Three Series That Ended Too Early in 2014

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

With so many best of lists flying around the web these past few weeks, it reminds me while there's tons of books moving forward, many got the ax this year because of low sales and various other reasons. The thing to remember about this is while some people may see these cancellations as a good thing, to make way for other books, every comic book series is someone's favorite comic book series, and three of my personal favorite books ended their runs this year. So let's take a look at three books I loved the heck out of that came to an end as I wipe away my tears trying to find something to replace it with.

CLONE (Skybound)

No Caption Provided

Written by Aaron Ginsburg, David Schulner, and Wade McIntyre

Art by Juan Jose Ryp

Colors by Andy Troy

When David Schulner revealed to us, over the summer, that CLONE was ending, my heart sank. This was one of my favorite on-goings because it had such a cool premise: a man discovers he's a clone and after the clones come out of the closet, America wants them dead.

There was a lot going on in this book and a lot to keep readers invested. The story was truly compelling and one of the driving forces of this book was the art work from Juan Jose Ryp. The guy packed an immense amount of detail into the pages he worked on and the book was never late or delayed. It was magic.

Sadly, this book never got a final issue. The team got to finish up the current story line and that was that. Readership never picked up on this series, which is a huge shame because this was a hidden gem at Skybound. On the plus side, I just found out the television show Orphan Black is a thing and started watching that. However, I'm still missing Luke Taylor quite a bit.

You can get collected editions this book on Comixology, or you can find yourselves the books somewhere on the new. There are four volumes of the book containing all 20 issues of this series.

SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN (Marvel)

No Caption Provided

Written by Nick Spencer

Art by Steve Lieber

Colors by Rachelle Rosenberg

Mildly spinning out of the world of SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN, SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN put a group of C-List Spider-Man villains together to form the new Sinister Six. Did these villains ever actually take on Superior Spider-Man? That's not important. They did, however, cause 17 issues of laughs and over-complicated plots and planning, while dealing with the fact their all not top tier villains. Sadly, it just didn't have the readership to keep on going, even though critics loved the series.

Nick Spencer is an extremely talented writer, but this is easily my favorite series he worked on, thus far. Each issue was literally "laugh out loud" funny but it wasn't just all jokes. We actually got to know these characters through the comedy and we also got to see Silvermane in KISS makeup. That's a double win for me.

Alongside Spencer was Stevie Lieber and Rachelle Rosenberg providing a style that gave this book a distinctive look. Some of the most memorable moments in this series come from Boomerang being stuck in his own head and having fantasies that involved stick figures. Yep, this book occasionally has stick figures in it, and sometimes giant two-page spreads of car chases featuring Overdrive. This book was nuts in the best way possible.

Currently, you can pick up the single issues on Comixology or the collected editions. Currently, the first two trades of the book are out with another one hitting stores in February.

ALL-STAR WESTERN (DC)

No Caption Provided

Written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray

Art by Staz Johnson, Moritat, Darwyn Cooke, and others

Colors by Michael Atiyeh

This is where the dusty trail comes to an end. After working on over 100 issues of Jonah Hex (including the Pre-52 volume), ALL STAR WESTERN came to an end. DC's book about a bounty hunter in the old west was really refreshing and writers Palmiotti and Gray put a lot of love into it and it showed.

For the most part, the comic was a pretty straight-forward western, but there were some great moments that were a bit out of the genre, like when Booster Gold transported Jonah into modern-day Gotham, where Jonah met Bruce Wayne and found out that you just can't fire a gun in public without getting in trouble.

This book also had a run of great artists, including Moritat and Staz Johnson. Both of these fine folks really defined this series, while colorist Michael Atiyeh was the glue that held everything together.

While the book is gone, you can still catch up in single issues or in trade of Comixology. Currently, there are five trades out for that book. Also, you could check out the original graphic novel JONAH HEX: NO WAY BACK by Gray, Palmiotti, and artist Tony DeZuniga, back from 2010. Luckily, if you want more, there's still tons of back issues to go through. You might be thinking "this team did over 100 issues with this character but it still ended too early?" Yes, yes it did.

While it really stinks to see some of your favorite series get cancelled, there's always a ton of other great books to check out. These were just a few of my personal favorite books that ended this year, but we want to know what you think. Were there any books this year that got cancelled that you loved?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Although I haven't read All Star Western, I am fully aware of it's fan following, so I can see why people think it ended too early even though it was a first wave New 52 title. It at least had time to build a following. However, I've read Clone and Superior Foes and I COMPLETELY agree. Those are two titles who were canceled too soon. Another title I think ended too soon was New Warriors.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I loved Superior Foes.

Psycho_Soldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Animal Man

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was under the impression that, even low sales aside, Spencer and Lieber only planned 15 issues of Superior Foes, and told the story they wanted to tell. There was interview somewhere where one of them said that. Still, I wish it had continued (same with ASW; I never read Clone).

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

New Warriors ended to early as well. Really hope they revist the team in the coming months.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

X-Men Legacy

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm still pretty pissed about Clone.

jas0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

You just HAD to mention Superior Foes........you just HAD to make me cry again....

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#10  Edited By PunyParker

New Warriors ended to early as well. Really hope they revist the team in the coming months.

Book was awful,dude......

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superior Foes of Spiderman was amazing. Was really sad to see the series go.

Avatar image for scarletknight2814
ScarletKnight2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BATMAN BEYOND 2.0

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HeirToTheKingdom
No Caption Provided

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why must you reopen the wound that is Superior Foes's cancellation?

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

fearless defenders, amethyst, i could go on. i mean the new 52 alone is an endless list of great books gone

Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My only problem with Superior Foes is how long it took to Shocker to remember he has a pair. I mean he was easily one of the most powerful character in the series, shouldn't have taken that long for him to actually beat somebody.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

agree with all these!!!! But I think All Star Western got its due.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still need to finish reading Superior Foes, but from what I've read I can see why people where disappointed when it ended.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was under the impression that it had a planned ending?

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drellassassin said:

Yeah. It was originally supposed to be 12 issues long but the creators got 5 more.

BB

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want another few years with superior foes! I'd love animal man to stick around...kind of surprised the article didn't mention that one. I also love all star western. Clone was a great book too! Nice picks!

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Adventures of Superman

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Superior Foes is the best book marvel has ever made.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, it was Avengers A.I. Loved that series, really wish it hadn't ended.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superior Foes WAS the best ongoing of 2014. Nothing comes close.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude
IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sword of sorcery:amethyst...

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers A.I.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

micangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had picked up an issue of Clone by accident, thinking it was something else. And I was hooked. Loved the series. So many moral dramas being played out on top of a cool concept and amazing art. And we are left with such a cliffhanger, where paradise is not what you might expect, but was actually horrific. I really wish they would come back to the book.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This makes me sad because its reminding me that swamp thing is going to end this year :(

Completely agree with all three choices.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superior Foes definitely one of the best comics out. Laugh out loud funny and razor sharp writing , damn shame people ( myself included) didn't catch on til it was way too late.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jas0 said:

@psycho_soldier said:

Animal Man

ST too

Yes, both of these. I couldn't believe it when I heard Swamp Thing was gonna be cancelled. One of my favorite characters, was a great run. Now the DC books I read are limited to two: Constantine & JLD, though I'm planning on checking out Gotham by Midnight, I've heard good things.

At Marvel, I have to say for me I hated hearing about the end of Fraction's Hawkeye. That was an awesome run, one of the best Marvel books in a while, just fun, adventure & humor too. I know it's going to be relaunched with Lemire writing, but I know it'll be a totally different feel than Fraction's.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@battle_forum_junkie said:

@drellassassin said:

Yeah. It was originally supposed to be 12 issues long but the creators got 5 more.

BB

All Marvel books have planned endings but if they are popular they will keep going.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By Claymore1998

For me, it was Avengers A.I. Loved that series, really wish it hadn't ended.

Krypton-115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All-New X-Factor anyone?

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scarlet Spider?

Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grandsymbiote94: I never knew shocker was such a wuss until I read that series

I'm not an expert of the character, but I'm pretty sure he had some solid showings against Spider-Man. Hell I think he was on s6 with Ock at some point.

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Superior Foes series must have been good. Still not buying it.

_Nox_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By _Nox_

CLONE ended? I'm still sad over Superior Foes!

No Caption Provided

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@frogdog: Wouldn't say it ended too soon Yost finished his story... still I wouldn't mind another Kaine solo..

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Jonah Hex got hexed.

Avatar image for bh6shouldhavehadsilversamurai
BH6ShouldHavehadSilverSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very sad to see all-star western go. I sort of hoped it would be popular enough to bring public interest back to westerns (which I adore) I mean Django unchained did pretty well right?

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last issue of Clone said they were definitely going to return, and were only on hiatus.