• 57 results
#1 Posted by Hawkguy (585 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm looking to read more DC (don't tell Steve or Tony), so I'm curious what people would put in their top 10

#2 Posted by XImpossibruX (5267 posts) - - Show Bio

No order

Batman

Batman Dark Knight

Justice League

Superman Unchained

Teen Titans

Nightwing

Flash

#3 Edited by Hawkguy (585 posts) - - Show Bio

@ximpossibrux: I dislike Lobdell and I've heard teen titans has been tragically bad so far, have you enjoyed it?

Edit: My dislike for Lobdell is due to his Superman

#4 Posted by XImpossibruX (5267 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkguy: Yea Teen Titans is pretty good, and I've always been a fan of Tim Drake.

And even some Young Justice characters have appearances and roles, like Artemis.

#5 Edited by Hawkguy (585 posts) - - Show Bio

@ximpossibrux: I'll give it a shot, what's a good jumping on point?

#6 Posted by maxpower123 (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Animal man is what you want, trust me!

#7 Posted by lolzstastic (214 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkguy said:

@ximpossibrux: I'll give it a shot, what's a good jumping on point?

If you like great, good or even decent comics, you won't read it. Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, that's the kind of stuff you want.

#8 Edited by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

It's his opinion, but a lot of people (me included) think that Teen Titans is a terrible book. Sad, because I love Tim Drake. But definitely give it a try if you're interested and you like it.

10 awesome New 52 series I think of are:

Batman

Aquaman

Wonder Woman

The Flash

Animal Man

Green Arrow (starting from Lemire's run, issue 17-present)

Batman & Robin

Batwoman

Nightwing

Batgirl

#9 Edited by Hawkguy (585 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: The ones I dont currently read from your list are animal man, batwoman, nightwing and batgirl

Is animal man the btst of those? I want something.... Different. I've recently ventured into the magic side of DC and I love it.

#10 Posted by Hawkguy (585 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Edited by Icarusflies (12513 posts) - - Show Bio

Animal Man

Dial H (cancelled, but pretty much the absolute best)

Wonder Woman

Swamp Thing (Snyder's run only)

Batman

#12 Edited by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkguy: then you would love Animal Man. It's a great series, especially since you like the magic/dark side of DC. Out of those you haven't read, Animal Man is definitely the best

#13 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman

Batman and _

Green Lantern

Superman Unchained

Wonder Woman

Aquaman

The Flash

Animal Man

Swamp Thing

Green Arrow (Starting with 17)

#14 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkguy: Yes, Animal Man is amazing. I guess a good jumping-on point would be #19, right after the Rotworld crossover. Next month a new arc's starting, that may be a better jumping-on point. Swamp Thing is pretty good too, both Snyder's run and the current one. Same jumping-on point for this one.

You should also check out I, Vampire and Demon Knights, two series from the Dark group which were recently cancelled, but more importantly, they're both great.

#15 Posted by Hawkguy (585 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: awesome! I'm dropping avengers and new avengers post infinity so I'm looking for 3 new books to follow. I love Jeff lemire so animal man will be my 1 of 3 new books

#16 Edited by The Stegman (26114 posts) - - Show Bio

In no order

-Batman

-Batman/Superman

-Wonder Woman

-Green Lantern

-Flash

-Animal Man

-Superman Unchained

-Supergirl

-Green Arrow (17 and onward)

-JLA, JL, and JLD

#17 Edited by Hawkguy (585 posts) - - Show Bio

@smashbrawler: Damn well I guess I'll have to check out swamp thing now!

#18 Posted by Hawkguy (585 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Has Supergirl been good? I've noticed the scores have gotten better, moreso than other "super" books

#19 Posted by MarcosVergara14 (477 posts) - - Show Bio

No order

-JL

-Batman

-Flash

-The New Guardians

-Wonder Woman

-Nightwing

-Suicide Squad

-Green Arrow

-Aquaman

- Swamp Thing

#20 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not reading 10 dc titles right now, but my favorite is probably Batman/Superman currently even though it's only two issues in. Animal Man's trades have been fantastic too.

#21 Posted by Hawkguy (585 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Also, the one thing about GL that turns me off is the tie ins with the other titles. I feel like investing in one means having to invest in all of them

#22 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6545 posts) - - Show Bio

Batwoman is my favourite from the ones I've read(which isn't many). Justice League Dark has dropped in quality with each big writer change for me, and I'm thinking of maybe dropping it. Other people like it just fine, and some prefer the more recent ones I think. It must just vary from person to person.

#23 Posted by The Stegman (26114 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkguy: It's definitely picked up in the last few issues, around the time she teamed up with Powergirl.

#24 Edited by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkguy: Supergirl's not bad these days. The most recent issue was actually great. Her series is the second best Superbook behind Superman Unchained. But even there, it isn't a must read unless you're really interested in the character

#25 Posted by The Stegman (26114 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkguy said:

@the_stegman: Also, the one thing about GL that turns me off is the tie ins with the other titles. I feel like investing in one means having to invest in all of them

Yeah...the GL titles do tie in a bit, especially when they are heading toward an event, But honestly, you can probably read the main one without NEEDING the others.

#26 Posted by Hawkguy (585 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: I agree. After Lemire's first arc I think it's gotten worse with every issue. I'll give DeMatteis 3 issues to make me care but it's definitely on the drop list.

What's a good jumping on point for Batwoman? I've always been intrigued by it but the first issue was a bit... weird for me

#27 Posted by Hawkguy (585 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Yeah that's the path I'm trying to go by. Hopefully GL will be enough to keep me satisfied, if not I'lll just wait for a big hardcover containing it all, like H'el on Earth or Night of the Owls.

I like Hal Jordan, I just don't want to pay for 3 extra books in order to get the full story.

#28 Posted by The Stegman (26114 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkguy said:

@the_stegman: Yeah that's the path I'm trying to go by. Hopefully GL will be enough to keep me satisfied, if not I'lll just wait for a big hardcover containing it all, like H'el on Earth or Night of the Owls.

I like Hal Jordan, I just don't want to pay for 3 extra books in order to get the full story.

If it makes you feel better, GLC and New Guardians are good too, and Red Lanterns is getting better with the new writer.

#29 Edited by Hawkguy (585 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegmanWell, like I said, I'm dropping 2 titles (Avengers is bi-weekly so $3.99 each). It's a hard pick, I'm debating between the 4 GL titles or Animal Man, Swamp thing+ 2 other titles ($4 x 3= 12 = $3 x 4). So it's definitely a difficult choice.

#30 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6545 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkguy said:

@v_scarlotte_rose: I agree. After Lemire's first arc I think it's gotten worse with every issue. I'll give DeMatteis 3 issues to make me care but it's definitely on the drop list.

What's a good jumping on point for Batwoman? I've always been intrigued by it but the first issue was a bit... weird for me

The perfect jumping on point would be #18, as it's the start of this arc, and marks a change in direction, as the first 3 arcs kind of formed a trilogy. If #18 is too far back for you, then I'd suggest starting at #22. If you know the basics of what leads up to them then it'll probably make enough sense to follow. A big thing is supposed to be starting in the next issue, and #22 and #23 have been showing Batwoman and Hawkfire separately preparing for their missions. If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them. :)

So what was so weird about the first issue? And is that #1 or the original #0?

#31 Posted by Hawkguy (585 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: No sir, the #1 is what I'm referring to. Maybe it was the art? Maybe I was just tired. I can start from #18, money isn't really an issue, and my OCD is usually a big help/problem when it comes to buying back issues. I'll definitely check it out!

#32 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6545 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkguy said:

@v_scarlotte_rose: No sir, the #1 is what I'm referring to. Maybe it was the art? Maybe I was just tired. I can start from #18, money isn't really an issue, and my OCD is usually a big help/problem when it comes to buying back issues. I'll definitely check it out!

If the art was a problem(which surprises me a bit, as it usually gets high praise), then it won't be the same here, as it's currently Trevor McCarthy drawing, rather than J.H. Williams(who co-writes the series).

If money isn't really an issue, I'd perhaps recommend getting Batwoman: Elegy if you can stretch to it. It's pre-new 52, but her continuity wasn't changed so it's all still canon. It has important flashbacks to earlier points in her life, and shows why a certain character is such a big deal in this current arc. If you can't get that, the second #0, Interlude sums up the flashbacks and fills in a few gaps. It may not be essential to get into this arc, but I'd say it's a great place to start as a Batwoman reader. :)

By the way, I can't tell if you're addressing me as sir, or just using the phrase 'no sir', but I'm not male, so it doesn't quite work. Just thought I should say.

#33 Posted by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Arrow, Injustice: Gods Among Us, Batman & Robin and Larfleeze are my favorites at the moment.

Staff
#34 Posted by Hawkguy (585 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: My most sincerest apologies madame. I'll do me best to track back. No money isn't necessarily a problem, it happens to be abundant in my life at the moment.

Thank you very much for the advice

#35 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6545 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkguy: No problem. Hope you enjoy reading it. :)

#36 Posted by Hawkguy (585 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: is larfleeze another lantern book that needs to be read alongside the other lantern books? I know of the character and I've read most GL stuff up until brightest day

#37 Posted by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkguy said:

@k4tzm4n: is larfleeze another lantern book that needs to be read alongside the other lantern books? I know of the character and I've read most GL stuff up until brightest day

Nope.

Staff
#38 Edited by Hawkguy (585 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Awesome, I'll check it out tomorrow bro. I'll look into injustice as well. I played the game and beat the story but I'm sure the prologue is awesome considering it's been in every "Best comic battles this week"

#39 Posted by TDK_1997 (15123 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Animal Man
  • Swamp Thing
  • Batwoman
  • Batman and Robin
  • Green Arrow
  • Wonder Woman
  • Superman Unchained
  • Batman/Superman
  • The Phantom Stranger
  • Green Lantern New Guardians
#40 Edited by Lvenger (21294 posts) - - Show Bio

In no particular order, these are the New 52 titles I think are the best of the somewhat lacking overall bunch

• Superman Unchained
  • Wonder Woman
  • Green Arrow
  • The Flash
  • Earth 2
  • Batman and Robin (though it's called Batman and... at the moment)
  • Batman/Superman
  • Swamp Thing
  • Green Lantern: New Guardians
  • Batwoman sounds good apparently
#41 Posted by Deranged Midget (17974 posts) - - Show Bio

There's no real particular order but I'd go with:

• Batman/Superman
  • Aquaman
  • Green Lantern
  • The Flash
  • Action Comics (pre-Lobdell)
  • Green Arrow
  • Superman Unchained
#42 Posted by sinestro_GL (3323 posts) - - Show Bio

In no particular order:

1. Batman
  2. Green Lantern
  3. Green Arrow
  4. Aquaman
  5. The Flash
  6. Animal Man
  7. Swamp Thing
  8. Phantom Stranger
  9. Justice League Dark
  10. Wonder Woman
#43 Posted by Hawkguy (585 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Is earth 2 similar to JL but in a different universe?

#44 Edited by Hawkguy (585 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like so far, my top 3 choices are:

1. Animal man

2. Swamp thing

3. Green lantern (unsure due to other lantern books and tie-ins)

#45 Posted by Batman242 (4862 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman

Justice League

Flash

Batman - The Dark Knight

Green Lantern - New Guardians

Superman

Detective Comics

Action comics

Aquaman

Green Lantern

#46 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (944 posts) - - Show Bio

For me, my top 10 are:

• Aquaman
  • Flash
  • Justice League
  • Batman
  • Superman Unchained
  • Wonder Woman
  • Green Lantern Corps
  • Swamp Thing
  • Earth 2
  • Nightwing
#47 Posted by Lvenger (21294 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkguy: It's basically a Justice Society book set on Earth 2 which is where the Justice Society originally resided. To give you an initial idea, Earth 2's Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman appeared much earlier than their New 52 versions alongside Catwoman, a female Robin who is Helena Wayne, a white Mr Terrific (the original I believe) and Supergirl. 5 years ago, at around the same time as Darkseid invaded Earth in Justice League, he also invaded Earth 2 with Parademon Hordes led by Steppenwolf. Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman ended up sacrificing themselves to defeat the hordes of Apokolips, Supergirl and Helena came to the main Earth where they became Power Girl and Huntress and Steppenwolf has remained on Earth 2. 5 years later, new 'Wonders' as superheroes are called start to appear. These include Alan Scott as Green Lantern (who's now gay btw), Jay Garrick as the Flash (given his speed by the Roman God Mercury), Hawkgirl, Atom Smasher, Doctor Fate, Sandman, Citizen Steel and a new Batman. Hope that clears up the picture for you! It's a title I've heard a lot of good things about.

#48 Posted by Hawkguy (585 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: That sounds really damn interesting! I've seen it get really good reviews here on CV, and I'm a sucker for DCs team books.

#49 Edited by Lvenger (21294 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkguy: It's a really good team book from what I hear too. But James Robinson is leaving the title at issue 16 and there's going to be a creative shake up. But Taylor has been getting praise for his work on his Injustice: Gods Among Us series so it should still be good.

#50 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (2094 posts) - - Show Bio

In no particular order

- Superman Unchained

- Justice League

- Action Comics (Just issues 1-18,0 and the Annual #1 ignore the rest although jump back on once Greg Pak jumps on the book with issue 25)

- Batman/Superman

- Batman

- Earth 2

- Aquaman

- Wonder Woman

- Flash

- Detective Comic (Starting with issue 13)

Honourable mentions

- Green Arrow (Starting with issue 17)

- Animal Man

- Swamp Thing

- Green Lantern

- Batman and Robin (currently called Batman and.....)