Too Many Character Based Movies?...

Mahtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Mahtu

I've been keeping up the best i can with all the news coming out about the upcoming movies from Marvel and DC: Green Lantern, Captain America, X-Men First Class, Ant-Man, Deadpool, Thor, Avengers, Batman 3, Spiderman relaunch, Wolverine Origins 2, possible Superman relaunch?.... and many, MANY more.  I just started thinking, "Why are SO many different character and team-based movies coming out?  I mean the tons of Marvel movies and the few DC movies that have come out in the last decade have ALL been straight character-based scripts.  Why not create live-action movies with multiple characters that are based on story-arcs?"  How many of you would like to see a movie that contains all of your favorite characters, but is more centered around a major event the way that comic books typically are written?

Blackest Night #8
Blackest Night #8

I would love to see something like this.....

No Caption Provided

... or this come to the screen.  Tell me what you guys think!
the referee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By the referee
@Mahtu:

They tried that with Hulk World, but the problem is most movie goers don't read comics. If throw in to a comic based movie the viewers miss half the story. If a viewer went to go see a  Blackest Night movie viewers would not  understand how Batman and others died. It all come down to  the dollar. That is why so many big named heroes have had bad movies (Daredevil comes to mind). As long as people want to go see movies and don't read comics this will happen.
Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

Don't worry, the market is so oversaturated with comic book movies that soon there will be barely any coming out except for maybe some of the top guys?
Mahtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mahtu

That's exactly what I mean.  The market is WAY too oversaturated with comic book movies they're all pushed too close together and I think a great solution would be to produce some kind of story arc movie that could have the multiple characters instead of having to make a billion movies.  The idea of introducing each avenger w/ their own movie THEN making the avenger's movie just annoys me and gives me a headache.....

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Gylan Thomas

Budget.

greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By greenenvy

That might work since no other characters besides the main ones are not getting attention then add them together in a team. When mass audiences get interested in that character then that character should finally get a solo right away. For example they should   introduce she hulk in the next hulk movie or the one in 2008 and if people are curios enough  then theres a door opened for she hulk but no they didn't yet damn it. 

Mahtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mahtu
@Gylan Thomas said:
" Budget. "
If budget is the problem then why are they making a bajillion solo movies?  It's obviously not a question of how much money they have to spend it's a matter of dragging out the ticket sales and it's a little ridiculous.
Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gylan Thomas
@Mahtu said:
" @Gylan Thomas said:
" Budget. "
If budget is the problem then why are they making a bajillion solo movies?  It's obviously not a question of how much money they have to spend it's a matter of dragging out the ticket sales and it's a little ridiculous. "
Budgets a problem because the more superpowered charactet and fantastical scenarios they try to squeez into one movie the more it'll cost.
Movies focusing on one characte cost millions as it is.
Mahtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mahtu
@Gylan Thomas: That's exactly what I mean.  They're making solo movies for tons of characters that belong together in the first place. That's a waste of money in my opinion. Why not just combine them and make one great movie with diverse characters and a decent story?.....

Because no matter how you slice it, one majorly high-budget film will still cost a lot less than six high-budget films.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Caligula

the majority of the public would have no clue as to what was going on or who some of the characters were. major crossover arcs would never work, because 80% of the population are ignorant to comics.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gylan Thomas
@Caligula said:
" the majority of the public would have no clue as to what was going on or who some of the characters were. major crossover arcs would never work, because 80% of the population are ignorant to comics. "
What he said.
Movies are a entirely different medium to comics anyway. What works in a comic rarely works as well in screen.
I prefer Nolans Batman approach too. A strong story that's not a direct adaptation of anyone story. I don't wanna go to the cinema to see a stroy I basicly already know.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Caligula
@Gylan Thomas said:
" @Caligula said:
" the majority of the public would have no clue as to what was going on or who some of the characters were. major crossover arcs would never work, because 80% of the population are ignorant to comics. "
What he said. Movies are a entirely different medium to comics anyway. What works in a comic rarely works as well in screen. I prefer Nolans Batman approach too. A strong story that's not a direct adaptation of anyone story. I don't wanna go to the cinema to see a stroy I basicly already know. "
agreed i like the idea of Superhero films telling their own story as opposed to following the comics arcs, so that way i can see something i did not expect. also I like to think of the movies as non canon arcs themselves.
Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gylan Thomas
@Caligula: 
Totally agree dude.
They've gotta be non canon.
I'll never understand fans winging because the X-men movies didn't start the story from the begining with the first five or how people are confused by TV's Smallville being different to the comics. It's different because it's not the comics. That simple.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Caligula
@Gylan Thomas said:
" @Caligula:  Totally agree dude. They've gotta be non canon. I'll never understand fans winging because the X-men movies didn't start the story from the begining with the first five or how people are confused by TV's Smallville being different to the comics. It's different because it's not the comics. That simple. "
mucho agreement