Thoughts on Top Cow

passionfruits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By passionfruits

I am just wondering what everyone thinks of companies like Top Cow, Boom, IDW? Do the independent companies stand a chance in this market? What are some gems from these companies?

Mediant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Mediant

I think that independent companies definitely stand a chance. I've found that there's a much greater variety of genres (rather than 90% super hero) amongst the smaller publishers. This seems like a move that really allows them to shine-- and in my opinion adds much needed diversity to the medium. Smaller publishers also provide a great jumping in point for up-and-coming talent in the industry. 

Some gems from smaller publishers include: 

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Crom-Cruach
@passionfruits said:
" I am just wondering what everyone thinks of companies like Top Cow, Boom, IDW? Do the independent companies stand a chance in this market? What are some gems from these companies? "
Depends really. The thing is they have to established their fan bases and that can be hard. But once they've proven themselves and earned a good following sure.

On a related note, Top Cow is my favorite american comic universe and Witchblade is just pure awesome.
Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Crom-Cruach: I never picked you for a Top Cow fan, that's interesting. :)
Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Crom-Cruach
@FadeToBlackBolt: Really? I've been telling everyone how I love witchblade and Top Cow in every thread talking about it I could find since I've been here as well as defending them in every battles thread. huh?

Well, yes Witchblade is really one of my favorites series ever and one of the few I can stomach putting the time and cash to read every issue 
(which if you get to know me better, you'll learn that it really means I like the series)
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Crom-Cruach: I just always thought you were into Marvel magic stuff for some reason. Weird. 

I love Ian and Sara, but when I wikipedia'd him, it seems like he appears in the series very sporadically, so I gave it up to save money. I try to avoid the battle threads as well, angries up the blood.
Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Crom-Cruach
@FadeToBlackBolt:  Probably because my avatar was before I changed it to my current, a picture of Doctor Strange the sorcerer supreme. I used to be very big into DC and some aspects of Marvel (like the occult stuff). But I gave up with disgust on Marvel, have nearly gave up on DC except for Vertigo and a few trades on DC stories.

I'm into Top Cow, Dark Horse, some dynamite and Image along European comic lines. 

That said if you want to catch up on Top Cow, I'll happily help you out so you can jump back in.
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Crom-Cruach: Great, thank you. I'm currently working on my Star Wars EU ecollection, but once my wallet regenerates, I'll certainly give it another look.  I too have grown rather disgusted with Marvel, I'm sticking with Amazing Spidey, but other than that; dropped everything.
Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Crom-Cruach
@FadeToBlackBolt: I just couldn't take it anymore personally. Basic things for good storytelling were dead in everything I read in Marvel, I gave up. DC came to the same except for Vertigo.

If it hadn't been for Top Cow and Dark Horse I'd have given up on American comic lines a long time ago. Which would have been sad since reading these got me interested in stuff on dynamite and some image titles.
NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By NexusOfLight

My favorite independent companies are Top Cow and Radical. Top Cow was actually the first company that I went to when getting into comics. I saw the Witchblade anime, thought it was cool, and wanted to see the comic that inspired it. Thanks to that, I've heavily delved into the Top Cow stuff. Very good. So yes, independent stuff is a great jumping on point. I didn't care to jump in on the whole super hero thing at first, and Witchblade, then Darkness was exactly what I wanted. Been a fan ever since. 

Then after a while, I became more into Marvel, mostly street level stuff, because I was still trying to avoid the major super hero stuff. Eventually branched off and got into X-men and Avengers, and now Guardians of the Galaxy. Whatever works. 

Then Radical came along. I was all cool about super hero stuff, but still craved something away from it. Radical artists are amazing, so that drew me in. The first series I picked up was Hotwire: Requiem for the Dead. It was cool, because it was like Witchblade, in the sense that the protagonist is a female cop, goin' after strange supernatural things, but different in the sense that it was all sci-fi. Was the coolest thing ever. From there, I checked out more of Radical's stuff. All sorts of good mini-series they have. Shrapnel, Caliber, and probably my favorite, City of Dust. I'm thinkin' of checkin' out their non sci fi titles, like Hercules and Aladdin.