#1 Posted by OracleX (234 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/10/07/barnes-noble-pulls-dc-comics-kindle

Last week, DC Comics announced that it would be digitally releasing 100 backlist graphic novels exclusively on the Kindle Fire, an Amazon-owned e-reader, including classics like The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen. This decision did not go over well with mega-retailer Barnes and Noble, whose Nook e-reader was excluded by the deal, and has now decided to remove all copies of those specific DC titles from their brick and mortar stores.

In a statement to Publishers Weekly, a Barnes and Noble representative explained, "We pulled those 100 DC Comics graphic novels that we were not offered in digital format. Our policy is that unless we receive all formats of a title to make available to our customers, we will not sell those physical titles in our stores."

The titles will still be available online, and can be special ordered from stores. Barnes and Noble Chief Merchant told PW that they were not singling DC Comics out, and that this policy had been applied to other publishers as well: "In a few isolated instances, exclusive publisher deals have prohibited Barnes & Noble from selling certain eBooks, preventing millions of our digital customers from access to those titles. To sell and promote the physical book in our store showrooms, and not have the eBook available for sale would undermine our promise to Barnes & Noble customers to make available any book, anywhere, anytime."

Bleeding Cool notes that some Barnes and Noble staffers have called the decision to remove the books "short-sighted and reactionary," particularly in light of the recent closure of Borders and the big ongoing DC Comics relaunch aimed to bring new readers into the fold. While relaunch was primarily oriented around the new #1 single issues, DC's broad mainstream push -- which even included TV commercials -- certainly had the potential to generate interest in backlist book collections, an opportunity that now may be at least partially lost with no mass market book retailer to offer them in-store.

Will the removal of these books have any effect on you, as a reader?

UPDATE: Graeme McMillan reports the first official statement from DC Comics on the Barnes and Noble decision:

We are disappointed that Barnes & Noble has made the decision to remove these books off their shelves and make them unavailable to their customers.

DC Entertainment will continue to make our content available to our fans and new readers through multiple distribution channels including locally-owned comic book retailers, independent bookstores, other bookstore chains and other widespread means such as online through Amazon and through our apps on iOS and select Android powered devices as well as new and exciting devices going forward.

As one of the largest book publishers in North America, DC Entertainment's publishing strategy is to give our consumers the choice to read our stories in whichever format they prefer but we also know that nothing will ever take away from the joy and collectability of physical books, comics and graphic novels.

Read More: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/10/07/barnes-noble-pulls-dc-comics-kindle/#ixzz1a8wp89n4

I am more than a little mad about this. How can they remove all the hard copies from the stores? There are pictures on other sites show them removing the actual books. With Borders closed this is the only book store remotely close to me. I can't afford a Kindle and the only decent comic shop is on the edge of an area you don't want to be caught in after dark. Do these people realize that the only reason I go into their store for the graphic novels?

#2 Posted by Asymmetrical (27951 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to buy graphic novels at Barnes & Noble, and ironically bought 34 of those 100 trades there...but I don't think it's that big a deal, Barnes & Noble can go bankrupt for all I care, there trades were damaged more often then not and half the time I had to order through online and come back the next week to pick up my books because their actual stock was very limited. Amazon is the way to go.

#3 Posted by Timandm (3316 posts) - - Show Bio

What? When did Borders close?

And WHY would they pull the hard copies? That makes absolutely NO sense to me... So, since the books were not available in EVERY format, they refuse to sell even the hard cover? That's.. just... completely stupid...

#4 Posted by Sheep-Kill (617 posts) - - Show Bio

They are putting themselves out of business with the Nook to begin with. Don't they realize that? They are just going to put more people out of work. Way to go America way to go.

#5 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4211 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost said:

I used to buy graphic novels at Barnes & Noble, and ironically bought 34 of those 100 trades there...but I don't think it's that big a deal, Barnes & Noble can go bankrupt for all I care, there trades were damaged more often then not and half the time I had to order through online and come back the next week to pick up my books because their actual stock was very limited. Amazon is the way to go.

Agreed, sad to say but Amazon almost can't be beat.

Off topic but Books-A-million (while equally evil) had some pretty good prices on trades last time I went, there was like a "75% summer sale" or some jazz, but I walked away with 5 Marvel Hardbacks for about $20.

#6 Posted by The Stegman (26566 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm conflicted...i could care less about Barnes & Noble, but a girl i have a crush on works at the Starbucks that's inside the Barnes & Noble..so...yeah

#7 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2502 posts) - - Show Bio

Brilliant move, B&N. Let's alienate one of the factions that compose our ever-shrinking customer base.

I was actually debating investing in an e-reader, and I think this little stunt convinced me to go with the Kindle, simply because I don't want my money to support this kind of backwards-thinking inanity.

#8 Posted by FinnVarra (226 posts) - - Show Bio

This doesn't surprise me at all.  I was a manager at Barnes & Noble for 8 years, and let me tell ya, they are some dumb ass mofos. 

#9 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2502 posts) - - Show Bio

@FinnVarra: I suppose that, after all my years in retail, I should be used to this principle by now: the "higher ups" at your typical company are almost all painfully ignorant of their products and customers. I still remember having a conversation with a regional manager of the video company I worked for; she was on my case about why our store wasn't getting any God of War 3 preorders. I had to slowly explain to her several times that it was a mature-rated game that was only being released on a single system, and that our customer base was almost exclusively families with small children.

#10 Posted by FinnVarra (226 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadow_Thief said:

@FinnVarra: I suppose that, after all my years in retail, I should be used to this principle by now: the "higher ups" at your typical company are almost all painfully ignorant of their products and customers. I still remember having a conversation with a regional manager of the video company I worked for; she was on my case about why our store wasn't getting any God of War 3 preorders. I had to slowly explain to her several times that it was a mature-rated game that was only being released on a single system, and that our customer base was almost exclusively families with small children.

It's stories like this that make me glad I'm self employed now.  It's amazing how clueless higher ups can be.  They should make all of them spend some time on the register once in a while to stay grounded.
#11 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7970 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sheep-Kill said:

They are putting themselves out of business with the Nook to begin with. Don't they realize that? They are just going to put more people out of work. Way to go America way to go.

#12 Posted by LittleSocrates (42 posts) - - Show Bio

If you haven't been to the comics section of a B&N lately, they've generally got three or four shelves for Marvel, two shelves for most other publishers (three if their Walking Dead shipments just came in,) and one shelf for DC. Batman might merit another quarter-shelf at certain locations. Also, GL was available elsewhere in the store as promotion for the film.

B&N's a terrible place to get comics. Most people going to B&N for comics aren't buying them, they're reading them at the Starbucks downstairs and putting them back. Go to your library, or purchase from Amazon. Especially if you're buying DC.

#13 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7970 posts) - - Show Bio

@LittleSocrates said:

If you haven't been to the comics section of a B&N lately, they've generally got three or four shelves for Marvel, two shelves for most other publishers (three if their Walking Dead shipments just came in,) and one shelf for DC. Batman might merit another quarter-shelf at certain locations. Also, GL was available elsewhere in the store as promotion for the film.

B&N's a terrible place to get comics. Most people going to B&N for comics aren't buying them, they're reading them at the Starbucks downstairs and putting them back. Go to your library, or purchase from Amazon. Especially if you're buying DC.

Yeah, B&N isn't bad with selling comics but mostly its collected editions.

#14 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't buy my books from B&N, but I hope they don't go bankrupt. That's a hangout spot, dammit!

#15 Posted by TheOptimist (681 posts) - - Show Bio

Mm, when retailers do silly things like this, I generally roll my eyes. Since they've gone on all ultimatum on a publisher I enjoy, I find it simple enough to drop a casual (read: non-dramatic) response that I'll mirror their efforts. Until they drop this silly ban thing I'm just not going to bother buying from them. Especially since the only reason I was buying from their more expensive shelves without the same discount afforded by internet sources was just to support positive physical stores. It seems like a poor choice when you're about to begin sinking to start attacking potential lifeboats.

Also, maybe this will help my LCS more.

Also, I feel bizarrely inspired to seek out this Kindle Fire thing now. Interesting.