MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

Edited By MrMazz
No Caption Provided

Umberto Gonzalez aka El Mayimbe, recently launched his own genre movie/tv focused website, HeroicHollywood.com. The self professed fanboy journalist recently posted an article focusing on the development of Marvel TV/Netflix Phase Two

Marvel is planning a Phase II that will include Defenders, however this won’t take place until 2017. As of right now, the plan is for two or three Netflix series a year, which means that we won’t get Defenders until 2017.

Daredevil season 2 is coming, but won’t air for a while. As for those Elektra rumors and the leaked audition tapes? They’re real. Elektra is coming.

The powers that be at Marvel have also been toying with the idea of adding characters like Punisher, Blade and Ghost Rider, but there are risks with each of those characters. Not only are they darker and more violent, but two of them require supernatural elements in order to tell their stories. The inclusion of these characters could send Netflix over to the goofy side, which is something they’re very afraid of Ghost Rider would also rely on CGI too much for the studio’s taste.

It would also be difficult to incorporate the stories of these characters smoothly. Blade and Punisher are perceived to be rather one-note to carry a series on their own. The heavy level of violence is also perceived to be a risk. They want a “hard PG-13,” instead of an R. And since none of the Defenders actively kill, throwing Punisher into the mix could be a challenge.

There have been rumors of Blade/Ghost Rider or even Midnight Sons television series for a while now, but nothing really substantive or physical to show for it. The reasoning listed above makes sense; they aren’t that dynamic a character and have had prior exposure in multiple feature films. There is also the CGI requirement for doing a character like the Ghost Rider.

Since the release of DareDevil, there has been renewed call for a Punisher series. It has been a call I’ve never quite understood. The Punisher while having several excellent runs, I’m partial to the MAX series, is a very dourer and very violent character and that doesn’t make for the most watchable episodic content. DareDevil featured a level of violence, not in terms of choreography but in its effect on the body, not seen in a Marvel property. It was breathtaking but even that couldn’t keep that pace up for the 13 run. Television is about the slow change over time and one of those changes was the transition from a vengeful solo view of violence too one that was a bit dryer and acrobatic. The Punisher by its nature can be nothing less than summary execution.

Gonzalez description of the television landscape within Marvel is also interesting

There’s no doubt that TV is in a weird place. Feature films have become king, and are only grudgingly cooperating with their counterparts on the small screen, leaving them mere scraps to work with. Instead of being in on the entire process, television programs are forced to adjust their series in order to keep up with the movies.

Some people have come to believe that the TV side of big superhero franchises’ are being pulled along for the ride. According to some of the latest chatter, they may have a point. Studio execs and writers have begun to feel as though the television side of the interconnected universe is more akin to an anchor than anything else. Their hugely successful cinematic universe and brand took years to build up. Rumor has it that Kevin Feige over at Marvel looks down on the TV side of the franchise, but has come to accept it as somewhat of a “necessary evil,” since Disney demands it. And with ABC insisting on getting their words in, it appears that there may be too many cooks in the kitchen for everyone’s tastes.

The tense negotiation between various corporate entities within a larger umbrella corporation isn’t surprising. It’s the idea that TV as a anchor for the cinematic side of things. I’ve never been much of a continuity minded person, broad strokes sure but otherwise I like good storytelling. As I’ve grown increasingly disinterested in Marvel’s big budget feature output, their television arm has grown more and more intriguing. Agents of SHIELD is still not interesting television and clearly the red headed step child of the film side, Whedon saying Agent Coulson is still dead in the “Movies” shows how disconnected they are. But Agent Carter and DareDevil both came out last year and they are something different from the normal formula. Yes, Carter still played with the basic tonal set as the films but its time period and protagonist was like nothing Marvel had produced before. Most importantly these two products feel disconnected from the convoluted year spanning cosmic myth the films are trying to tell at the same times as 10 other stories. They are allowed to be their own thing and only interact in small meaningful ways.

Television has increasingly become the cultural marker of quality and experimentation that studio film making used to be (ok not really but let’s wax nostalgia at the thought) and what indie stuff is now. With the diversification of delivery systems so to has its voices diversified, leading to a cornucopia of offerings compared to the same safe large bets the studios place every year. Television is the place Marvel could really expand its universe in good character driven ways.

I am Michael Mazzacane you can follow me on Twitter and at ComicWeek.org

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#1 JediXMan  Moderator

I've wanted Netflix to do Punisher, Ghost Rider, and Blade for some time now. But I understand the apprehension regarding Ghost Rider - but Blade might not be too bad. It wouldn't require much in the way of CGI. Punisher is probably the best option.

The inclusion of these characters could send Netflix over to the goofy side,

How? I understand with Ghost Rider, but Blade? Netflix already has Hemlock Grove, which is about werewolves. Vampires shouldn't make things silly.

They want a “hard PG-13,” instead of an R.

... Daredevil was pretty violent. That did not feel like a "hard PG-13." That felt like an R.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

@jedixman: Now I consider The Dark Knight to basically be 'R' rated but if that is to be the standard of 'hard PG-13' DareDevil fit that bill very well. It's mostly the sound design when it comes that sort of stuff, and the level of wetness but DareDevil wasn't all that wet save for 3 key spots.

Devin Farci postulates that GR would be goofy in the way that Ninjas are an excepted piece of pop culture while dudes with flaming skulls where heads should be is not as acclimatized as Ninjas and is several levels of crazy past Ninjas.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Tyger

As an alternative, Punisher or Ghost Rider as 'chase' shows.

Others have already commented that Punisher might do better as a series antagonist. Similar to the Dolph Lundgren movie, but with more focus on the officer trying to catch him. Or heroes, if someone hires the 'Heroes for Hire' to go get him.

Ghost Rider could work in a similar manner. Like Daredevil, a lot of flashbacks. Have it about Johnny Blaze with a Hellfire shotgun on the trail of the new (Danny) Ghost Rider. CGI could be limited to a few flashback scenes and a handful of effects until near the end. Costuming and makeup for the weirder villains.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5 JediXMan  Moderator
@mrmazz said:

@jedixman: Now I consider The Dark Knight to basically be 'R' rated but if that is to be the standard of 'hard PG-13' DareDevil fit that bill very well. It's mostly the sound design when it comes that sort of stuff, and the level of wetness but DareDevil wasn't all that wet save for 3 key spots.

TDK was dark, but it wasn't actually bloody. Violent, yes, but not bloody, which is actually a better and more subtle way of doing things - violence without gore is usually more disturbing than violence with gore. Technically speaking, if we got anything close to the self-impaling scene in TDK or most movies, it would get an R-rating.

@mrmazz said:

Devin Farci postulates that GR would be goofy in the way that Ninjas are an excepted piece of pop culture while dudes with flaming skulls where heads should be is not as acclimatized as Ninjas and is several levels of crazy past Ninjas.

I can understand the notion that Ghost Rider would be silly. I think I misread the statement; I thought he was lumping Blade and Ghost Rider under the banner of being "silly" due to the inclusion of supernatural elements. Blade shouldn't come across as silly as long as he is handled well.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

So many more characters I would rather see than JJ and Luke Cage... Pretty disappointed by those decisions.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I liked more Dardevil that most of their movies.

Is a great example of how dark and mature should be.

If this is the line, then i will love all of this.