#1 Posted by Sean2206 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

So it looks like Threshold is cancelled adding yet another book to the pile of discontinued "Edge" family of series (Although I assumed it was in the Green lantern family) with the 8th issue being solicited as it's final issue..

What;d you guys think, personally I read the New Guardians annual and the first 2 issues and I enjoyed what I read and it was one of those series I wanted to catch up on later on which will be easier now. I get these more out there books don't sell as well but the edge is a nice change of pace which is gradually becoming non-existent or not very edgy (According to wikipedia this is the ninth "Edge book to be cancelled.

Do you guys think it deserved to be cancelled? Will you be sad to see it go? Was it a bad book was there many out there following and enjoying it?

Here is a link to Cosmic book news reporting on the cancellation.

#2 Posted by longbowhunter (7281 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanted to check it out but I'm always cautious of $3.99 books. It doesn't surprise me though. DC has been just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks since the New 52 started.

#3 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6417 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering it was the lowest selling New 52 title this month, that hasn't already been cancelled, I can't say I'm surprised.

#4 Edited by The Stegman (25002 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, DC really isn't giving these titles much of a chance. I tried Threshold, but it was too wordy for my tastes, oh well, another one bites the dust.

#5 Posted by SmashBrawler (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

Terrible news, but I'm hardly surprised. This series was doomed the minute DC put a $3.99 price tag on it.

#6 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

After reading New Guardians Annual 1, I was hooked on the new sector. In just one double-sized book Giffen Kolins Bressan and Curiel established an expansive new sector that already had so much personality. I thought I was just going to stay for the Larfleeze backups, but I was instantly hooked on the Tenebrian Dominion and its inhabitants. Bringing back characters like Homer Glint whom we haven't seen since the 1960s was also an amazing touch. I'm overall really disappointed that they had to drop it, but at least Giffen's going to be writing a Larfleeze ongoing. I just really love his writing, he can establish so much in so little time (or pages.)

This is not the last we've seen of Jediah Caul, either. Such an epic character. I predict an ongoing in the near future. Better buy up those first appearances (New Guardians Annual 1.) They're gonna be worth something someday when he's super-popular.

#7 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33885 posts) - - Show Bio

If pepole would stop sucking and actually buy new books instead of the same old crap this wouldn't keep happening

#8 Posted by Billy Batson (58143 posts) - - Show Bio

If pepole would stop sucking and actually buy new books instead of the same old crap this wouldn't keep happening

Better marketing and a cheaper price tag would also help.

BB

#9 Posted by The Stegman (25002 posts) - - Show Bio

You know that's never going to happen. People want big faces, Batman, Superman, Justice League. They choose the safe over the risky new books. That's why Marvel's doing well, they're playing it safe, putting "X Men" or 'Avengers" in the titles of over half their comics.

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33885 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

You know that's never going to happen. People want big faces, Batman, Superman, Justice League. They choose the safe over the risky new books. That's why Marvel's doing well, they're playing it safe, putting "X Men" or 'Avengers" in the titles of over half their comics.

and thats why Marvel/DC comics have been stagnant for years

#11 Edited by The Stegman (25002 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

and thats why Marvel/DC comics have been stagnant for years

True Dat, though I applaud DC for at least /trying/ something new, I Vampire, Demon Knights, Dial H, Animal Man, and quite a few other lesser known titles have been great, though I Vampire is gone, and sadly, judging from its sales, Demon Knights might be next.

#12 Posted by sagejonathan (1990 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't read it because this was supposed to be a continuation for Blue Beetle (one of my favorite characters) after his series got canceled. I didn't like that move so I refused to buy it.

#13 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

For a new space team, maybe combine Hal Jordan, Superman, martian manhunter, hawkman, blue beetle, lobo, jemm, starfire, etc.

#14 Edited by The_Tree (7720 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually liked this book, but I can't say I'm surprised. A brand new lead character, with a writer that's not as hot as say Johns or Snyder, and ultimately, a 3.99 price tag, you just had to know that it was inevitable.

Hopefully something is done with Caul, either finish up his arc or have him join the REBELS for a new series (Wishful thinking, I know.).

#15 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33885 posts) - - Show Bio

For a new space team, maybe combine Hal Jordan, Superman, martian manhunter, hawkman, blue beetle, lobo, jemm, starfire, etc.

You mean the characters that are in every other book?

#16 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

dc, i know you want that quick buck but this is not how you do business. with not much love, everybody.

#17 Posted by TDK_1997 (14983 posts) - - Show Bio

I am enjoying the book and Jediah Caul.I really hope that it ends properly and not in some stupid way that won't clear things up for us or maybe we can see Caul later in some other book.

#18 Posted by Tacos_Kickass (844 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not surprised at all. I gave it a chance and I enjoyed it.

DC should be more lenient with these lesser known titles or have Batman just randomly appear for a minute in each of the comics, like Reptile in the old Mortal Combat games.

#19 Posted by RustyRoy (13184 posts) - - Show Bio

If they keep cancelling books so early then no one's gonna buy them anyway. They should have lowered the price tag too.

#20 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (12011 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not gonna lie, I was one of the guys who was playing it safe. I couldn't really afford the extra 3.99 price tag. If it was 2.99, I'd reconsider but....maybe I'll save up and pick up the trade and read the story to see what I missed out on. :-\

#21 Edited by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@sean2206 said:
...it was one of those series I wanted to catch up on later on which will be easier now.

Damn, DC really isn't giving these titles much of a chance. I tried Threshold, but it was too wordy for my tastes, oh well, another one bites the dust.

The book wasn't a priority, as even OP's words reveal. Trade-waiting only works for a series which has the numbers to sustain it as an ongoing; if enough people decide they're just going to catch up later, then there is no "later" because the book dies. So depending on how you see it, you can either blame yourself for not having supported it immediately, or you can acknowledge that for a variety of reasons (I've quoted "too wordy" as an example) this book simply lacked the capacity to garner the popular appeal it needed to survive in this market.

DC can't be blamed for cancelling a book that people don't buy.

They can be blamed for slapping a premium price tag on an unknown quantity, however. In the murder of Threshold, DC's pricing qualifies as criminal negligence.

#22 Posted by inferiorego (26682 posts) - - Show Bio

This... so much this.

R.I.P. Another one of my favorite DC titles.

Hopefully, they can replace this with another Bat-Family title.

Staff