Today's comics, tomorrow's gold.

Avatar image for teddy_the_god_killer
teddy_the_god_killer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Can you give a rough prediction (because that is all it can be for obvious reasons) as to the comics (individuals, books or series) that you believe will be worth money in the far flung future valuable collector's items to our great-great-grandkids?

Please give a short reason too.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

published today? they aren't going to be worth the money you paid for them....to many reprints

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 2

None.

Avatar image for teddy_the_god_killer
teddy_the_god_killer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For arguments sake let us assume we are talking serious future. There must be something that would be worthwhile, surely the medium is not that bereft of historical value. Even stamps are eventually worth some money.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

No, I'd say they're pretty spot on so far. Common misconception that age makes things valuable, when in fact it's rarity that does that. Something could be very old but if there are still many copies of it out there, it's not worth much (if it wasn't to begin with). Either it had to be limited in it's initial production, or have most of the copies eventually be destroyed. That's why so many people get disappointed on those pawning & antique shows, lol.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By spinningbirdcake

We should all, collectively, start burning our comics to make them more valuable. Right! RIGHT! YEAH!!! COMIC BOOK BURNING!!!!

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

We should all, collectively, start burning our comics to make them more valuable. Right! RIGHT! YEAH!!! COMIC BOOK BURNING!!!!

AH HA! I've beaten you to it, I started burning my comics years ago! I will be RICHHHH!

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dabee

I'll do it if you do it. But you have to go first.

Really, though, I think only first appearances are what's going to be worth a lot. Independent titles too. Comics like Saga issue 1 are already climbing up there, and there's no reason to think it won't still have a cult following in future generations. (It's that good.) But the reason they are worth so much in the future is because nobody thinks they will worth a lot in the future. If we say it's going to be worth a lot and buy it up, it won't be worth anything because we've hoarded it. Best thing you can do is just collect what you love and hope for the best in the future!

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@dabee said:

@spinningbirdcake said:

I'll do it if you do it. But you have to go first.

Really, though, I think only first appearances are what's going to be worth a lot. Independent titles too. Comics like Saga issue 1 are already climbing up there, and there's no reason to think it won't still have a cult following in future generations. (It's that good.) But the reason they are worth so much in the future is because nobody thinks they will worth a lot in the future. If we say it's going to be worth a lot and buy it up, it won't be worth anything because we've hoarded it. Best thing you can do is just collect what you love and hope for the best in the future!

Well said.

blazinasian112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddy_the_god_killer: I still think some comics published today can be worth something, although rare. Your most likely bet are first issues or first appearances, or key events. A lot of image comics...Like Walking Dead 1, Chew 1, Invincible 1 are worth alot. Key events like death of Apocalypse as a kid in Uncanny Xforce 4 is about 2 years old and already going for 50-80 bucks on websites and ebay. Injustice 1 is going for 30-50 dollars as well. Recent releases like Amazing spiderman 700 (first appearance of SpOck) and Wolverine #9 (first appearance of Lord Deathstike) look promising. It's just if you can predict which character will be the next Bane, Venom ,Deadpool, etc.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

@teddy_the_god_killer:

its a common misconception that old means expensive, first misleading, is the unimaginable wealth that could be had from specific golden age comics. while some are worth less than a brand new comic, others rake in the big bucks, theres several reasons for this, but we only need one... WW2, during this time trade goes down causing raw materials harder to come by, and demand goes up so they can supply the army, so there were huge campaigns asking people to donate their used materials to be recycled for the war effort... (Rubber, spent oil, cooking grease/bacon fat, scrap steel etc.) when it came to paper goods the first thing to go was, 'those damn comic books" driving up scarcity of the items, and therefore the now prices. but even then, there are some worth extremely little , even with the increased scarcity, they don't have the nostalgia pull of characters that stood the test of time, and have now become internationaly iconic.

Batman no. 1 sold for more in 1970 (30 years later)(pre bubble) than Hulk no 1 in 2000 (30 years later)(post bubble) I think the same might be true if one of the independant companies jumped in an made a name for themselve..... (like if Chew becomes as popular, 30 years later, might be worth even less ratiowise than Hulk no. 1 30 years later but still worth considerably more than it would be if not) (fawcett comics are generally worth very little in comparision)

so no ones... yeah they could increase a lot, if but not no1 of vol 2 or 3. no19.... even with a new iconic character, probably worthless (Avengers no1 sold for 250,000 recently, but no 19, origin of Hawkeye, selling for 2 bucks on ebay, I can buy it for 50 cents at a few different local stores selling comic books)

good question Teddy, I think theres a good variety of opinion on it... real good question

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

OHH on a side note, I think Action Comics no 903, from august 2011 will be worth more than Action Comics no 1, from the same year.

IMO

less copies available, and possibly a more important date, " the end of the longest run in comic book history" i think