class 5 mutant you say? Repressed personality that calls itself the Phoenix you say? I say BULL. The plot really wasn't bad, but it was SUCH an affront to the comics it's unforgivable. Halle Barry was absolutely LIFELESS as Storm. Cyclops being killed was ridiculous (even if Marsden was awful to begin with.) The awkward love between Logan and Jean while true to form was just too much. Logan was never a love struck puppy, and that's how he's portrayed here. Even Juggernaut was an affront.

3) Batman and Robin - I just hate Clooney (spelling again?) I also hate Alica Silverstone. You know a franchise is in trouble when you throw in 3 villains and 3 heroes. Bane was a incoherent oaf, Freeze as played by an incoherent oaf, and Ivy was the only character that wasn't completely terrible. Also, how much neon does it take before Gotham becomes Vegas? I'm pretty sure it crossed the line in that movie.

2) Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance. Here's what happens when the actor has so much outside personality that it can't be separated from the character. Your movie sucks even harder. That's what happened here. The plot was a tangled mess, the effects were a joke in this day and age, and the scene where Cage was flashing between rider and Johnny nearly made me puke in my popcorn bucket. Not one moment in that movie made me say man, the Rider's gonna abuse this guy. Not once. AND THAT'S WHY I WENT! I wanted to see the Rider abuse some evil doers. Instead I got Johnny trying his best to stay out of trouble. I should have stayed out of the theater.

1) Elektra - This one was SO bad I really lack words. Garner has always been terrible, but she dug down deep to discover a new and exciting type of terrible previously unheard of just for us. I'm glad she decided not to eat for the 5 months of filming so she'd fill out her physique and really convince us she was some sort of kicker of hind parts. That really worked. The effects were so bad I think they may have been clay-mation ala Gumby. The big sister type role also irked me. I've never walked out of a comic movie, but I really really came close there. Attention Marvel: if you want to make good movies, watch that movie, see what you did, and be extra super certain you never do any of that ever again.

Dishonorable mentions: Catwoman (this is so far from the DC franchise that it would have been number 1 worst if I thought for a second it had anything to do with the real catwoman), Hulk, Spiderman 3.

#2 Posted by menaceforever (3696 posts) - - Show Bio

No you can replace Elektra with Spider Man 3

#3 Posted by Spectre108 (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@menaceforever said:

I would say more like replace Elektra with Batman and Robin.

#4 Posted by menaceforever (3696 posts) - - Show Bio

True

#5 Posted by Zomboid (740 posts) - - Show Bio

1. The Dark Knight Rises

2. The Dark Knight

3. Batman Begins

4. Sin City

5. V for Vendetta or Superman (1978)

A list of the worst is hard for me to do because I purposely try to usually avoid the movies I've heard that are terrible. And everyone can rave about Avengers as much as they want, it's definitely not worthy of the top 5 to me. It was a good movie and I liked it, but it's possibly the most overrated movie of the year.

#6 Edited by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

1- Avengers - just a comic book movie like it is. It's basically if you grabbed a comic, used magic to make it come to life and bam! that's the Avengers

2 - Thor - Really cool movie showing the journey of a warrior to reclaim his nobility.

3 - Batman Begins - A cool start for what could have been a great trilogy, but lacked the more fantastical side of Batsy

4 - Amazing Spider-man - this is the reason we should never say reboots are stupid or too early. Fantastic retelling done the way it should have been the first time

5 - Green Lantern - I liked it. I know it sucked, mainly because it had two villains that were distant to their comic counterparts and too much info for just one movie. Despite this, I still liked it

HONORABLE MENTIONS: Captain America, Iron Man 1, X Men First Class (even though it wasn't the real First class)

Worst:

1 - Catwoman - Just terrible

2 - Batman and Robin - WTH

3 - Superman Returns - Didn't like it one bit

4 - X-men Origins Wolverine - yuuuck

5 - Spider-Man 3 - a okay trilogy that ended in crap due to too much stuff going on and more of the Crying Maguire

#7 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

how could you not mention blade??? that movie revived the comic book movie genre. and instead you use superman ? that pile of ... ugh.

#8 Posted by Typhion (622 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

how could you not mention blade??? that movie revived the comic book movie genre. and instead you use superman ? that pile of ... ugh.

Probably should have made it an honorable mention. I'd say Superman largely because it did what Blade also did. It kept things alive. I'd say Blade didn't do it as well as Supes because when Blade came out, public awareness was so low about him as a Marvel character that it didn't really raise awareness of comics in general. Vampire type flicks got a HUGE shot in the arse though. In some ways, you could thank Blade for Twilight too...and hence I can't give our half human half vamp friend the nod. I blame him in part for Twilight. I'd say the modern comic book revival is all on Spiderman's shoulders.

#9 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio
@Typhion: The juggernaut was the only likeable part of X3. xD
#10 Posted by Typhion (622 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Top 5 favorites:

1. Amazing Spider-Man
  2. Avengers
  3. Iron Man
  4. Captain America: The First avenger
  5. Thor

Top 5 worst:

1. Batman Gotham Knight
  2. All Star Superman
  3. Superman
  4. Daredevil
  5. Superman II

I love Cap, and Thor is my 3rd favorite character, but neither had the significance or acting to put them up there in my opinion. (Hemsworth is a GREAT Thor though.) Guess you loved the Amazing spider man a lil bit huh? I preferred the first incarnation prior to SM 3.

Didn't include animated releases myself, but Gotham Knight would definitely make that list. Hated the animation. Superman 2 wasn't bad...now Supes 3 was pretty dang bad. I actually liked Daredevil minus Jen Garner.

#11 Posted by sohanlon07 (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Top 5:

1. The Dark Knight

2. Avengers

3. Batman Begins

4. Superman

5. Iron Man

Bottom 5:

1. The Punisher: War Zone

2. Superman 3

3. GhostRider 2

4. GhostRider 1

5. Electra

#12 Edited by The_Tree (7054 posts) - - Show Bio

My top five best:

1. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
  2. The Avengers
  3. Sin City
  4. Iron Man
  5. Batman Begins

My top five worst:

1. Elektra
  2. Catwoman
  3. Batman Forever
  4. Hulk
  5. Green Lantern
#13 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@Typhion: you sicken me

#14 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

Some people like some stuff and some people other stuff, get over it....

#15 Posted by Typhion (622 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

@Typhion: you sicken me

Sorry to bring up an ugly truth, but you gotta admit, vampire movies in general got a lot of momentum from that movie. I'm not BLAMING Blade...but he helped. :) I've always wanted Twilight to end with Blade just roflstomping Bella and Eddie into ashes.

#16 Posted by JohnnyGat (1561 posts) - - Show Bio

My list is mostly the same with the exception of switching Begins in the best with Blade. Now quality wise Batman Begins is the superior movie however I have a strong soft spot for the comic book movie that gave life back to the comic book movie genre after the campy movie Batman films almost killed it.

#17 Posted by sohanlon07 (51 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL

#18 Edited by Typhion (622 posts) - - Show Bio

The door was opened. All I'm saying. Don't forget werewolves that fear shirts.

#19 Edited by Manchine (3859 posts) - - Show Bio

For the ones I have seen. Top 5 1) Iron Man 2) Spiderman Man II 3) Fantastic Four 4) Spider Man I 5) Superman Returns Bottom 5 1) Catwoman 2) Batman Begins 3) The Dark Knight 4) The Watchmen 5) XMen III

#20 Posted by thespideyguy (2645 posts) - - Show Bio

The absolute worst was nick fury agent of shield

#21 Posted by NewKid (358 posts) - - Show Bio

(that i've seen, i avoid most of the really terrible ones)

best.

Dark Knight

Watchmen

Avengers Assemble

Hellboy 2

Scott Pilgrim

(and Thor and batman begins)

worst. (no order)

daredevil

batman and robin

iron man 2

x-men 3

all the blades (they just don't do anything for me)

#22 Posted by Typhion (622 posts) - - Show Bio

@thespideyguy said:

The absolute worst was nick fury agent of shield

Whoa, forgot about that one. Let's not forget the campy Captain America of the 70's either.

#23 Posted by Typhion (622 posts) - - Show Bio

@Manchine said:

For the ones I have seen. Top 5 1) Iron Man 2) Spiderman Man II 3) Fantastic Four 4) Spider Man I 5) Superman Returns Bottom 5 1) Catwoman 2) Batman Begins 3) The Dark Knight 4) The Watchmen 5) XMen III

You chose IM 2 over Iron Man? Iron Man 2 just didn't do much for me. It had a bit more sentimentality and addresses some deeper issues, but it didn't do as well at doing what made the first movie a huge success. Fantastic Four was a much better movie than a lot of people gave it credit for being as well IMO. Superman Returns is also suprising. The love child angle is the one thing that kept that movie from getting an honorable mention on my list. Half your bottom 5 are really suprising. I'm guessing you REALLY don't like Batman, to make a bottom 5 and have those in there instead of Batman and Robin.

#24 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

Best (not ordered)

• Avengers
  • The Dark Night
  • Iron Man
  • Captain America: The First Avenger
  • Amazing Spider-Man

Worst (again, not ordered)

• Hulk (sadly)
  • Fantastic Four
  • Ghost Rider
  • Spider Man 3
  • Catwoman
#25 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (7611 posts) - - Show Bio

Best

1. Tie Between Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises (I cried at the end of Dark Knight Rises not just tearing up but full on bawling.)

2. The Avengers

3.Watchmen

4. Kick Ass

5. Batman Mask of Phantasm

Worst

1. Thor ( I loved it but it was so BAD)

2. Iron Man 2

3. Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance

4.CatWoman

5. Captain America 2 (It came out in like the seventies or 80's it was God Awful, like this plastic see through shield a helmut that was bobble head like.)

Honorable Mentions:

Iron Man

Batman Begins

Blade

X-Men Part 2'

Spiderman 2

Batman Dead End

UnHonorable Mentions:

Xmen Part 3

Wolverine Origins (x.x)

All of the Fantastic Fours including the way original

Spiderman 3

DareDevil

Elektra

Ghost Rider

Superman Returns.

#26 Edited by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

This is hard...

Top 5:

1) The Avengers

2) The Dark Knight

3) Thor

4) Iron Man

5) X-men First Class

Honourable mentions:The Amazing Spiderman/ X-men 2/ Superman

Bottom 5: (so, so many to choose from)

1) Batman & Robin

2) Catwoman

3) Green Lantern

4) Hulk

5) Spiderman 3

#27 Posted by ComicMan24 (147032 posts) - - Show Bio

In no order:

Best:

• X-Men 2
  • Blade 2
  • V for Vendetta
  • Hellboy 2
  • Batman Returns

Worst:

• Blade Trinity
  • Wolverine Origins
  • Batman and Robin
  • Ghost Rider
  • No idea
#28 Posted by mettlekm (417 posts) - - Show Bio

Best:

1- Avengers 2 - Batman - Dark Knight 3 - Daredevil (I liked it a lot, despite BA) 4- Batman Begins (good replay value) 5 - X-Men United (nightcrawler alone!)

Wost:

1- Superman Returns (the pacing was just sooo slow). 2 - Elektra (what what what?) 3- Judge Dredd 4- Superman A quest for Peace 5- Spawn

Most disappointing: Captain America (good movie, but could have done so much more with the character), Fantastic Four both, Spider-man 3 & Justice League: Doom.

#29 Edited by Vance Astro (91064 posts) - - Show Bio

Top 5 Best Comics Adaptation Films 
1.The Avengers 
2.Iron Man 2 
3.Sin City
4.Scott Pilgrim vs. the World 
5.The Crow 

Top 5 Worst 
1.Vampirella 
2.Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer 
3.Daredevil 
4.Ghost Rider 1 & 2 
5.Batman & Robin

#30 Posted by NerdsFTW (3732 posts) - - Show Bio

@menaceforever said:

This.

I didn't like Elektra.....at all.

#31 Posted by RazzaTazz (9450 posts) - - Show Bio
@menaceforever: Elektra had exactly one good moment, when Stick clears the entire pool table with one shot. 

"You don't need to call all of your shots, old man, just the first one" 
"That is my first shot"
#32 Edited by TheThe (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

Favorite : 1/ The Dark Knight 2/Watchmen 3/Batman Returns 4/Batman Begins 5/Constantine( this is bias. Constantine is not that good, but i really enjoyed this, i've seen the movie 3 times on big screen because i love angels and demons)

Worst : 1/Green Lantern 2/Green Lantern 3/Green Lantern 4/Green Lantern 5/Green Lantern

#33 Posted by The Poet (8288 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by TheBigRedCheese (372 posts) - - Show Bio

1. The Dark Knight

2. Spider-man 2

3. Batman Begins

4. Superman

5. Men in Black

Runner Up - American Splendor

Bottom

1. Catwoman

2. Elektra

3. Batman & Robin

4. Judge Dredd

5. Superman IV

Runner Up - Steel

#35 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

top 5.

1)the dark knight

2)the dark knight rises

3)xmen:first class

4)superman

5)captain america:the first avenger

worst not in order

iron man 2

xmen origins wolverine

ghost rider:spirit of vengeance

daredevil

xmen:last stand

#36 Edited by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. The Rocketeer
  2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
  3. Watchmen
  4. X-2
  5. Superman Returns

Honorary Mentions: Hulk (2003), The Punisher (2004) Iron Man, Thor, X-Men, and Captain America: The First Avenger

Bottom Five

1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III
  2. Batman & Robin
  3. Catwoman
  4. X-Men: The Last Stand
  5. Spider-Man 2

Honorary Mentions for worst: Iron Man 2, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II, and Elektra.

#37 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1781 posts) - - Show Bio

Well..keeping to only ones I've seen, and not counting animated films: 

5 Best: 

1. The Dark Knight 

2. Spider-man (2002) 

3. Dark Knight Rises 

4. Iron Man 

5. Captain America: The First Avenger. 

5 worst: 

1. X-Men Origins Wolverine 

2. Spider-man 3 

3. X-Men 3 (The Last Stand)

4. Superman 3 (see a pattern here?) 

5. Fantastic Four  (The 2004 one..I understand the earlier one was even worse, but I never saw it..nor did I see the Silver Surfer one.)

Batman Forever and Batman and Robin somehow escape this list, and they were horrible. I really hope Man of Steel is in the first list next year.

#38 Posted by Manchine (3859 posts) - - Show Bio

@Typhion #1 Iron man #2 is Spiderman II. Its not Iron Man II =p. Yes I am not a fan of Batman, at all. This text thing is really goofed up on Comicvine.

#39 Posted by Aero_gt (840 posts) - - Show Bio

1. ALL OF THE BATMAN MOVIES CREATED BY CHRISTOPHER NOLAN- PERFECT SPIN ON THE BATMAN LEAVES ME WANTING MORE.

2. WATCHMEN- PERFECT ADULT SUPERHERO MOVIE. LOVE THE CHARACTERS AND THEIR MORALS.

3. SIN CITY- GREAT LIST OF ACTORS, NICE SCENE AFTER SCENE, DARK MAKES IT ROCK.

4.V FOR VENDETTA- NEW TO ME, GREAT PLOT, GREAT BYRONIC HERO.

5. KICK ASS- IS FUNNY, REALISTIC AT TIMES, NEW AND ORIGINAL.

HONERABLE MENTIONS: IRONMAN ONE, IRONMAN 2, BLADE MOVIES, STAR TREK, CAPTAIN AMERICA, SCOTT PILGRIM VS THE WORLD, TRANSFORMERS, TMNT(OLD SCHOOL) BATMAN(OLD SCHOOL).

WORST MOVIES.

5. DARE DEVIL-BORING HERO, CRAPPY KING PIN

4. GREEN LANTERN- LOTTA CGI, FAILURE TO USE GOOD GL VILLIANS

.Y3. GHOST RIDER 1AND 2.- CAN'T TAKE MOVIE SERIOUSLY.

2.ELECKTRA- BORING HERO,BORING PLOT, CAN'T REMEMBER ANY GOOD PARTS OTHER THAN THE LES KISS.

1.HULK MOVIES- BORING BRUCE BANNER PARTS, RETARDED HULK PARTS THAT END IN LAME FINAL FIGHTS, INSULT TO MY INTELLIGEINCE.

DISHONORABLE MENTIONS.

PUNISHER MOVIES, THOR, CATWOMAN, STAR WARS, AVENGERS, 300, IMMORTALS.

#40 Posted by FearTheLiving (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

Favorite

1. Avengers (My favorite for good reason, after seeing a good line-up of movies to get to this and it didn't disappoint one bit)

2. Iron Man (If not for the greatness that was Avengers this would have been my top a movie I pretty much can watch constantly and never grow tired of)

3. Dark Knight (Though I don't think it was the greatest movie of all time it's for sure in my top and it's way better than that boring Batman Begins that seemed to draw on and on.)

4. Captain America (The time period, the action, the under dog story, loved it. Only thing I wish was that it was longer and they went more into their missions)

5. Thor, The Incredible Hulk, Punisher and Iron Man 2. Really any of them can go here as I loved different parts from all of them.

Worst

1. Wolverine Origins (Ruined Deadpool, cheesy CGI, didn't like Gambit, and overall movie was disappointing.)

2. Catwomen (Ugg besides seeing Berry's body this movie was awful.)

3. Hulk (Really slow and boring)

4. Punisher Warzone (Extremely cheesy and hated the guy who played Frank Castle, can't even finish this movie in one sitting.)

5. Watchmen (Didn't see the hype at all, liked the time it was set in and the grainy feeling but other than that nothing I really enjoyed or found memorable watched it once and that was enough.)

#41 Posted by justleader (1708 posts) - - Show Bio

Top 5:

1. Avengers

2. The dark knight

3. X-men last stand

4. Thor

5. Iron man 2

bottom 5:

1. Ghost rider 2

2. Daredevil

3. Spiderman (2002 movie)

4. Blade