Time travel consequence theories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I've always wondered what would happen if you did figure a way to time travel and how that would effect the past present and future.

So here is my theory. Everything you try to do in the past has already happen.

So for example say you went back in time to try and change something that really could have helped you later on. You do this then go back to the present and see that everything is still the same. This is because you didn't know in the past that your future self caused this to happen. Now if you thought of going back a second time to put it back the same results would happen because the you that went back the first time didn't see the you that is there now and every time you do this nothing changes.

Now let's say you wanted to go back to make your past self see your future self. This would never happen if you never saw your future self in the past when it was you in the past because something would have gone wrong everytime. Same thing goes for changing historical events.

Now what I see in time travel would be extremely hard to calculate if we could go back in time because space is moving around you at all times so you could end up several billions of light years away from Earth because it was somewhere else in the universe. Also you would need to make sure you don't travel into something, whether it is solid, liquid, or air, maybe even dark matter though I'm not sure.

A movie that got this right was Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azcaban. It is correct because they changed nothing from the past they just didn't know Buckbeak was saved from the angle they were looking at what was happening. And all the events that happened before they had caused. I'll let them pass on the accuracy of where that land in time because it magic.

I think I've covered everything so tell me what you think and what theories you have.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

thats one theory, but i prefer the butterfly effect where any small change can have disastrous effects

like killing one butterfly could mean some people were never distracted for a moment and something big happened because of that, like something huge never got invented or another big war started

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The counter to the OPs conundrum of it being impossible to change the past or future is solved with the realm of fiction with the alternate universe system.

If you change something in the past you create an alternate timeline, the original timeline still exists but you are now in a different one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: I never liked that idea. Too dramatic. Think about it in your life. Whether you did or didn't see a butterfly today, would your life have been that much different either way?

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

thats one theory, but i prefer the butterfly effect where any small change can have disastrous effects

like killing one butterfly could mean some people were never distracted for a moment and something big happened because of that, like something huge never got invented or another big war started

Yea pretty much, though it would be dependent on how far you go back. Like a week wouldn't do much if anything, a million years would most likely make life notably different.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Time travel is impossible. If it were possible to actually travel back in time, I'm sure there would be some evidence of it.

I tend to favor the theory that any attempt to travel back in time would only result in an entirely alternate universe being created. Send a particle back through time, it arrives in a newly created universe where two of the exact same particle can exist at the same time.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c1a72900876
deactivated-63c1a72900876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think you watched yesterdays teen titans go episode :)

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@jayc1324: possibly, if its a nice one and i stop and look at it for a moment i might miss my train and be late for work, end up not getting a promotion and my life goes on a different path

you can never know what differences there might be

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If time travel is possible it would be irrelevant.

EXAMPLE; You want to go back in time to save the day.

For time travel to be possible there must be a past, a present, and a future.

The very fact that you are going back in time to change the present, means that in the future you have already failed to change the past.

Sending the mind back would be much more probable.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

@legacy6364: Or just viewing the past, since we technically do it every day.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#11  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
No Caption Provided

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If any of you are familiar with Elseworlds titles JLA: The Nail and Another Nail, that series is an example of the Butterfly Effect. Some dude driving home from a hardware shop may have dropped a nail, and so what? Nothing major right?

Well, the Kents happened to run over it and got a flat tire. Just because the tire went flat, they failed to discover Baby Kal-El. Aaaaand there comes the world without Superman.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mandarinestro: how does the world go without superman. I'm mean I'm guess he isn't raised by the Kents but I'm sure a different family would have found him eventually. Even if that didn't happen he doesn't need food (because he feeds off sunlight), he has super endurance, strength, and speed so he isn't endangered. And he also has a super brain that could help him fit into society. So how is there no superman for Earth.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mandarinestro

@1234567809: Look up the series for yourself, I don't feel like giving any spoilers.