To all those DC fans like me, who despair at lack of films!

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Bezza

A lot of DC fans are rightly hacked off with Marvel bringing out so many films, whilst DC struggle to put anything out. Well, history tells us these things go in cycles. If you are old enough, like me, to have been around in the 70s, 80s and 90s, you will know that between 1978 and 1997, all the films released were by DC. Yep, we had 4 superman films and 4 Batman films and Marvel came up with nothing until the first X Men movie in 2000. So if you were a marvel fan in the 80s and 90s, you maybe were pretty naffed off too, waiting for the first big screen appearance of spidey, Hulk et all!

So I think that from 2015 DC will start to reverse the trend. After Avengers 2, Thor 3 and Amazing Spiderman 3 I think Marvel will start to run out of steam, because all their big characters will have been done and the novelty factor will fall, also RDJ wont be Iron Man anymore and he was a big factor in Marvel's success. DC however will have new fans from the new WW, Batman, Superman etc appearances.

So chillax

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

We get so many new superhero films each year, I'm completely desensitized to their release. Honestly, I feel absolutely no anticipation for these things anymore. I skipped Wolverine and Thor this year (though I may catch Thor at a dollar theater). Iron Man 3 just wasn't memorable. I do feel Man of Steel warrants a second viewing.

As a reader, I feel we need to stop caring about the films. They're for general consumption, the entertainment equivalent of pizza and hamburgers. They aren't made by people who grew up on the comics (unlike animation). We're rewarding an industry made up of the sorts of people who just see the readers as a built-in source of marketing.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I like the fact that DC doesn't have a movie every three months like Marvel. With DC approach we can expect quality movies instead of a quantity of sh!t movies. I actually feel Marvels going to be the death of the superhero genre because they come out with movies way to often and people will eventually get tired of it.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, Marvel will run out of steam/characters:

Daredevil

Luke Cage

Ant-Man

Doctor Strange

Ms. Marvel

Black Panther

Nova

The Runaways

Inhumans

Seriously, you could say that DC/WB would run out of that "novelty factor" when they've made enough films of a particular character in this imaginary universe they're creating. Both Marvel and WB have enough characters to turn into films.

This thread is dumb.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

This 2x. Haters gonna hate lol. Quality? i guess Catwoman, Jonah Hex, Green Lantern and Constantine never happened? All the great characters DC has and all they did for the longest was crank out Batman and Superman movies.

Man of Steel was great IMO and DC didnt have enough faith in him to make another standalone sequel , they had to shoehorn all these other heroes into his movie.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Why are you under the impression that Thor,Iron man,Cap,etc are all ending at their third film? Also why is ASM even mentioned when that isn't a marvel film? I certainly don't think they're going to run out of steam with movies already planned for Ant-Man,Black Panther,Doctor Strange, etc.

Avatar image for deadpool_is_better_than_you
Deadpool_is_better_than_you

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to the movies from both Marvel and DC. Justice League will be fantastic to see on screen and Avengers with Thanos will be amazing. I don't care much about Fox or Sony's movies though.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wavemotioncannon: This take away Batman and Superman and their films/t.v. doesnt look so good

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

@deadpool_is_better_than_you: Agreed, I just rolled my eyes when Sony announced a spider man universe because to me it's just the saddest and most pathetic attempt to keep Spiderman away from Marvel at all costs.

Plus, this means that Marvels movies are pretty much going to be at Civil War with one another.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

While I get the thinking that Fox/Sony movies don't count as Marvel films..can't agree with it. They couldn't just take the characters, somewhere along the line, Marvel had to agree to it, I would think. To me, that means Marvel shoulders some blame if the films are bad..and gets some credit if they're good. (I liked ASM btw.)

SoloKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem is DC is afraid to do anything aside from Batman and Superman. It doesn't help that whenever they try to venture from those characters the movies suck (looking at you Green Lantern). Marvel just rapid fires random movies hoping one is a hit.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't say DC is "afraid" to venture outside Superman/Batman, they simply haven't done well when they have..critically or at the box-office. (GL, Catwoman, Hex,) The other thing is, people forget some very good movies that ARE DC titles, but aren't super-heroes (A History of Violence, Red, Road to Perdition.)

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This thread Is stupid. First OP is wrong. The first Marvel film was not X-Men it was films like Howard the Duck and Blade. So people hate to be entertained now a days? There's nothing wrong with having many films come out in one year. Thor the Dark World and The Wolverine were both great films so the quality doesn't get hit especially since three different companies are producing the films. Marvel isn't going to run out of characthers to make films look at what there doing next year with GOTG Marvel is expanding there universe unlike DC who like the OP said have made 4 Superman and Batman films back then and guess what? Same thing this time around DC is too scared to go off from they big two and when they do there disasters like Catwomen and GL.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Lvenger

Marvel have their TV Defenders TV show to expand into along with a possible Powers adaptation and teasers/name drops for Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Ms Marvel and Hulk films if not more. And that's just under the Marvel owned entertainment not including the next set of Thor, Captain America and Avengers films. DC have a lot of catching up to do. One good egg, which for me Man of Steel does not count as such a good egg in the absolute slightest, can't make up for the sheer variety and number of Marvel projects being put into production. Not to mention that the Batman/Superman film will run the risk of rushing a Justice League film into the works thus becoming overcrowded and diluting the attention away from Superman in his own sequel.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@humanrocket: @tyrus:

I meant their big hitters will all have been done, the ones you have listed are hardly likely to be major hits, unless Marvel gets lucky as they did with Iron man and RBJ

and HumanRocket, I think you're the one being stupid if you count Blade and Howard the Duck as proper Marvel superhero films...I was referring to the fact that until 2000, Marvel hadn't got one of their most popular characters onto the cinema screen.

I'm just saying that I think these things go in cycles and Marvel has certainly got the upper hand in recent years, but the tide could turn back DC's away in a few years time, but I agree they need to not rely on Batman and Superman so much...

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

This post speaks a lot to wishful thinking, that's not to say that it's impossible for Marvel to collapse under the weight of over-saturation eventually, but if that does happen, it will likely take the DC cinematic universe with it, because casuals will look at Marvel and DC films in the same light as just superhero movies. Also, let's not assume that MoS was a rousing success or that the new "Batman v.s. Superman" is going to work out great, I hear alot of "wait until DC introduces Wonder Woman and Flash to the big screen, they'll mop the floor", I hope they do well in that area but DC's history of bringing heroes to the big screen NOT named Batman and Superman have not been good, they are just as likely to bomb as they are to be a success.

Avatar image for averageinsanity
AverageInsanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should make a Titans movie. They are pretty popular to non comic book reader due to their successful cartons: teen titans, teen titans go, and young justice.

Plus characters like Cyborg and Nightwing can be pushed up to have their own low budget solo films.

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really care about DC's live action. Marvel has much better live action, but DC has much better animated movies. Good enough for me. Also, animated movies are easier to access and don't take forever to be released on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Flashpoint Paradox was pretty awesome. I think the main reason why people didn't like the comic was because they drew it out way too long in a bad way. Flashpoint shortened it up perfectly and had a good balance of action and emotion.

I haven't been following the DC animated movies lately, so, if anyone knows, has Justice League: War come out yet?

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

The good thing about DC is that found markets to monopolised which Marvel hasn't done so well in, Animation (let's face Marvel really doesn't care about that look their recent Iron man/Hulk movie is hardly to get excited), Video games (DC has had a stellar year with that, Injustice recently won award at VGX) and TV (yes Marvel may have some things). Be honest I think WB have learnt lessons from all their superhero attempts and from Nolan, and are now willing to make quality films not just superhero films. If they do this right then superhero films could get a welcome change that they needed as Marvel hasn't done anything to change genre as of late.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By LyraFay

@retconcrisis: Justice League: War will be out on February 4th 2014 and then we'll be getting two Batman animated films because its Batman's 75th anniversary.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By HumanRocket

@bezza: blade is a popular chracther and he has to get his due as being one of the first Marvel films weather you like it or not it both films were the first and blade was one of the more none Marvel chracthers to get a solo film.

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha I clicked the link to this discussion hoping for a list of upcoming DC films, but am left thinking of all the things to war over... Religion, politics. Ethnicity, social standing, ... You choose Marvel vs DC movies... Most people don't care, I fact I did a survey at college and most people don't know what heros belong where, with "is Batman going to be in the next avengers" and "why was the hulk in the Avengers, he isn't a Marvel character" style comments. The huge majority of movie goers don't see any distinction.

As for the negative comments, Marvel will keep making great films till people stop watching them, not one of their films have been bad. DC seem to be struggling, Batman was amazing, but superman seems to be a bit hit and miss, Catwoman was terrible, Green Lantern had a very thin story, it's strength has very much been with its Vertigo adaptations which have all been fantastic... BUT I look forward to sequels to 300 and Sin City most, so Dark Horse Publishing should defiantly be put up as a contender for best comic movies publisher...

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC are just setting up and getting their schedule together but will prove to be time consuming while Marvel already have and are putting it out there. Both companies still got a lot of films to produce so I don't see any 'steam running out' considering the amount of superheroes they each have.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Firstly let me say I'm happy Marvel is pumping out movies (even though Marvel Studios is only putting out 2 a year) and taking chances with characters (Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, possibly Dr Strange, Ms Marvel, and Black Panther) along with their television news (Agents of Shield, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones and The Defenders). However like others have said DC is doing well on the animated side and video games and that's where I'd love Marvel to start shinning in as well.

As for the rest of "Marvel" as in the rights owned by Fox and Sony I really don't care for. I enjoyed Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 along with X-Men and X-Men First Class, but not enough to where I don't wish for all these characters to go back to Marvel Studios, especially since I wasn't a fan of ASM.

Now for DC. They are doing a fine job at the Batman games and just trying to start up their universe and I'm going to give them a shot but as of right now with MOS being the only one in their line-up I'm not impressed. This is most likely my lack of love for Supes so I'll give it a pass, but if they start just pumping out Batman, Superman, and JL putting all of their other characters on the back-burner I'll lose interest fast. All I ask from DC at this point is to take risk and give us variety. It's alright to have a Batman or Supes but throw out a Guardians of the Galaxy every now and then please. Thank you.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Tyrus

I think it was a bit childish for you to say "Oh eventually Marvel will use up all their characters and become boring and DC will take over and win hooray!" - what makes you say that? Marvel has been riding this train for years and it sounds like you're saying that when or if DC releases a film other than Superman and Batman, they'll be the victors and everything Marvel has done up to this point is irrelevant.

I too, am excited for future DC/WB films, but saying that Superman and Batman - 2 endlessly rebooted characters, will be popular forever while Marvel characters just fade away immediately? No (and don't even try to use the "they're 2 of the most popular heroes in the world" excuse :P).